Player Discussion PK Subban - Thrown Under The Bus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
No debate about if Subban is a good player or not.

PK Subban is a terrific hockey player.

But I want him to get back at the way he was playing during his Norris year, when he was playing a more simple game. It doesn't held him back for being a top point producer that year.

The little things, it's all in the details.

- pass the puck a bit faster to teammate more often
- make shifts a bit shorter more often, too many time he is out of juice out there
- stop trying to do too much, just play a more simple game.
- be a little more humble, just a little more.

He's a super athlete and as surprising it could be to hear, PK Subban is still some kind of far from his ceiling and didn't reach his full potential yet. He can be so much more and the sky is the limit with this guy if he understands he just need to mature his play and his approach on the game a little more. It's in the little details.

I love PK and I hope he'll take the next step next year.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
exactly right...

and given the combination of performance/statistical evidence AND the well documented reality that PK was a model teammate whose attitude and contribution to the broader Team Canada chemistry in Sochi (despite dealing with the frustration of being passed over for clearly weaker teammates) was appreciated by teammates and coaching staff alike, as in everyone one of his stints with Team Canada, should have easily cemented his spot on the team as one of the top-2 Dmen, let alone top 4.

unless some other factor is at play, and contributing to the decision... hmmm, i wonder what possibly that could be...
Of course..racism right! I love it, it's the answer for everything. You people are the best!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's simple, he has nothing going for him.

He plays for the most hated franchise, he plays really hard, he talks a lot, he enjoys having fun and playing hockey, he's a minority, he's good, he plays a flamboyant game, he makes so many good plays that when he makes a mistake, it's magnified X100 because people just want him to fail, oh and he has success.

This opinion transcends to even the Habs fans, now they start to magnify all he does and they start hating on him because of the media.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Explain to me the following:

Therrien pledging to "make PK a better person"
Subban getting booed in almost EVERY arena in the NHL
RDS suggesting we trade our best player
Suggestions that he's a "cancer" in the locker room

Despite the fact that Subban has done more for his community than any player in the NHL, has never had an off-ice issue or even an on-ice issue of note.

I'm waiting.

Roy was booed
Brisebois was ran out of town
Ribeiro was everything you just described

does race have to do something about Subban in the medias? maybe, but it's not a "100% proof (e5)" situation. Medias just love to **** on popular players because it sells. Drama sells.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not a MTL fan or rival, but the MN board in general finds him to be talented, funny, and classy.

Any losing team, let alone a MTL team that is unexpectedly losing, gets cranky. Pacioretty is also being criticized and is the subject of trade talks, which NEVER would've happened last year.

I think the knee jerk rascist conclusions are just that. Subban and Pacioretty are getting flak because of your record, simple as that.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
It definitely was a mistake last night and not just blowing a tire like the play vs Colorado. Subban deked himself out and lost balance when he realized that Clifford was right in his face.

The thing is, on team Canada, Subban doesn't deke himself out in that situation simply because he would have had proper support to make a simple pass rather than having to delay (at least I would assume). And on Team Canada, Price and Holtby don't allow those 2 early **** goals

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It definitely was a mistake last night and not just blowing a tire like the play vs Colorado. Subban deked himself out and lost balance when he realized that Clifford was right in his face.

The thing is, on team Canada, Subban doesn't deke himself out in that situation simply because he would have had proper support to make a simple pass rather than having to delay

shhh... no room here for actual hockey analysis. Doesn't fit the narrative script.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Roy was booed
Brisebois was ran out of town
Ribeiro was everything you just described

does race have to do something about Subban in the medias? maybe, but it's not a "100% proof (e5)" situation. Medias just love to **** on popular players because it sells. Drama sells.

Great example, thanks for that. Roy was run out of town basically. He couldn't stand it in Montreal.

But he was white, and french? The hell?

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Eller is bashed by English and French media, tons of fans, and has been thrown under the bus more than even Subban.

Why is he so reviled?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Great example, thanks for that. Roy was run out of town basically. He couldn't stand it in Montreal.

But he was white, and french? The hell?

are you suggesting that you don't realize/acknowledge that franchophone players in this market are regularly held under a stricter microscope than non-franco's?

you've never seen that bias, which expresses itself both ways (exaggerated positive or negative perception)

it must be nice living in an EAsports world, where things like human bias just don't exist...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not a MTL fan or rival, but the MN board in general finds him to be talented, funny, and classy.

Any losing team, let alone a MTL team that is unexpectedly losing, gets cranky. Pacioretty is also being criticized and is the subject of trade talks, which NEVER would've happened last year.

I think the knee jerk rascist conclusions are just that. Subban and Pacioretty are getting flak because of your record, simple as that.

It's especially funny when you notice WHO is reaching those 'knee jerk racist conclusions'. The very people who deny that race (which is NOT racism) could possibly play a factor in the perception of Subban.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
if anything, the lack of criticism towards Max, considering the fan base/market and the high level of expectations for players to compete like winners, is more irrational than the slowly growing recognition that he's just not that great of a competitor.

Had PK behaved and performed to Max's standards the past few years, he'd be more unanimously reviled than Brisebois was in his "prime".

Brisebois is actually a pretty good comparison to Max... great point producer who plays smaller than his ability level whenever pressure ratcheted up.

Brisebois was also greatly critized because he signed a huge contract, he was making 4.x million 20 years ago, and couldn't play to those expectations.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Eller is bashed by English and French media, tons of fans, and has been thrown under the bus more than even Subban.

Why is he so reviled?

Lars Eller

PK Subban

in what universe does it make sense to someone that those two players should/would be subject to anywhere near the same level of critique/criticism as far as their level of play/performance/contribution to the team is considered?

and i'm a fan of Eller's...

E82

Feb 3, 2015

Why is he so reviled?

lol you are so lost. Has Eller ever been bashed for his character?
Answer that honestly. Also frankly I believe if Eller faced the amount of backlash PK has faced since entering the league he would have retired from hockey. It takes a strong human to deal with a lot of what's being thrown his way. Eller gets bashed on his play. PK gets bashed on both.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Brisebois was also greatly critized because he signed a huge contract, he was making 4.x million 20 years ago, and couldn't play to those expectations.

So, the question then is simple...

Do you think PK's performance this year is on par with being the highest paid player on the team?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Why is he so reviled?

Eller is based by media and fans for his play on the ice...his character isn't constanly brough into question.

His maturity isn't constantly brought into question.

Completely different scales of criticism between him and Subban...again, if you can't acknowledge that there's a double standard when it comes to Subban, no matter why that reason is, then your head is in the sand.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Guys Burns and Thornton are having incredible seasons I really don't understand why they haven't been named to the initial roster. I mean it doesn't make sense....unless of course some other factors are at play :naughty:. Is there such a thing as racism against giant hipster caveman beards or maybe discrimination is better word for it lolol.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Ribeiro was bashed for his character, as I said.

until I get a leak audio file of Therrien using the n-word, i'll pass. "Assumed racism" is the worst, and almost feels like projecting.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Ribeiro was bashed for his character, as I said.

until I get a leak audio file of Therrien using the n-word, i'll pass. "Assumed racism" is the worst, and almost feels like projecting.

If you know anything about Ribeiro's career, especially in juniors and in MTL...then you know there are valid reasons as to why people would bash his character.

There are none such reasons with Subban.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Lars Eller

PK Subban

in what universe does it make sense to someone that those two players should/would be subject to anywhere near the same level of critique/criticism as far as their level of play/performance/contribution to the team is considered?

and i'm a fan of Eller's...

I never said they subject to the same levels of criticism. PK should be held to higher standards, if anything.

I'm just pointing out that Eller has gotten it far worse, for less, from all sides.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Where did I say anything about PK's contract? Its a can of worms that I really don't want to get into.

you brought up Brisebois' contract in the context of explaining some of his criticism... "not living up to expectations".

I'm curious if you think PK is also showing himself unable to play to the expectations of the contract he signed... and if not, the next obvious question is what exactly you would expect him to do to be living up to the contract he signed.

from where i sit... he's all but exceeded expectations both on/off the ice. Far more so than the last major UFA dman star to sign a big extension (Weber).

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
lol you are so lost. Has Eller ever been bashed for his character?
Answer that honestly. Also frankly I believe if Eller faced the amount of backlash PK has faced since entering the league he would have retired from hockey. It takes a strong human to deal with a lot of what's being thrown his way. Eller gets bashed on his play. PK gets bashed on both.

Please keep your personal attacks to yourself.

You apparently can't see your personal bias, as shown by your statement about how Eller would have retired from hockey, as he is not as mentally strong as PK. Why is he less mentally strong? Because he is not black?

Also, Eller was bashed for comments he made that were taken out of context (Oilers style of play and the time he said he didn't realize the other team had changed goalies). That has nothing to do with his play at all.

You should look inward until you can accept your own biases and then rethink your statements concerning Eller.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I never said they subject to the same levels of criticism. PK should be held to higher standards, if anything.

I'm just pointing out that Eller has gotten it far worse, for less, from all sides.

I don't know that Eller has gotten it "far worse"... if anything, the biggest fan reaction towards him is that they have very limited expectations of him, and think he's expensive for what he brings.

i don't see people rushing to blame losses on him, or media pundits going on tirades about how he's a problem in the room, problem for the coach, distraction to his teammates et et

PK is held to a far higher standard... the crazy thing is that his performance just keeps living up to it, and yet many still seek to find any possible angle to "take him down a notch".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad