GWT: PL Matchweek 24

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
No one is saying it’s unimpressive, because it’s a very impressive feat. But when you have time chance to win a treble in historic fashion, people will rightfully choose that over one trophy.

That surprising, but fair enough. It seems to be that way

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Because it doesn't matter very much to anyone else. But I will say part of the reason it doesn't matter that much is because Arsenal are so bad now, there's very little enjoyment to be had from taking away that achievement. It's like kicking someone when they're knocked out. Maybe if they were the team nearest to us, I would feel differently, but there's a 35 point gap in the table at the moment.

Thats a very valid point, but we had been your rivals for years just a few years ago. Maybe you have not been a Liverpool fan for long so you dont feel that rivarly with us?

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
We don’t care about City either, they are an irrelevant small club. United and Liverpool very much do care, that just is not true. It seems there is nothing the fans of them enjoy more than bantering us after a loss.

It's definitely one of the most enjoyable things. If you've seen some of the stuff I've read here over the years you'd see why.

Seen:

Emery compared to Klopp and in fact called better.
One goof saying a team with James Milner could never win anything.
We will get pumped this season (biggest LOL of all time right here)
Robertson's signing being very negatively crapped on compared to Kolasinac.

and my absolute favorite:

Salah is no better than Danny Welbeck.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That surprising, but fair enough. It seems to be that way

As was posted above winning trophies is addictive. And I think that most people would rather win multiple trophies than one while going invincible.

Now the crazy thing is that I think there’s a possible chance that Liverpool wins a treble while going invincible.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Thats a very valid point, but we were had been your rivals for years just a few years ago. Maybe you have not been a Liverpool fan for long so you dont feel that rivarly with us?

Nope, its been a long time. Went all those years without winning anything. Trust me I feel the rivalry and all. We just have a better opportunity to win more trophies and potentially to rest players in order to win them, and to win them is what matters.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Nope, its been a long time. Went all those years without winning anything. Trust me I feel the rivalry and all. We just have a better opportunity to win more trophies and potentially to rest players in order to win them, and to win them is what matters.

Well fair enough then, if there is any fanbase besides ours that deserve your sucess it is you guys. After years of suffering with Moreno, Babel, Klavan, Benayoun and those guys, you deserve sucess. Hopefully justice will be served and we get the same thing happen to us after suffering through this team. Arsenal, Liverpool and United are the only non plastic ” big 6” clubs with loyal fans, that deserve sucess the most.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Another thing, before I forget, did anyone see the rest of the team (except Alisson) when Salah scored? They couldn't even run down the field to celebrate. They definitely have to rest some players pretty soon before fatigue injuries start to kick in as those players looked shattered. It would be irresponsible to chase being unbeaten at that cost.

This would be a good game to do that, so maybe they will lose.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Didn't mean to open this can of worms.

Going invincible is really cool and it's fun to brag about Arsenal having done it. That team was very very good, but probably not one of the best teams ever. Part of that is due to differences between then and now (even though then wasn't that long ago). Liverpool should push for being invincible but not at the cost of a trophy, perhaps excepting the FA Cup.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Another thing, before I forget, did anyone see the rest of the team (except Alisson) when Salah scored? They couldn't even run down the field to celebrate. They definitely have to rest some players pretty soon before fatigue injuries start to kick in as those players looked shattered. It would be irresponsible to chase being unbeaten at that cost.

This would be a good game to do that, so maybe they will lose.
With Shrewsbury coming up the rest, probably happens there, but I don’t hate the idea. After taking 6 from Tottenham and United, anything from this game is kind of a bonus.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Didn't mean to open this can of worms.

Going invincible is really cool and it's fun to brag about Arsenal having done it. That team was very very good, but probably not one of the best teams ever. Part of that is due to differences between then and now (even though then wasn't that long ago). Liverpool should push for being invincible but not at the cost of a trophy, perhaps excepting the FA Cup.
I’d honestly Rather have FA Cup then being undefeated.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I would like to make the SFs of both cup competitions. I didn't care about the FA Cup when this league was within reach for another team, but now it isn't, so it doesn't hurt the team to prioritize it. That's the main goal besides winning this league.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would like to make the SFs of both cup competitions. I didn't care about the FA Cup when this league was within reach for another team, but now it isn't. That's the main goal besides winning this league.

Never easy going to a fourth round match against Shrewsbury though...

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I’d honestly Rather have FA Cup then being undefeated.
Yeah, I can see that argument. Going for a triple would be fun. I think if you get knocked out of CL early somehow, then I'd rather go for the undefeated season rather than a domestic double, although being out of the CL makes all three possible

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Would love to get some redemption against Chelsea. That was some of the best football Arsenal had played in a while up until the Leno mistake.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, I can see that argument. Going for a triple would be fun. I think if you get knocked out of CL early somehow, then I'd rather go for the undefeated season rather than a domestic double, although being out of the CL makes all three possible
Going for the Quad mate. Going out of CL early only means more chance at FA Cup in my opinion. LFC isn’t going to go against their sports scientists to chase an undefeated season.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Only United has won the League/ Champions League Double in the past 35 years in England. Liverpool hasn't dont it since 1984. Rather break the points record than not lose a game. Though I would like them to break the 49 game unbeaten streak, but doing so they have get a result at the Ethiad.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looking at all the fixtures this week there are a lot of big lower-table games. Brighton v Bounremouth for one is going to be stressful and has major implications. Villa v Watford is also going to be a big one, 16th v 17th, winner avoids being in the drop zone.

Higher up the table New Castle v Everton and Southampton v Palace are important games as all 4 clubs have been inconsistent and could use the opportunity to get some separation from the relegation battle below them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Amazing that there are people who don't rate this guy just because it isn't his job to score or provide the final ball. For the Netherlands he scores a lot though. This guy is a f***ing tank.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It wasn’t that long ago that most of the Liverpool fans on this site and in general didn’t rate him either. Same with Henderson. Still taking some time for others to catch up.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I'm just gonna chime in with the fact that not only are the Invincibles not the best team in Premier League history, but they also weren't as good as the Chelsea team which won the title the season after them (2004-05).

Reactions: YNWA14

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
As for a rival or wanting to be unbeaten, I want this club to win everything. They really can. With all the players coming back to fitness, they have the depth to do it all. That said, the priority is still winning the league and CL first. I do think at some point Klopp will let off the gas a touch to try and win the CL and FA as well, but I think there is a lot to say about trying to obliterate everything and everyone. Put down a marker to be the best ever.

Liverpool have a number of clubs they want to put things right with, and putting themselves on top of everyone with a runaway season is a big deal. They will lose a match, but I’m all for continuing to try and win everything. Heck, they’ve shown kids and subs can beat decent clubs with a lot of motivation. Liverpool find a way.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It wasn’t that long ago that most of the Liverpool fans on this site and in general didn’t rate him either. Same with Henderson. Still taking some time for others to catch up.
It isn’t a matter of rating or not rating the midfielders. Klopp knows what he has, but his abilities have sometimes been sacrificed for what the club needs. That’s a big deal, but it sometimes means he might not get plaudits he should.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm just gonna chime in with the fact that not only are the Invincibles not the best team in Premier League history, but they also weren't as good as the Chelsea team which won the title the season after them (2004-05).
I agree.

Liverpool have a real shot at that title (if their level holds, and looking over since last season) but for me it’s between that Chelsea team and the 100 point City.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad