PL Matchweek 6

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

'Look at Klopp, he didn't win for how many years' he says.

This is gonna be the line that will enable Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd to justify their bad managers. Thanks Liverpool.

I’m very okay with these teams giving Ole, Lampard and Emery the leash that Klopp had, and more.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Klopp had a "leash," but...

This isn't much leash. This is being an amazing coach. The team immediately improved and improved massively again after one preseason.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
This isn't much leash. This is being an amazing coach. The team immediately improved and improved massively again after one preseason.

I don't know about leash. He had the full trust of the board.

He's done an amazing job, more so than Pep (not taking anything away from Pep, but City was in a good place before he got there, despite one mediocre season - tho Pep has obviously been nothing short of brilliant).
Liverpool were looking like they were ready to sink back into mediocrity and instead Klopp turned them into a top-7 club world-wide, a CL winner - and IMO, one of the two best teams in the world atm (other being City).

(just a reminder, we - West Ham - beat Liverpool 3 times in that season when Klopp got there, 3-0 away, 2-0 home, and 2-1 in ET in the FA Cup on an Ogbonna header... good times for WHU, but it shows how much Liverpool have grown since then)

I'm not a Liverpool fan, but this man is a fantastic tactician, a great man manager (by all accounts), has a sense of humor and seems fairly honest in his interviews - I love him - I'd be chuffed to have him as my manager and I hope Liverpool fans don't forget it he ever hits a rough patch (or decides to leave).

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It's also a bit hard to judge. There is no doubt whatsoever that Ole is not a very good manager. For all we know he will be replaced and Maguire will be very good or great. Like for example the way VVD played with Puel, then played only very good with Pellegrino, and now top class.
No doubt whatsoever?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They’ve won 5 of their last 19 games. 16 points from last 15 league games. Extrapolate that to a full season and that’s barely even top flight form.

He also got Cardiff relegated before this, and United has no discernible style of play as of yet. The performances really speak for themselves.

Personally I love him. Hope he stays forever.

Reactions: Chimaera

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
It's also a bit hard to judge. There is no doubt whatsoever that Ole is not a very good manager. For all we know he will be replaced and Maguire will be very good or great. Like for example the way VVD played with Puel, then played only very good with Pellegrino, and now top class.

I may be wrong, but I just don't see it with Maguire. He makes so many basic positional mistakes that for some reason go unnoticed, or at the very least, not talked about.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
No doubt whatsoever?

I’m not sure about *no* doubt. But there’s very little evidence that he’s a good coach.

His only good stretch was before the team took to his system. It was Jose’s system plus more effort.

TBH I’m not even sure what his system is. They have no discernible identity.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Not to mention the fact that they played mostly crap teams for the first couple months after his appointment.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Many managers get a boost when they first come in. Heck, a lot of those players had a giant reason to stick it to Jose. That only lasts so far.

he’s not a bad guy, he just can’t out manage his surroundings. Throw into that the fact that other teams aren’t afraid of United and it’s not going well.

If ownership is smart, they whack him and Woodward and give a builder time to continue development of players, they can get back there in a couple seasons. The problem is they’re going to whack him, buy a name or two and wonder why they’re still in 5th.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
United and Spurs are pretty much in relegation battle form for 15+ games. Makes me start to think if Leicester really can qualify for the Champions League.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
United and Spurs are pretty much in relegation battle form for 15+ games. Makes me start to think if Leicester really can qualify for the Champions League.
People are titling the Arsenal-Utd feature as 'El Sackico'. :biglaugh:

:cry:

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
People are titling the Arsenal-Utd feature as 'El Sackico'. :biglaugh:

:cry:

Too early for Emery. I'm encouraged with how he's developing Douzi and playing Saka in an EPL match. I'm hoping the players bail him out to top 4 and then they don't renew his contract and find a better coach.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Too early for Emery. I'm encouraged with how he's developing Douzi and playing Saka in an EPL match. I'm hoping the players bail him out to top 4 and then they don't renew his contract and find a better coach.

His offensive tactics are a joke, they lack all kind of variance and mostly consist of low cutbacks through the wing. He is way to conservative on most occasions, inviting pressure, failing to both create and organize the defense. His team selections are very poor and inconsistent, he doesn't know his best team and switches it up way to often, which may be a reason for the lack of understanding and organization in defensive midfield. Giving chances to a few young players changes absolutely nothing when you can't handle the basics of managing a football match, and it is nothing another manager won't be able to do. I would sack him right now without hesitation, with the quality in our squad we should so much better than we are.

Reactions: phisherman

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The clip of Woodward throwing his hands up when we were down 2 was classic. The guy is so out of touch with football that he’s surprised that all his hard work isn’t paying off.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah I know that’s why I’m not actively in the Ole Out. I do think we need to get a DOF and then let them decide who they want.

Yea firing Ole at this point doesn’t really do anything if they’re not willing to overhaul the front office on the football side.

Sure you might get a good manager and make the CL with a good signing or three, but they’ll always be at a disadvantage to City and Liverpool and even other teams who have a coherent strategy.

Reactions: Jussi and Gecklund

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Yea firing Ole at this point doesn’t really do anything if they’re not willing to overhaul the front office on the football side.

Sure you might get a good manager and make the CL with a good signing or three, but they’ll always be at a disadvantage to City and Liverpool and even other teams who have a coherent strategy.

The only thing that will wake them up is losing. It's THE only wake up call. No europe, mid table tv money, etc.

They need to hit rock bottom. They're still drinking. I would never root against United, but this is a reckoning that has been coming and needs to happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad