PL Matchweek 6

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m not saying that I would rather have Matip than Laporte, but I think Laporte is overrated and Matip is underrated. Laporte isn’t an automatic just because he is the best CB on City. He doesn’t usually have to defend very often. Rudiger’s game is based on athleticism and he is coming back from a BAD injury. I don’t think he will have a better season than Matip.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Soyuncu is a huge reason why Leicester have currently given up so few goals so far.
They have the same mid and defense, they only swapped Maguire for Soyuncu and their defense is immensely better.

What does it say about Maguire/Soyuncu?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
"On form", Diop is easily in the conversation. He isn't insulated the way he would be on Liverpool/Tottenham either.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
They have the same mid and defense, they only swapped Maguire for Soyuncu and their defense is immensely better.

What does it say about Maguire/Soyuncu?

Last year through 6 games Leicester had 7.29 xGA compared to 5.58 this year
Last year through 6 games United had 8.58 xGA compared to 3.84 this year

Reactions: Aladyyn

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
On form he is currently better than the Tottenham players, and on form he is currently better than the injured players. So yes.

I mean, on form he is currently better in that they have no form because they are injured. It's like saying that on form Kasper Schmeichel is better than Alisson because Schmeichel is currently playing. Matip is great and does a good job at what he's assigned to do, but this is silly.

Laporte is easily better than Matip. I would say Rudiger has been comfortably better the past two seasons. Both of Alderweireld and Vertonghen are better than he is. He's a very good CB and he's off to a good start this year (although the timing of this point is weird considering he was kinda meh yesterday), but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

Not sure to put this here or in the hot takes thread. AB is going to go insane.

He’s also been featured on a few PL team of week lists I’ve seen. I didn’t watch this Arsenal week but I always felt he’s still getting his feet u set him. A young kid with loads of potential working out some kinks and inconsistencies in his game. Should get a confidence boost from this latest performance.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, on form he is currently better in that they have no form because they are injured. It's like saying that on form Kasper Schmeichel is better than Alisson because Schmeichel is currently playing. Matip is great and does a good job at what he's assigned to do, but this is silly.

Laporte is easily better than Matip. I would say Rudiger has been comfortably better the past two seasons. Both of Alderweireld and Vertonghen are better than he is. He's a very good CB and he's off to a good start this year (although the timing of this point is weird considering he was kinda meh yesterday), but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Was really impressed with Tomori yesterday

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Matip has done well for the most part (he's had some rough games this season, not sure how anyone could tout him as the 2nd best CB in the league). Gomez is better than Matip and will replace him sooner than later.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Maguire is merely a good player is what it says. Also an enormous waste of money.

I’m not sure any honest United fans would disagree with that.

He’s a big improvement on what we had, although that's far more a comment on who is behind him on the depth chart than it is on him.

United could have, and should have, found a player of his caliber available for maybe 1/3 the price.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Matip has done well for the most part (he's had some rough games this season, not sure how anyone could tout him as the 2nd best CB in the league). Gomez is better than Matip and will replace him sooner than later.
:laugh:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I’m not sure any honest United fans would disagree with that.

He’s a big improvement on what we had, although that's far more a comment on who is behind him on the depth chart than it is on him.

United could have, and should have, found a player of his caliber available for maybe 1/3 the price.

It's also a bit hard to judge. There is no doubt whatsoever that Ole is not a very good manager. For all we know he will be replaced and Maguire will be very good or great. Like for example the way VVD played with Puel, then played only very good with Pellegrino, and now top class.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
On form he is currently better than the Tottenham players, and on form he is currently better than the injured players. So yes.

That's like your opinion, man.
Matip is not better than Laporte or Tobi.
Playing next to VVD makes him look a better player than he is, too. Anyways, it was a good signing

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Matip has never played at the level that Gomez did before his injury last season. Which he was replicating at the international level (before people chime in with the van Dijk effect, even though Gomez was more impressive than van Dijk in many of those games). I can’t wait for that partnership to resume; they complement each other very well.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's also a bit hard to judge. There is no doubt whatsoever that Ole is not a very good manager. For all we know he will be replaced and Maguire will be very good or great. Like for example the way VVD played with Puel, then played only very good with Pellegrino, and now top class.
Come now, I’ve read repeatedly (and been given crap for it) that Ole is a good manager and more than prepared to run that club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad