GWT: PL Matchweek 37

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Just a reminder that the only reason Phillips is on Liverpool right now Swansea reneged on a transfer this summer. MOTM performance today and a possible season saving month of work

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So keep him as a third or fourth option. Don't prioritize the guy that is going to win headers against Chris Wood, that shouldn't be Liverpool's aim. Take the more complete player who is more progressive on the ball and can read a situation better.
Phillips is the more complete player than Kabak; I don't know where this 'just using him to win headers' thing came from.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I would be perfectly happy to go into next season with Virgil, Matip, Gomez, Phillips & Kabak, and use whatever money budgeted for CB to reallocate for a more expensive attacking player.

I’d rather much buy Sancho than (for example based on strongest links) Bissouma and Konate

Reactions: YNWA14

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Villa gave debuts to 17 year old Carney Chukuemeka and 19 year old Jaden Philogene-Bidace last night.

Chukwuemeka is worth keeping an eye on. Very talented CM.

Reactions: luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Has Phillips been good in a tough situation? Yes. But some are acting like he’s Bobby Moore. He has over-performed expectations which were clearly low, but he’s not good enough to play for Liverpool regularly. Even if he was, he needs matches to round out what is a struggle (reading the game and reacting to things, as his foot speed is poor).

As for better than Kabak, Kabak did fine against quality opponents, considering he has had maybe a couple weeks worth of training now (if that, during the CL, they barely train because of recovery). He also allows Klopp to play how he wants, which is with a high line. Like it or not, but that’s why Gomez is here, why Konate is probably coming and why VVD has been great, because their recovery pace allows the club to play up. Phillips gets shredded when that’s the case. He also does not handle the ball well, and for as well as he heads it, Chris Wood was getting joy against him.

Ideally, a 4th defender wouldn’t play much, but over the history of the club of late, the fourth choice gets way more minutes than anyone wants / expects. So do better than a 24 year old who was meh at Stuttgart.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If you have followed LFC closely over the years you would know that their achille heal is their defending against physical team and on set plays. From memory they always struggled and only VVD could manage these physical teams. No mater how you bring that up 3pts whatever team you play against is very important. And they have dropped so many easy/cheap points over the years for that specific reason.. Even your B&H team has bullied the LFC backline the past few years on set plays. If you play against the city or chelsea team you can start Gomez but when you need extra physicality you can have Phillips to help.

As for reading situation, Kabak is anything but that. Many times even in his short spell at LFC he has shown poor anticipation and created prime chances for the other team. I don't care if you can make longer passes, the primary goal is to not concede goals and Phillips is way better at that. Obviously he would be a 3rd or even 4th option but he is clearly ahead of Kabak in my book. No need to use the buy option.

Heck just last year, Liverpool lost their perfect record for that specific reason when Deeney man handled Lovren physically and helped creating the key goals for Watford.

Kabak gets a little bit of a pass from me considering he came in during an off-year at Pool and has not had the time or been in the best environment to acclimatize to the prem. A lot of his praise has been speed, decision making, and leadership of the backline; tough to show attributes after 5 months. I don't dislike Phillips as a player, he is solid, just don't think he is the answer long term. Also, the issue of Liverpool setpieces might be larger than I'm giving credit, but really, just beat Brighton with one of your world-class players, Phillips won't be the difference in points in those games imo.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It’s crazy talk really. English footballers have come a long way in the past few generations, but generally they are still extremely overrated relative to their peers. They generally are just not as smooth, technically proficient or creative as their continental Euro or South American and African counterparts.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Kabak gets a little bit of a pass from me considering he came in during an off-year at Pool and has not had the time or been in the best environment to acclimatize to the prem. A lot of his praise has been speed, decision making, and leadership of the backline; tough to show attributes after 5 months. I don't dislike Phillips as a player, he is solid, just don't think he is the answer long term. Also, the issue of Liverpool setpieces might be larger than I'm giving credit, but really, just beat Brighton with one of your world-class players, Phillips won't be the difference in points in those games imo.
I think people forget how young Kabak is, and how “old” Phillips is

Reactions: luiginb

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think people forget how young Kabak is, and how “old” Phillips is
I never said he was old, just that he has had 2 more years of experience. To me Phillips is what he is, he likely gets a little better but nothing too out of this word.

Not saying Kabak is going to evolve into some world-beater either, but I think his toolkit at 21 shows more promise, that is all.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I never said he was old, just that he has had 2 more years of experience. To me Phillips is what he is, he likely gets a little better but nothing too out of this word.

Not saying Kabak is going to evolve into some world-beater either, but I think his toolkit at 21 shows more promise, that is all.
Oh for sure. I know you didn’t. I think it’s goes the other way around that people assume Phillips is Kabak age

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad