PL Matchweek 6

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wasn’t a foul? The Chelsea player kicked Mane in the back of the leg. I’m not sure how there’s an argument. Some people must watch EPL Braille edition.
:huh:
As clear as a foul as you can get.. second goal foul was more questionable.
Nope it was as soft as you can imagine, however, if it was a foul then Mane fouled the player right before the player returned the foul. So either way, it should be Chelsea's ball and not a free kick.

Went to my first EPL game today. Arsenal (10 men) comeback against Aston Villa. What a treat.
And how was it mate?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Nope it was as soft as you can imagine, however, if it was a foul then Mane fouled the player right before the player returned the foul. So either way, it should be Chelsea's ball and not a free kick.

Not a foul? It's in there for you to watch. Maybe you're too used to watching bad players by now, but this is absolutely certainly a foul.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Not a foul? It's in there for you to watch. Maybe you're too used to watching bad players by now, but this is absolutely certainly a foul.

Yup not a foul, the Chelsea player was just trying to drag the ball while Mane literally HELD it up within his feet. Counter my point about a foul before Mane's foul, on replay there wasn't. However, there was still no foul there or are we trying to make our sport look like a p***y sport?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yup not a foul, the Chelsea player was just trying to drag the ball while Mane literally HELD it up within his feet. Counter my point about a foul before Mane's foul, on replay there wasn't. However, there was still no foul there or are we trying to make our sport look like a ***** sport?

What he was trying to do was drag the ball. What he did do was kick Mane. Which is a foul.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I have no idea how anyone could even argue that wasn't a foul against Mane when the defender full on kicked him in the back of the leg when trying to get the ball. It's like...indefensible (you'd think).

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea that's as clear a foul as you'll see.

At least the second was moderately debatable, although Alonso didn't just stand his ground, he came out and then jumped. It's a situation that would be given outside the box the vast majority of the time, but is give less in the box because that's how refs are.

Also LOL at the second goal. Chelsea literally have 8 players in their own 6 yard box and yet give Firmono an unmarked header. It's legit impressive to leave that much open space with that many defenders in there.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yea that's as clear a foul as you'll see.

At least the second was moderately debatable, although Alonso didn't just stand his ground, he came out and then jumped. It's a situation that would be given outside the box the vast majority of the time, but is give less in the box because that's how refs are.

Also LOL at the second goal. Chelsea literally have 8 players in their own 6 yard box and yet give Firmono an unmarked header. It's legit impressive to leave that much open space with that many defenders in there.
Yeah I was happy when Firmino scored but I was also like...how did he get a completely free header in that area of the box? That was comical defending. Although I think it was Azpi that gave away the foul.

chelseas-spanish-defender-cesar-azpilicueta-fouls-liverpools-dutch-picture-id1170202862

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
That was actually an unreal finish by Chambers on the second goal. Kind of surprised they pulled it out today, but we shall take it and move on. Huge game next week now!

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

I can't wait for Mou's next job lol. He's turn into sour Mou within a few months, but he'll squeeze what he can out of every team he manages.

His (or Woodward's) signings were questionable, but the fact that he finished 2nd and won the Europa League (and the EFL Cup) with this Man Utd team is an achievement that looks only better now.

Put it like this... If I wanted a manager on a 3+ year plan with a good budget to back him up, I pick Pep or Klopp. Their signings are perfect (if pricey), their plan solid and it leads to success at some point.

But to do what you can with an existing team, to squeeze out every bit out of a limited roster, I'd go Mou - HM to Conte.

I know he's miserable (Mou), but his punditry is so honest he seems to be the smiling, charming Mou of 2004-2008.

Also, every time he talks, the rest in the studio look like kids compared to him.

Reactions: Jussi

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Note on the watching a match that is different than others, I'm certainly guilty as well. I thought Matip looked relatively culpable for many of Chelsea's chances (the free header for Batshuayi for one looked like Matip was caught in no man's land) whereas he was voted man of the match.

It's all relative, but that foul was a clear foul in every sense of the word.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That isn't the only thing he's not good at. Painfully average defender. And he cost like 40m, right?
I really think, especially on form Liverpool has the best LB, the best RB and the best two CBS in the league right now. I’m not even sure if this is a hot take. Only Virgil cost a transfer fee, and no one can say he wasn’t worth that price either.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I really think, especially on form Liverpool has the best LB, the best RB and the best two CBS in the league right now. I’m not even sure if this is a hot take. Only Virgil cost a transfer fee, and no one can say he wasn’t worth that price either.

Matip is not the second best CB in the league.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Matip is not the second best CB in the league.
Right now he is, and after all we are in the PL Matchweek 6 Thread. He has been in outstanding form since April. He has been just as good, if not better than Virgil recently. He is keeping Gomez out of the team too. Had a great Champions League Final too. He has become very underrated

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Matip is the second best CB in the league only if we don't count the multiple presently injured CBs who are better than him, and pretend that Tottenham got relegated.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think I'd take Rudiger, Laporte and Tottenham's Belgian CBs over him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Matip is the second best CB in the league only if we don't count the multiple presently injured CBs who are better than him, and pretend that Tottenham got relegated.

I think I'd take Rudiger, Laporte and Tottenham's Belgian CBs over him.

On form he is currently better than the Tottenham players, and on form he is currently better than the injured players. So yes.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
'On-Form', Söyüncü is probably better than any PL CB this season.
He has been really good too. Leicester might be the 3rd best team in the league.

Crazy how Leicester and West Ham have better managers than Arsenal and Man Utd right now

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think you'd take him over a handful of players in the EPL, but he's playing better than most of the rest.

I don't think it would be hard to take a few of the injured guys over him (Laporte is better, and Rudiger can be better though I think it's close), and generally, I think you'd take Vertonghen or Alderweireld over him, though right now Matip is in better form. I also think Matip's step up play and distribution fit better to what Liverpool want to do.

That said, I've felt he was massively underrated, and in general has been good value for what Liverpool paid. But playing next to Virgil has to be easier, along with some of the consistency in the backline that other clubs don't have. His potential dips in form would make me pause, but right now, he's keeping Gomez out of the lineup with ease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad