GWT: PL Matchweek 38 FINALE

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Still don’t see why he wants to go, but I guess he wants a new challenge and a hefty paycheck.
Apparently he didn't want to go based on what he said. Interested to hear the whole story eventually.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's pretty clear what happened. He thinks he deserves a longer contract and they have numbers on how much he's run and played that tell them not to give him one. Both sides are fair in their assessments.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Wijnaldum
"I'm fighting against tears right now. The people in Liverpool have shown me love during the five years. I will miss them, you know?
"I hoped to have played many more years for the club but unfortunately things went different. I have to start a new adventure.
"I knew I went to a big club. I remember that I was sitting in the living room and the manager said when I come to Liverpool we would win prizes.
"I am happy it went that well. It would have been really painful to leave the club without any.
"It's really special. Since I've joined the fans have sung my name. Week-in, week-out they saw I was giving 100 per cent to give everything for this club.
"That's what the supporters want to see and that's what they appreciate from me. It is something I'm going to miss."
"I didn't sign somewhere else. Everyone knows in football everything can happen. The situation is right now that on 1 July I am not a Liverpool player.
"We will see what I will do in the next couple of weeks. I will rest a little bit then go to the national team. I will have to look at my story and how everything went.
"The fans deserve to know the story behind it."

Reactions: YNWA14

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think he also feels he is a bang on starter. I don’t know that Klopp sees that.

I get that he would want more term and more money, but I can’t think they’re miles apart unless he thinks he should get Salah money.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean yeah, let lfc and Chelsea enjoy quarter final exists.... some care about silverwareZ
FA Cup Prize £1.8m

Champion League:
Group participation brings a base fee of £2.5m

also helps significantly with player recruitment (obviously)

Like if I was Europa league or Lower, hell yeah give me the FA Cup, but I’m not throwing away a chance at CL for a FA Cup and honestly it says a lot about Rodgers that he couldn’t balance both.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
FA Cup Prize £1.8m

Champion League:

Like if I was Europa league or Lower, hell yeah give me the FA Cup, but I’m not throwing away a chance at CL for a FA Cup and honestly it says a lot about Rodgers that he couldn’t balance both.

It wasn't him. Their players decided they would rather drink for the week of the West Ham game and weren't allowed to play. They also couldn't beat ten man Southampton and didn't even try against Newcastle. It is a bottle job but to me it rests solely on the players.

Reactions: luiginb and YNWA14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It wasn't him. Their players decided they would rather drink for the week of the West Ham game and weren't allowed to play. They also couldn't beat ten man Southampton and didn't even try against Newcastle. It is a bottle job but to me it rests solely on the players.
Wasn’t just him but he is certainly a part of it. Klopp or Pep doesn’t let the players get wasted after the FA cup game in the middle of a top four fight. Absolutely not. It’s both.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
FA Cup Prize £1.8m

Champion League:

What does it say about Rodgers that he couldn't balance top 4 (by one point) with winning the FA Cup over the big teams with Leicester City and their incredibly deep team (assuming we're putting the blame on him for it somehow)?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What does it say about Rodgers that he couldn't balance top 4 (by one point) with winning the FA Cup over the big teams with Leicester City and their incredibly deep team (assuming we're putting the blame on him for it somehow)?
Rodgers has a deserved stigma of not being a closer. That isn’t going away because he won a FA Cup.

Do you think Chelsea would rather have 4 th or FA Cup and 5th?

Leicester was in top 4 for 93% of the season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Rodgers has a deserved stigma of not being a closer. That isn’t going away because he won a FA Cup.

So again, this is taking a very narrow view. It's a 38 game season in which Leicester neither had the quality or depth to compete on multiple fronts, going deep in multiple competitions, nor keep that level up for the tail end of the season especially when clubs with bigger budgets, more quality and much more depth were eliminated and pushing hard for qualification. Meanwhile Leicester owners probably don't care too much about the difference in prize money from the FA Cup to 4th place; the last time they were in the CL it didn't change their recruitment strategy and I highly doubt it would this time. Just because the FA Cup doesn't mean anything to you doesn't mean it doesn't mean anything to them and getting that silverware means a great deal to a lot of people especially in England. Were they supposed to punt the FA Cup so they could make the CL and then punt the CL and FA Cup next season so they could finish top 4 again or? Not to mention if not for individual player errors they still would have comfortably made top 4 anyway, so the competitions were managed fine; it's like blaming Rodgers for Gerrard slipping or Henderson taking a terribly unnecessary red card in the failed title bid (which was incredibly unlikely and a massive feat in and of itself with that group that he doesn't get any credit for, for whatever reason).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Wasn’t just him but he is certainly a part of it. Klopp or Pep doesn’t let the players get wasted after the FA cup game in the middle of a top four fight. Absolutely not. It’s both.

The fact is that you can't control the players once they're gone from the training ground, and if there's games where they don't listen to you on the pitch, it's their fault. And in this case very clearly it seems to be their fault.

As for our players it's a problem Klopp doesn't have to deal with because so many of them are Muslim. But Alexander-Arnold and Robertson sure looked like they were on the ale towards the end of last season, so I'm not sure that's a fair criticism. And Firmino drunk drove on the wrong side of the road.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So again, this is taking a very narrow view. It's a 38 game season in which Leicester neither had the quality or depth to compete on multiple fronts, going deep in multiple competitions, nor keep that level up for the tail end of the season especially when clubs with bigger budgets, more quality and much more depth were eliminated and pushing hard for qualification. Meanwhile Leicester owners probably don't care too much about the difference in prize money from the FA Cup to 4th place; the last time they were in the CL it didn't change their recruitment strategy and I highly doubt it would this time. Just because the FA Cup doesn't mean anything to you doesn't mean it doesn't mean anything to them and getting that silverware means a great deal to a lot of people especially in England. Were they supposed to punt the FA Cup so they could make the CL and then punt the CL and FA Cup next season so they could finish top 4 again or? Not to mention if not for individual player errors they still would have comfortably made top 4 anyway, so the competitions were managed fine; it's like blaming Rodgers for Gerrard slipping or Henderson taking a terribly unnecessary red card in the failed title bid (which was incredibly unlikely and a massive feat in and of itself with that group that he doesn't get any credit for, for whatever reason).
I will always blame Rodgers for his moronic tactics for that f’n Chelsea game.

Leicester the standards need to be higher. You need to keep your team on track and not let them play the Chelsea game hungover and not lose at home to a Tottenham team is complete disarray.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The fact is that you can't control the players once they're gone from the training ground, and if there's games where they don't listen to you on the pitch, it's their fault. And in this case very clearly it seems to be their fault.

As for our players it's a problem Klopp doesn't have to deal with because so many of them are Muslim. But Alexander-Arnold and Robertson sure looked like they were on the ale towards the end of last season, so I'm not sure that's a fair criticism. And Firmino drunk drove on the wrong side of the road.
I’m not saying the players have to be saints. And yeah LFC were only in one competition that they won for the first time in 30 years. They didn’t have anything else to fight for. There’s a difference.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It’s a little different considering Chelsea has won several FA Cups already (including as recently as 2018) while it was a first for Leicester and helped stamp their legitimacy after not winning anything else since the miracle season of ‘15-16.

Imagine if Leicester actually didn’t get either, Rodgers would really be on the hot seat then…

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I will always blame Rodgers for his moronic tactics for that f’n Chelsea game.

He played the same tactics that he was using the entire season. Why would he deviate from that? This is so silly.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s a little different considering Chelsea has won several FA Cups already (including as recently as 2018) while it was a first for Leicester and helped stamp their legitimacy after not winning anything else since the miracle season of ‘15-16.

Imagine if Leicester actually didn’t get either, Rodgers would really be on the hot seat then…
I don’t agree with any of this. I think Leicester has certainly solidified themselves over the last two seasons. They had a chance to go into the champions league in back to back seasons on the last day of the season. The silverware is obviously nice but having back to champions league gives you just as much legitimacy if not more.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He played the same tactics that he was using the entire season. Why would he deviate from that? This is so silly.
It was the wrong move and Everyone knew it was the wrong move, including in his own locker room. Did exactly what Jose wanted him to do and paid for it.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
It was the wrong move and Everyone knew it was the wrong move, including in his own locker room. Did exactly what Jose wanted him to do and paid for it.
It was 7 years ago and they won a champions league and league title since. Plus had they won that year Klopp doesnt come in. Move on.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It was 7 years ago and they won a champions league and league title since. Plus had they won that year Klopp doesnt come in. Move on.
Who says I haven’t moved on? I’m good, but that also doesn’t change history or make it any worse of a loss.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Who says I haven’t moved on? I’m good, but that also doesn’t change history or make it any worse of a loss.
Clearly your vendetta against Rodgers. But it is your opinion if this is the way you feel about him, so be it. That team won 13 games in a row (one off the league record at the time). But again, that was 7 years ago so nothing else I feel like discussing. Cheers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad