PL Matchweek 10

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Agreed, I actually don't really get it when the attacking player quite clearly tries to run into the defending player and "trip" over them...
Yup. And in soccer you pretty much just gave them a goal. It’s not like a penalty in hockey or hell even a penalty shot in hockey.

A tacky call on the corner of the box gives the other team a goal.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So Rashford starting up top today. Looks like a fairly standard 4-3-3

Young - Lindelof - Smalling - Shaw
Fred - Matic - Pogba
Mata - Rashford - Martial

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Not a penalty to me since the defender got the ball.

Good attack by Martial though.

Pogba converts on the rebound it to put United up. Really solid hand at first by Pickford though.

Reactions: Gecklund

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I'd ban Martial for that, honestly. Some contact, takes a beat, and throws himself to the ground. Obvious con job.

Those bans are so inconsistently applied, though.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
And Rashford definitely knew he was offside there :laugh:

As soon as the ball came to him he almost deflated like "awww crap, I would been able to get a goal if I got back better"

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
And Rashford definitely knew he was offside there :laugh:

As soon as the ball came to him he almost deflated like "awww crap, I would been able to get a goal if I got back better"
Fred could have gotten there too and he was onside but United have looked great down the left.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Nah, there was contact. They won't ban someone when there's contact.
I get it, but if the purpose is punitive action when a player deliberately cons the referee to win a penalty, something like that should really qualify.

It's effectively the same thing. If Martial stays on his feet, as he would have without throwing himself to the floor, no way that gets called.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I get it, but if the purpose is punitive action when a player deliberately cons the referee to win a penalty, something like that should really qualify.

It's effectively the same thing. If Martial stays on his feet, as he would have without throwing himself to the floor, no way that gets called.
It’s called VAR to stop that not banning a player.

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Nah, there was contact. They won't ban someone when there's contact.

Yeah, that was the Ashley Young special. Run towards the outstretched leg and fall over. On the other hand, why would you give the attacker the chance by doing that if there's chance the ref doesn't have the best view of it?

Pogba and United seemed to have relaxed after that goal and are on the driver's seat now.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

If the defender didn't get the ball, it's a pretty uncontroversial foul/penalty. A little soft yes, but still a foul.

The reason it shouldn't have been a penalty is because the defender won the ball, not because the attacker went down easy.

Reactions: Gecklund

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
If the defender didn't get the ball, it's a pretty uncontroversial foul/penalty. A little soft yes, but still a foul.

The reason it shouldn't have been a penalty is because the defender won the ball, not because the attacker went down easy.
I didn't even think he got the ball. There was definitely contact, but it's pretty obvious the contact didn't merit the reaction.

Listen, it's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but those exaggerated delayed reactions always piss me off. It's so obvious.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He seems pretty gassed. DM is an area we definitely need help.

Matic would be a good mentor and a guy to play rotationally, but he's just not up for week in and week out play, especially with cups and continental competition.
It’s too bad Fabinho went to Liverpool. I think he would have been fantastic on this team. Maybe we can pry Neves or SMS in the winter window

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I didn't even think he got the ball. There was definitely contact, but it's pretty obvious the contact didn't merit the reaction.

Listen, it's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but those exaggerated delayed reactions always piss me off. It's so obvious.

For us watching tv feeds. Until they install VAR in the EPL, the refs have to make the decision on how they see it from where they are on the pitch. More often than not, their view/angle isn't as good as ours.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Great. And it’s the PL’s fault that the right one isn’t in place. So why are you saying ban Martial when this is something that happens ALL THE DAMN TIME?

Yea, if the standard for a ban is "went down too easily after a little bit of contact" you'd be manning players on almost a weekly basis.
"Too easily" is sanitzing the action to point of ridiculousness. He literally threw himself to the deck. It's not like he was already on the way down and made it look good.

Yeah, it happens "all the time". And if the objective is to curtail players' instinct to do it, they should enforce the current rules they have in place.

I don't know what this VAR stuff is. Yeah, they should have VAR, but they don't. Bizarre angle to argue as it relates to this incident.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
For us watching tv feeds. Until they install VAR in the EPL, the refs have to make the decision on how they see it from where they are on the pitch. More often than not, their view/angle isn't as good as ours.
Which is why, in this case, there is an avenue for retroactive action after the match...

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Gueye really lucky to still be on. Although maybe fair given the pen wasn't deserved. But he picked up a deserved yellow, and then after that has given away a pen and committed two other fouls. The last one on Pogba wouldn't have been shocked to see a card on either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad