GWT: PL Matchweek 37

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Their last few losses especially the one against Newcastle. Dropping points against ten men Saints. Completely inexcusable.
Leicester are choke artist. They did even worse last year. They have no composure and killing instinct. Humm.. Brenden Rodgers effect?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I am seriously thinking he could take over Gomez role at CB.

He has been a revelation. He has untapped potential too. He just keep improving game by game.
Eh I don't think that he has Gomez's potential. When Gomez was healthy and flying with van Dijk he was genuinely world class. Phillips is a very solid defender but not more than #3 on a team like Liverpool. I'm happy to have him and I hope he stays and gets more chances to play but if Gomez returns to full fitness it should be his position to lose.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
People talking about Leicester as a bunch of chokers as though a 38 game season isn't meant to even things out over time. They're a team competing against better teams with bigger budgets. That they are where they are is impressive, and they just won their first ever FA Cup in their club's history. I think they're doing just fine all things considered.

Were Liverpool and Chelsea likely to consistently play at the level they had been before? Not really. Do Leicester have the depth to keep up a top 3 level all season long? Probably not. That Leicester even has a chance to finish top 4 is a testament to how well they've done on top of winning the FA Cup.

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Leicester are choke artist. They did even worse last year. They have no composure and killing instinct. Humm.. Brenden Rodgers effect?
They won a trophy. They just don't have depth and are suffering from multiple injuries. They also had a brutal last few games of the season, which, in turn, likely inflated their point totals to date.

Reactions: YNWA14

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They won a trophy. They just don't have depth and are suffering from multiple injuries. They also had a brutal last few games of the season, which, in turn, likely inflated their point totals to date.

Yes, but in greater context, three players deciding they would rather drink than play is a really big deal. The Newcastle and Southampton results are also absolutely absurd. Southampton did also have only ten players for 80 minutes.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yes, but in greater context, three players deciding they would rather drink than play is a really big deal. The Newcastle and Southampton results are also absolutely absurd. Southampton did also have only ten players for 80 minutes.
Sure, I'll grant the drinking one. As for the results, they're hardly the first team to drop points to bottom half of the table sides. City dropped points to a 10-manned Leeds, for example (admittedly they're top half but only just)

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Sure, I'll grant the drinking one. As for the results, they're hardly the first team to drop points to bottom half of the table sides. City dropped points to a 10-manned Leeds, for example (admittedly they're top half but only just)
When you know all you have to do is beat Newcastle to get the CL, it's a screw up. Same thing for West Ham.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I am seriously thinking he could take over Gomez role at CB.

He has been a revelation. He has untapped potential too. He just keep improving game by game.
This is ridiculous. He’s the best of a meh lot, and he’s shown a lot of hard work. But I’d move him on in a heartbeat if the money was right.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This is ridiculous. He’s the best of a meh lot, and he’s shown a lot of hard work. But I’d move him on in a heartbeat if the money was right.

I'd keep him just for games like the one today. Burnley is really good in the air and they didn't win shit from him.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'm convinced that Kane is leaving Spurs this summer after that final whistle today. Don't blame him.

Son could be going out too now

I had been thinking that he would stay but the way he lingered on the pitch sure looked like he was saying his farewell. Can't blame him either.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'd keep him just for games like the one today. Burnley is really good in the air and they didn't win shit from him.
To an extent I agree, but depends on what the value is. You can find a dude from Estonia or Greece to play as your fourth string and head the ball. Someone might pay 10-12 for Phillips because he’s English.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is it time to talk about whether Willock should make the England squad or does he need to score next week first?
Hopefully Arteta gives him a real shot at the squad next year too. I'm worried he gets a brief look and is then loaned out again.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
To an extent I agree, but depends on what the value is. You can find a dude from Estonia or Greece to play as your fourth string and head the ball. Someone might pay 10-12 for Phillips because he’s English.
Why would you risk paying 10-12 to get a maybe instead of keeping what you really have on hand? As far as we are concerned we should do all in our power to retain him. He has shown more than Kabak (for comparison).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Why would you risk paying 10-12 to get a maybe instead of keeping what you really have on hand? As far as we are concerned we should do all in our power to retain him. He has shown more than Kabak (for comparison).
I don’t think he’s shown more than Kabak.

he can’t play how Klopp wants them to play.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Kabak's also the slightly younger option and personally, I think he has a higher ceiling than Phillips.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t think he’s shown more than Kabak.

he can’t play how Klopp wants them to play.
I disagree. Phillips has been vital lately and delivered when needed. He is amazing in the air and he has shown courage that has been missing on the backend. I would even say he has been a leader even though he has played less than 20 games at LFC. Kabak has been very average and he is all hype based on his reputation and no real substance. He is also prone to errors.

What exactly is Klopp want them to play?! Don't tell me like VVD, the guy is a unicorn. I am pretty sure if you asked Klopp right now if he is satisfied by Phillips and he would say hell yes! He play within his limit and he is so good at winning the ball back. Never forces play and he he is very consistent.

I take Nate Phillips 100% before Kabak. He is perfect for team like West Brom/Burnley that like to bully defenses with their physicality.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I disagree. Phillips has been vital lately and delivered when needed. He is amazing in the air and he has shown courage that has been missing on the backend. I would even say he has been a leader even though he has played less than 20 games at LFC. Kabak has been very average and he is all hype based on his reputation and no real substance. He is also prone to errors.

What exactly is Klopp want them to play?! Don't tell me VVD, the guy is a unicorn. I am pretty sure if you asked Klopp right now if he is satisfied by Phillips and he would say hell yes! He play within his limit and he is so good at winning the ball back. Never forces play and he he is very consistent.

I take Nate Phillips 100% before Kabak. He is perfect for team like West Brom/Burnley that like to bully defenses with their physicality.
Yeah I don't get anyone wanting to keep Kabak. He's been well below Phillips' level and I don't think he's shown enough upside to justify pushing Phillips out for him at all.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So keep him as a third or fourth option. Don't prioritize the guy that is going to win headers against Chris Wood, that shouldn't be Liverpool's aim. Take the more complete player who is more progressive on the ball and can read a situation better.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
So keep him as a third or fourth option. Don't prioritize the guy that is going to win headers against Chris Wood, that shouldn't be Liverpool's aim. Take the more complete player who is more progressive on the ball and can read a situation better.
If you have followed LFC closely over the years you would know that their achille heal is their defending against physical team and on set plays. From memory they always struggled and only VVD could manage these physical teams. No mater how you bring that up 3pts whatever team you play against is very important. And they have dropped so many easy/cheap points over the years for that specific reason.. Even your B&H team has bullied the LFC backline the past few years on set plays. If you play against the city or chelsea team you can start Gomez but when you need extra physicality you can have Phillips to help.

As for reading situation, Kabak is anything but that. Many times even in his short spell at LFC he has shown poor anticipation and created prime chances for the other team. I don't care if you can make longer passes, the primary goal is to not concede goals and Phillips is way better at that. Obviously he would be a 3rd or even 4th option but he is clearly ahead of Kabak in my book. No need to use the buy option.

Heck just last year, Liverpool lost their perfect record for that specific reason when Deeney man handled Lovren physically and helped creating the key goals for Watford.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Kabak won't be kept. They should sign Konate and have Phillips as the 4th CB. Young player can be van den Berg and Koumetio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad