PL Matchweek 10

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Which is why, in this case, there is an avenue for retroactive action after the match...

If you want to argue that the PL should change the standard and start banning players for actions like that, sure, go for it. Just know you'll be regularly banning players for.

Also know that's a definitely a change in the rules and not something to throw in the middle of a season.

Embellishment isn't against the rules, diving is. They're different things. If you want to punish them the same, I'd probably support it, but there's basically zero appetite for that among the larger leadership of the sport.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Also, De Gea has made 4 saves and I think he's had to take about 2 steps total to make them. Everton have had some chances, but have been shooting them straight at the keeper.

Reactions: Gecklund

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I just saw the second Palace penalty and it's basically the same move as the Martial play except the defender doesn't get the ball.

If you think Martial should be banned, you should be calling for Zaha getting banned too. Both felt the contact and threw themselves to the ground, it would hardly make sense to ban Martial because the defender happened to get the ball.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
If you want to argue that the PL should change the standard and start banning players for actions like that, sure, go for it. Just know you'll be regularly banning players for.

Also know that's a definitely a change in the rules and not something to throw in the middle of a season.

Embellishment isn't against the rules, diving is. They're different things. If you want to punish them the same, I'd probably support it, but there's basically zero appetite for that among the larger leadership of the sport.
To me, the delayed nature of the "embellishment" effectively makes it a dive, which ultimately conned the referee into giving a penalty.

We can quibble with words all day, but yes, I'd apply the rule to include an incident like that. Again, if the objective of the rule is mold player instinct in those situations, there's no reason not to treat that exactly the same.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Clear handball on Lacazette not called and leads directly to the 2nd goal.
Agreed, it was a handball, but the play should've resulted in a penalty for the Arsenal since Laca was getting his kit held onto when he was going for the ball.

Man, Özil really doesn't like being subbed off, does he
That was a good call regardless of what All Might said above. Arsenal were bending, but not breaking under Crystal Palace's desperation and Ozil isn't a player who would win in trench warfare. Welbeck has much better work ethic, better determination, and better track backing ability; that was a good call by Emery.

What screwed Arsenal today was the bench's depth. Xhaka at LB is awful enough, but nobody could've played in that situation. Nobody besides El Neny to close down the game? Shambolic.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Tough go for Arsenal today. I'll take 10 points out of the last 4 though going into the Liverpool battle next weekend!

Reactions: S E P H

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That’s what happens when he has literally no options. I don’t fault him for either of those.

He had options on both. On the first there were options earlier but nooo.... He waited until there were no options. On the second, he could played a lifted throughball for Lukaku, who was making a run, instead of putting the ball out of the sideline.

And off topic but why is GWT #8 stickied and not this???

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
He had options on both. On the first there were options earlier but nooo.... He waited until there were no options. On the second, he could played a lifted throughball for Lukaku, who was making a run, instead of putting the ball out of the sideline.

And off topic but why is GWT #8 stickied and not this???

Re off topic- Probably bc all the mods got fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad