GWT: PL Matchweek 8

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Arsenal needs one more away win to equal the total amount of away wins from last year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Three aspects...

1. Arsenal just scored GOTY easily...
2. Iwobi is ****ing amazing.
3. Liverpool/City was like watching Huddersfield/Brighton.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Doesn't Keita bring a similar skill set?
Not really. But Chamberlain also qasnt at full power until November either. I dont think Keita has Chamberlain's pace though. Liverpool's best midfield will have Keita and Chamberlain in it if everyone is 100%

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Can’t say I’m not surprised Salah isn’t quite having the same season as last year. He’s definitely in a bit of a slump right now, but he’s just not a 40 goal scorer. Still a purely class player.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Can’t say I’m not surprised Salah isn’t quite having the same season as last year. He’s definitely in a bit of a slump right now, but he’s just not a 40 goal scorer. Still a purely class player.
j48xjp1lykq11.jpg

This was from before yesterday's game. I'm not saying he will score 40 again and I'm not saying he has been great, but statistically he is very close to last year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
j48xjp1lykq11.jpg

This was from before yesterday's game. I'm not saying he will score 40 again and I'm not saying he has been great, but statistically he is very close to last year.

I did say right now now he is in a bit of a slump right now and I’m sure he’ll start putting the ball in the net more regularly soon. I just think last season will most likely be his peak as a player and he’ll regress a little bit, which is still one of the best players in the league.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
j48xjp1lykq11.jpg

Exhibit A: in why you shouldn't use stats to judge a player... He's playing like hot garbage, if he wasn't you wouldn't have fans and Klopp encouraging him even after abysmal plays.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Exhibit A: in why you shouldn't use stats to judge a player... He's playing like hot garbage, if he wasn't you wouldn't have fans and Klopp encouraging him even after abysmal plays.
I didn't say he was having a good season, but I am also not going to bury him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Salah can't even handle a pass right now. He's been horrendous. The downfall has been almost as big as Clarkson when he left the Devils and signed as a star for the Leafs.
Pretty much I mean I'm obviously a big fan of his but he's been striaght trash this year. What ever his issue is he better fix it fast or LFC ain't going anywhere

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
You're kidding right? They're joint top and he hasn't even fired all that much.

It would be one thing if he was awful and they weren't getting any points.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You're kidding right? They're joint top and he hasn't even fired all that much.

Not only that, but within those 8 games they've played Chelsea and Spurs away and City home.
Neither Chelsea nor City have had remotely the schedule Liverpool has had.

My worry for Liverpool isn't the front 3, they'll come through, it's that their midfield is basically the same as last season right now, in an ideal 11.
Keita is still having issues (though I'm sure he'll get better), but Fabinho doesn't get a sniff of the pitch (and here I'm more worried, I was never sold on him or Bakayoko in Monaco).

In comparison with last season, their big gain is Joe Gomez, who's looked great and gives competition/depth to Lovren and TAA at CB and RB.

Lovren looked pretty good in his first game back, MOTM for a lot of people.
In fact, there was a stat the other day that since that Spurs game, VVD's errors led to more goalscoring chances for the opposition than Lovren's, but both ranked top both in PL and in CL so both did pretty damn well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
MOTM? Like when he uselessly fouled Aguero in the box by once again kicking the ankle instead of the ball?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
MOTM? Like when he uselessly fouled Aguero in the box by once again kicking the ankle instead of the ball?

What you talking about, Willis?

Ratings v City

On the whole, almost every outlet covering Liverpool was naming him one of Liverpool's top performers - fan sites included.

As far as the Aguero incident goes, he made a diving header, Gomez misplayed it and Aguero got the ball while Lovren was still getting up.
He made a rash move, made minimal contact with with Aguero - as the replays show, and no penalty was called - rightfully so.

EDIT: No idea if reddit links are allowed, please delete them if not, mods.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, that's not the play. In the first half, Lovren tried to kick the ball and missed (like he often doesn) and hit Aguero's ankle.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
No, that's not the play. In the first half, Lovren tried to kick the ball and missed (like he often doesn) and hit Aguero's ankle.

Lol what's that even mean, "like he often does"... Dude's been playing top notch football for a year, something everyone always knew he had it in him, just needed to do it consistently, and he seems to have found that consistency.
On the road to the CL and WC finals, was an absolute rock for both Liverpool and Croatia.

The only situation remotely similar to what your describing is at 1.23 of the video I linked:
- cross comes in, Lovren makes a diving header to clear it
- ball comes to Gomez, he miscues it and it comes back to Aguero
- Lovren is still getting up, and as he does makes a move with his left foot that looks dangerous, but ultimately, the contact is either very light or not there at all (Aguero doesn't appeal for a foul)
- Lovren then clears the ball to the corner

Regardless, like I said, by every outlet and fan sites following Liverpool, he was widely regarded as one of the top performers, and for a lot of them, MOTM.
Those are facts.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I can't look at the video right now. But Lovren did touch Aguero. Not sure if you watched the game, but everyone could see it in the GDT.
And yes Lovren often does that. He wants to kick the ball and kick the opponent.
The ref didn't call it because I think he saw the intent wasn't there, but it clearly was a 50/50 call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad