GWT: PL Matchweek 31

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
He didn't "leave a leg out" he was running normally and then swung his leg off left in a totally unnatural motion to try to draw a foul.
That's nothing new in the EPL and is typically rewarded. Just now Zaha was rewarded for overrunning a ball and there being a slight touch.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't like how easily Zaha goes down, but they tend to give that more than they don't. After how hard Lacazette tried to buy one, I don't feel bad in the context of this one though.

To be clear it's not the same as the Saka one though.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't like how easily Zaha goes down, but they tend to give that more than they don't. After how hard Lacazette tried to buy one, I don't feel bad in the context of this one though.

To be clear it's not the same as the Saka one though.
I agree, the Saka one contained a lot more contact

• Haha
Reactions: luiginb

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
these wide overloads are not getting us close enough to goal at all

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Nor is it the same as the defender giving a nice two hand shove, and yet both are theoretically fouls

If you think the first goal was a "nice two hand shove" you need to go back and watch it again.

He was already ducking out of the way of the ball before the defender even touched him and then the touch was pretty light.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Probably the worst game of the year for Arsenal. Now I need to watch Arsenal and Brighton in a game where they both need points lol....

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If you think the first goal was a "nice two hand shove" you need to go back and watch it again.

He was already ducking out of the way of the ball before the defender even touched him and then the touch was pretty light.
Clearly neither the lightness of the touch nor what the player is doing prior to being touched actually matters, judging by the penalty given.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Probably the worst game of the year for Arsenal. Now I need to watch Arsenal and Brighton in a game where they both need points lol....
If it makes you feel any better I'm sure I speak for the other Spurs fans here when I say we'll be rooting for your Brighton team.

• Haha
Reactions: robertmac43

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Zaha got the back of his leg kicked. It's a stonewall penalty. Complaining about it is embarrassing.
Kicked is a generous description.

And again, as long as you're saying that any contact with the leg is a stonewall penalty, we can go back and look at the other penalties not given and see if there's contact with a leg. Because I know there was with Saka, and that's ignoring the push with the arms as well.

To be perfectly clear, I think Zaha went down way too easily and had lost control of the ball, but I don't mind that penalty being given. Was it soft? Yes. But fine. I am complaining about the consistency in refereeing, not that specific call.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
You think Arsenal need free handouts to get top four? Of course Brighton should fight for points.

They're certainly going to be fighting for points, but they're safe from relegation and they're not gonna make a European spot. Clearly they still want to finish as high as possible but they don't "need" points in that sense.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Kicked is a generous description.

And again, as long as you're saying that any contact with the leg is a stonewall penalty, we can go back and look at the other penalties not given and see if there's contact with a leg. Because I know there was with Saka, and that's ignoring the push with the arms as well.

To be perfectly clear, I think Zaha went down way too easily and had lost control of the ball, but I don't mind that penalty being given. Was it soft? Yes. But fine. I am complaining about the consistency in refereeing, not that specific call.

Zaha didn't remotely lose control of the ball, he was trying to pull it back and turn the defender. He stopped the ball and planted his left foot for the turn when the Arsenal player hit (since you dislike "kicked") the back of it and knocked it out from under him.

It's not remotely comparable to Saka who was giving upper body contact as much as he was getting it and then stuck his leg completely out in an unnatural position and actually kicked the back of the defenders opposite leg.

Reactions: luiginb

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Why do Brighton need points? They don't really
They have 1 point in their last 7 games and are struggling to score. Obviously, I would rather Arsenal take all 3 given the circumstances but the massive drought from Brighton is concerning.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Really kicking myself for not betting the Palace over at halftime. Whatever moron puts the odds in at my book had them as an underdog to score again.

Forget the top 4. Arsenal could easily finish 7th.

If Tierney doesn't play again this season they definitely aren't finishing 4th. Someone should be sacked if they miss top four over Tavares. We had this discussion numerous times last summer, about making sure finite resources aren't wasted. I wouldn't even want to put this guy on the pitch. Also with three subs they've wasted two subs in two matches taking him off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad