GWT: PL Matchweek 29

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Good win by United. I guess they are serious about a chase for Top 4.

I expect that Fred yellow will be overturned. I think a penalty would have been harsh especially since the free kick before the first goal was a weak call.

Scotland must be feeling alright with McTominay & Gilmour in the middle....

3pts out. Spurs, Sheffield, B&H, Bournemouth, Villa, Southampton, Palace, West Ham & Leicester City left.

If LC continue to struggle that last game of season might be massive.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ole is the 2nd best coach in the big 6, can't change my mind :P
Ole is probably the 2nd best coach at playing the big 6. Maybe not in the big 6 though. Team was great today. I think that all United players had their moments. Couple great saves by DDG, back line was solid with AWB and Lindelof standing out for me, Fred was really good at linking play, Bruno and Martial were obviously great. James is so raw and needs so much work. He really good with the ball at his feet, he just can’t make the right decision with it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If Pogba stays and falls in line this United team could be very good next year with the addition of Bruno and some of the young players emerging. Not sure Ole is the guy to guide that team but there's potential there, unfortunately.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Real reflections on that Chelsea-Everton match:
  • Mount is back in impeccable form - this is a few games in a row he's played extremely well in, clearly that downspell earlier in the winter was just the ups and downs of a young player finding his groove. MOTM for me. The team is completely different when he's on the field and off of it, he's really the only midfielder making those penetrative runs.
  • Gilmour is extremely confident and composed, calm as all hell. Would love if we rotated him in more with Jorg for the rest of the season. Also adapted nicely to being pushed further up the field when RJ came on, even if I think he does look better in that deeper architect position.
  • Best game Barkley's had in a Chelsea kit, I reckon.
  • Zouma scares me a lot, and I think Christensen should (and probably will when at 100% fitness) start ahead of him. He's lucky that Rudiger is very good.
  • Pedro was absolutely electric. He hasn't had many games like this one this season.
  • Giroud was excellent excellent excellent.
  • Nice to see Anjorin and Broja get debuts.
  • Would've liked to see us make it 5 or 6.
  • So obviously Ancelotti is an infinitely better coach than Duncan Ferguson. But the difference between this match and the one a few months back was stark for Everton. Whereas at Goodison Everton were flying into every tackle and playing extremely aggressive, they were super timid today.
  • Richarlison was far too relaxed defensively, should've been back deeper harrassing Gilmour. Huge part of Everton's win in the fall came from Richarlison giving Jorginho shit.
  • Pickford needed a good game today and he got it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm disappointed with Rodri this season. I just expected much more from him with City. Offers zero penetration. It's like season 1 Chelsea Jorginho.

It seems Atletico bamboozled them and held onto Partey, who seems to be much better.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm disappointed with Rodri this season. I just expected much more from him with City. Offers zero penetration. It's like season 1 Chelsea Jorginho.

It seems Atletico bamboozled them and held onto Partey, who seems to be much better.
Partey is not better than Rodri. Rodri is class and has been great its the guys behind him who are clowns. He walked into what people considered the best team and has played multiple positions for them.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Different type of player.

I think Rodri is finding his feet a bit in the PL. Wouldn´t judge him just yet. Fabinho also looked rather poor for some time - even if he was more up to speed by now in his first season (if I remember correctly).

That said I am not sure if Rodri will ever live up to his price tag. I am probably not able to see things objectively on this, but I would have rather taken Berge if I were City. Similar in style to Rodri, but unlike Rodri he can run passed defenders and generally speaking "mix it up" a bit more going forward. Still expect Rodri to do well at City longer term.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Berge does not have nearly the ability of Rodri, not even close. He is a great prospect but in no way better than Rodri.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Real reflections on that Chelsea-Everton match:
  • Mount is back in impeccable form - this is a few games in a row he's played extremely well in, clearly that downspell earlier in the winter was just the ups and downs of a young player finding his groove. MOTM for me. The team is completely different when he's on the field and off of it, he's really the only midfielder making those penetrative runs.
  • Gilmour is extremely confident and composed, calm as all hell. Would love if we rotated him in more with Jorg for the rest of the season. Also adapted nicely to being pushed further up the field when RJ came on, even if I think he does look better in that deeper architect position.
  • Best game Barkley's had in a Chelsea kit, I reckon.
  • Zouma scares me a lot, and I think Christensen should (and probably will when at 100% fitness) start ahead of him. He's lucky that Rudiger is very good.
  • Pedro was absolutely electric. He hasn't had many games like this one this season.
  • Giroud was excellent excellent excellent.
  • Nice to see Anjorin and Broja get debuts.
  • Would've liked to see us make it 5 or 6.
  • So obviously Ancelotti is an infinitely better coach than Duncan Ferguson. But the difference between this match and the one a few months back was stark for Everton. Whereas at Goodison Everton were flying into every tackle and playing extremely aggressive, they were super timid today.
  • Richarlison was far too relaxed defensively, should've been back deeper harrassing Gilmour. Huge part of Everton's win in the fall came from Richarlison giving Jorginho shit.
  • Pickford needed a good game today and he got it.
I probably would have given MOTM to Mount or Barkley, but incredibly impressive for Gilmour to win MOTM in his 2nd game in a row and first EPL start.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
If Pogba stays and falls in line this United team could be very good next year with the addition of Bruno and some of the young players emerging. Not sure Ole is the guy to guide that team but there's potential there, unfortunately.

I feel like Ole might not be the guy to lead Utd to the top of Everest, but he is at the very least the guy to make sure they reach the final base camp. He's doing the dirty work of clearing out the dead wood and rebuilding the squad so the guy that comes after him doesn't have to.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I feel like Ole might not be the guy to lead Utd to the top of Everest, but he is at the very least the guy to make sure they reach the final base camp. He's doing the dirty work of clearing out the dead wood and rebuilding the squad so the guy that comes after him doesn't have to.
His tenure is reminiscent of LVG's. He's getting rid of the deadwood, brought in a marquee player, bought some good young players, and integrated the youth quite well. Even if he isn't the guy to lead them to glory he's done a good job of setting up the next manager with a good foundation to work with. Just gotta hope Woodward doesn't f*** it up again with bad buys and managerial hires.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Nice ENG by McTom to seal the win. Ederson looking like the Brazilian Pickford today.

Loved the performance, not always pretty but bags of character. Good rebound by De Gea, AWB was great, Lindelof solid throughout. Matic and Fred putting in a lot of work. Love James' attitude and energy but needs to learn to get his head up.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Clinching it at Goodison is like shitting on a corpse. Just leave it alone.

Would much rather just do it at home.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well that’s just not true. Pogba while highly inconsistent has shown tons of stretches of world class play.

Bruno gets the ball moving forward much quicker than Pogba. His free kicks and corners actually find his team mates. Pogba has the size and individual skill advantage but Bruno has not had a bad game yet which could not be said about Pogba who could switch from "world class" to Finnish league level in one match. I hope Pogba sees Bruno play and takes it as a challenge to prove he's still got it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Bruno gets the ball moving forward much quicker than Pogba. His free kicks and corners actually find his team mates. Pogba has the size and individual skill advantage but Bruno has not had a bad game yet which could not be said about Pogba who could switch from "world class" to Finnish league level in one match. I hope Pogba sees Bruno play and takes it as a challenge to prove he's still got it.
Well it's also a much bigger sample size so of course Pogba will have more bad games than Bruno. Bruno has a little ways to meet Pogbas peaks because few can meet them. Again I'm not going to say he's been consistently good, but to say he's never been as good here as Bruno is just a false statement.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well it's also a much bigger sample size so of course Pogba will have more bad games than Bruno. Bruno has a little ways to meet Pogbas peaks because few can meet them. Again I'm not going to say he's been consistently good, but to say he's never been as good here as Bruno is just a false statement.

Pogba has never moved the ball forward as quickly as Bruno does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad