GWT: PL Matchweek 8

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Even based on statistics, United deserved to win today. 608 passes 222. Over 70% possession.

I only saw a bit of the game, so I don't have an opinion on whether they "deserved" to win or not, but those stats are practically meaningless

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Takeaways from the game:
Obviously first half was awful. Young was really bad on both goals and Bailly wasn't much better. Bailly confuses me so much because there are games where he can be the best player on the pitch and games where he is the worst. Young, on the other hand, is generally pretty bad defensively but makes up for it offensively. Shaw was pretty invisible all game for better or worse. McTominay is not a CB and should have never been put there. Matic did much better at CB. A couple clear chances missed for both teams in both halves. In the second half, Pogba came alive which awoken United. Lukaku wasn't great but he was also playing wide most the game for whatever reason. Martial was fantastic in the second half. Mata was great in the second half. Rashford missed a couple of sitters and you could tell it was weighing on him. This game further emphasizes I think pretty close to everyone's point that Pogba and Matic are the keys to United. Mou might have started the game all wrong, but the way they came out in the second half (and his substitutions) were great. On the Newcastle side, Yedlin had a fantastic game. Shelvey was crucial in the center. Kenedy had a great game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Still can’t get over that 1st half. The high school team I played on probably could’ve played a better 1st half.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Takeaways from the game:
Obviously first half was awful. Young was really bad on both goals and Bailly wasn't much better. Bailly confuses me so much because there are games where he can be the best player on the pitch and games where he is the worst. Young, on the other hand, is generally pretty bad defensively but makes up for it offensively. Shaw was pretty invisible all game for better or worse. McTominay is not a CB and should have never been put there. Matic did much better at CB. A couple clear chances missed for both teams in both halves. In the second half, Pogba came alive which awoken United. Lukaku wasn't great but he was also playing wide most the game for whatever reason. Martial was fantastic in the second half. Mata was great in the second half. Rashford missed a couple of sitters and you could tell it was weighing on him. This game further emphasizes I think pretty close to everyone's point that Pogba and Matic are the keys to United. Mou might have started the game all wrong, but the way they came out in the second half (and his substitutions) were great. On the Newcastle side, Yedlin had a fantastic game. Shelvey was crucial in the center. Kenedy had a great game.

Since he's usually marked by two players, I think the plan is to draw his markers with him and thus make space for others.

A rather philosophical post-game interview by Mourinho. Said Rashford and McTominay were "scared" and that at halftime the team promised each other to give everything and to play without fear.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So Pogba had one assist and a secondary assist. Not too bad for someone who sucks at creating and playmaking.

Reactions: Gecklund

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Since he's usually marked by two players, I think the plan is to draw his markers with him and thus make space for others.

A rather philosophical post-game interview by Mourinho. Said Rashford and McTominay were "scared" and that at halftime the team promised to each other give everything and to play without fear.

I think Rashford missing the sitter and then not being able to get quite high enough on the second ended up weighing on him.

McTominay probably was scared becuase he had no idea what he was doing.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So Pogba had one assist and a secondary assist. Not too bad for someone who sucks at creating and playmaking.

During the second half, players were actually making runs, creating space and doing short passing combinations. Basically elements that have been missing for most of the season. That's when Pogba thrives. Apart from the first half, he also wasn't holding on to the ball for too long, trying to dribble past everyone. Granted he played fairly low, probably at CB since McTominay wasn't comfortable at all there.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think Rashford missing the sitter and then not being able to get quite high enough on the second ended up weighing on him.

McTominay probably was scared becuase he had no idea what he was doing.

Yeah, the coaching staff should be aware now that he's not as versatile as Carrick. I wonder if this was his idea in the first place to see in McTominay could increase his versatility? :laugh:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's a good thing that the "Manc Ref" missed a handball for United 5 minutes later then huh?
Anthony Taylor is from Manchester, therefore he is a Manc ref. If he was from San Jose, he would be SJ ref.

What happened 5 minutes later is irrelevant.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
During the second half, players were actually making runs, creating space and doing short passing combinations. Basically elements that have been missing for most of the season. That's when Pogba thrives. Apart from the first half, he also wasn't holding on to the ball for too long, trying to dribble past everyone. Granted he played fairly low, probably at CB since McTominay wasn't comfortable at all there.
You still don't see a link between the two?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You still don't see a link between the two?

Yes but Pogba's been guilty of doing that even though there have been options available. I think what was most important today in his game was that he was calm, especially after that card, he didn't complain about decisions going against him/United and let that ruin his game.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
that looked a lot like the kind of goals arse used to score a long long time ago when they were a machine under Wenger...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The whole build-up was started from Ramsey easily evading pressure defensively and beautifully finishing it off. This is exactly why Juve are after him and why he'd be a great fit with stability. Amazing player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad