GWT: PL Matchweek 24

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Going invincible should be prioritized ahead of winning the League and CL double anyway, it is a much bigger achievement.
I could see LFC tie that game. Anyway we are assuming LFC would have not loss any game prior and they would have locked up most likely the EPL already.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Oh yeah? More impressive than being the first ever team to go 49 games unbeaten in an era were so many teams were competitive, unlike today. You can’t convince anyone you actually think that, however large your agenda against Arsenal.

Manchester United fans defending Liverpool definitely shows we're biased, yep that checks out.

Also not sure where the extra 11 games came from.

They're definitely not the best PL team every considering that was the only trophy they won and they didn't even make any other finals.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
An 'invincible season' includes draws, so it could contain less total points on the season than a season with some losses and more wins.

Would you trade Arsenal's invincible season for the PL title and CL title that same season?

No, I would not trade the invincible title for that. There is no trophy I would ever trade that season for. It means too much to me, I would take missing the CL another 5 years or so if it meant no other team going invincible.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Manchester United fans defending Liverpool definitely shows we're biased, yep that checks out.

Also not sure where the extra 11 games came from.

They're definitely not the best PL team every considering that was the only trophy they won and they didn't even make any other finals.

The extra 11 games come from the seasons surrounding it. It is fashionable to hate on Arsenal, you in particular seem to be willing to do anything to avoid defending us.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Going invincible should be prioritized ahead of winning the League and CL double anyway, it is a much bigger achievement.
I don’t agree with this at all. I couldn’t be bothered with going undefeated.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Would you trade Arsenal's invincible season for the PL title and CL title that same season?

He (basically) considers it the greatest accomplishment in the history of the sport so I doubt he would. I'd expect basically everyone else in football to do it though except maybe in a super rare case like RM a couple years ago where they had already won 3 straight.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I do not think bragging about 7 CLs and a League would mean more to the fans than talking about their unique, almost unprecentented acheivment.
They are already unbeaten in a calendar year... They could lose a game and still finish above city best season ever at 100pts. Winning the CL and the EPL would be the bigger statement by far.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The extra 11 games come from the seasons surrounding it. It is fashionable to hate on Arsenal, you in particular seem to be willing to do anything to avoid defending us.

In that case, Liverpool already have an unbeaten 39 game stretch.

Last 17 last year + first 22 this year and they have far fewer draws during that stretch than Arsenal did.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Does someone want to tell him that Arsenal isn't the first and only team to go unbeaten?

Same for the 49 game run.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
He (basically) considers it the greatest accomplishment in the history of the sport so I doubt he would. I'd expect basically everyone else in football to do it though except maybe in a super rare case like RM a couple years ago where they had already won 3 straight.

No gooner would. A poll was out up on twitter asking just that and like 95% or something of the gooners answered just like me, I do not remember the exact number. I am fully aware it is illogical to not trade that, anyone would surely prefer two major trophies over one? You just do not understand how important the invincibles are to the identity of being a gooner.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No, I would not trade the invincible title for that. There is no trophy I would ever trade that season for. It means too much to me, I would take missing the CL another 5 years or so if it meant no other team going invincible.

Well, at least you're likely to get that.

The teams are just as competitive now as they were when Arsenal went unbeaten, so I'm confused as to why you'd bring that up. The standard of football in general was also much worse as teams were massively prioritizing physical strength over technique, which wasn't good for the entertainment value of the game at all.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
No gooner would. A poll was out up on twitter asking just that and like 95% or something of the gooners answered just like me, I do not remember the exact number. I am fully aware it is illogical to not trade that, anyone would surely prefer two major trophies over one? You just do not understand how important the invincibles are to the identity of being a gooner.

That's kinda my point. It's important to *your* identity because that's what you have, but other teams and fan bases don't care.

Invincibles would be cool to do, and all else being equal I'd want it over not having it, but I wouldn't trade a single continental success in United's history for an unbeaten season that year.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Well, at least you're likely to get that.

The teams are just as competitive now as they were when Arsenal went unbeaten, so I'm confused as to why you'd bring that up. The standard of football in general was also much worse as teams were massively prioritizing physical strength over technique, which wasn't good for the entertainment value of the game at all.

Yes, the standard of football was lower for everyone, most Premier League teams today would probably be top teams back then. The competition was closer though, Liverpool, United and Chelsea were all incredibly good, having some of their best ever teams on paper. Many games were a massive challenge for any team besides Arsenal, and the gap between the top and the bottom was very small compared to today, a lot due to recent TV money increasing the difference. Back then, teams could get relegated on close to 40 points.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
That's kinda my point. It's important to *your* identity because that's what you have, but other teams and fan bases don't care.

Invincibles would be cool to do, and all else being equal I'd want it over not having it, but I wouldn't trade a single continental success in United's history for an unbeaten season that year.

Fair enough, but Liverpool, one of our worst ever rivals, probably hate us enough to want to take that from us, which is my point. I also think it is such a cool acheivment because we are almost the only team that can say we have done it. I am obviously clouded by my allegiance to Arsenal when trying to judge which achievment I prefer, and honestly shocked people dont agree.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Juve a few years ago. Celtic had an unbeaten triple. Porto was unbeaten, a ton of random Eastern European teams have done it in the last 15 years.

There was a Romanian club that did it 3 years straight.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Yep, basically. I think almost every Liverpool fan would say they'd trade that in an instant for another trophy. I think Henderson said it best a few months ago. Eventually the players become addicted to winning trophies, and the fans do as well. It's having the chance to chase that over and over again that makes this all special.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I struggle to understand how people do not want to do everything in their power to take away an acheivment we are basically unique in. For me, our rivals not having sucess is always almost as enjoyable as Arsenal being successful.
Juve a few years ago. Celtic had an unbeaten triple. Porto was unbeaten, a ton of random Eastern European teams have done it in the last 15 years.

There was a Romanian club that did it 3 years straight.

Different Leagues, irrelevant.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I struggle to understand how people do not want to do everything in their power to take away an acheivment we are basically unique in. For me, our rivals losing is always almost as enjoyable as Arsenal winning.

For one, Arsenal isn’t as important as they think they are.

No one, at least not city, Liverpool or United, care enough about you to care about that.

Reactions: Gecklund

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I struggle to understand how people do not want to do everything in their power to take away an acheivment we are basically unique in. For me, our rivals not having sucess is always almost as enjoyable as Arsenal being successful.

Because it doesn't matter very much to anyone else. But I will say part of the reason it doesn't matter that much is because Arsenal are so bad now, there's very little enjoyment to be had from taking away that achievement. It's like kicking someone when they're knocked out. Maybe if they were the team nearest to us, I would feel differently, but there's a 35 point gap in the table at the moment.

Reactions: AB13

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

No one is saying it’s unimpressive, because it’s a very impressive feat. But when you have time chance to win a treble in historic fashion, people will rightfully choose that over one trophy.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
For one, Arsenal isn’t as important as they think they are.

No one, at least not city, Liverpool or United, care enough about you to care about that.

We don’t care about City either, they are an irrelevant small club. United and Liverpool very much do care, that just is not true. It seems there is nothing the fans of them enjoy more than bantering us after a loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad