PK Subban Signed - Round 3! Fight!

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Having said all of that, of course, I'm totally expecting that based on what the guys in the future will be asking, based on the new salary cap and so, we WILL see a lot of people thinking that we probably underpaid PK....and that's fine. But that's a topic for the future, when we will see how much those guys will have and how much the salary cap will rise. Still don't believe that you can't skyrocket that cap that much based on the number of teams that won't be able to follow....but will see.

I think you'll find teams like Chicago will end up being a lot like the Washington Capitals. Look good on paper but fold like a cheap suit come playoff time. Lacking the depth and being able to afford the good secondary players will make them a 2nd tier team.

Long term, I expect the young players are the ones to be low-balled and they'll react by refusing to attend the combine, the draft and instead of playing in the CHL they will go to college and then over to Europe and wait until they are 25 or 26 to start playing in the NHL.

Why play 10 years of hard hockey (CHL, AHL, ELC, bridge) when you can go to university, play in Europe and make up for what you missed out on your first contract after a year as a RFA? If you change the game, people will play the game differently. People adapt.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm going to make this short and sweet.

• Did I agree with the bridge? No
  • Did it work out in the end? Yes
  • Were we lucky in that regard? Possibly
  • Would I like a similar bridge in the future? No
  • If either the term/salary was more accommodating? Possibly
  • Do I care at this point? Not even remotely
  • Happy Subban is a Hab? Absolutely
  • Should he be made Captain now? He already should be
  • Most frsutrated/whiner Hab 'fan'? Kovalev

I would answer these questions the same way you did !

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think you'll find teams like Chicago will end up being a lot like the Washington Capitals. Look good on paper but fold like a cheap suit come playoff time. Lacking the depth and being able to afford the good secondary players will make them a 2nd tier team.
Its a possibility. But after their first cup many said the same thing. They remain one of the top teams in the league, have a 2nd cup and were a hair away from having a third.
Can't you click on the numbers on the poll, which right now are 98 and 50? They are clickable on my computer.
Yes. This question was answered shortly afterwards... Thanks.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's unfair because we don't have the information of how exactly things would have unfolded if we hadn't went with a bridge. If there was a crystal ball we could look into and see exactly the impact of the alternative to the bridge... this poll would look different.

Also, a good number of people will always give the benefit of the doubt to the management, not saying it's wrong to do that.. but it's what it is.

I think, if we had given Subban a 5 year deal... a deal like the one we gave to Pacioretty... no one would be wondering if it was a good idea to give Subban a 5 year deal. No one would even have entertained the alternative to have offered a bridge deal instead. EDIT: Just like people aren't wondering if it was a good idea to give Pacioretty 6 years. Hell, if we had given a 5 year / 25M deal to Subban back then, people would be going on and on about how much of a shrewd negotiator MB is for inking Price, Pacioretty and Subban to long term deals under 6M. And rightfully so !

My head is still firmly on my shoulders in a non exploded state.
Pretty much. That's why I find it pretty hypocritical of the pro-bridge folks.
All of them would be ecstatic if PK was signed for another 3 years at 5M. Every single one of them. None of them would be saying PK will be leaving as an UFA.
It's all crap arguments to prop up the management.
5x5 for PK? That would be an amazing valued deal for us.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
All of them would be ecstatic if PK was signed for another 3 years at 5M. Every single one of them. None of them would be saying PK will be leaving as an UFA.
It's all crap arguments to prop up the management.
5x5 for PK? That would be an amazing valued deal for us.

you hate PK new contract that much ?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It's all crap arguments to prop up the management.5x5 for PK? That would be an amazing valued deal for us.

Nobody expects you to man up on this but after 10 threads, and 3 post deal threads, a poll, you might tone down the insults.

Bergevin is doing an excellent job he doesn't need to be "propped up" by anyone at the moment.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
you hate PK new contract that much ?

Nope.
Just agreeing with another poster who wrote you guys would be singing praises for 5x5 deal had it happened.

Nobody expects you to man up on this but after 10 threads, and 3 post deal threads, a poll, you might tone down the insults.

Bergevin is doing an excellent job he doesn't need to be "propped up" by anyone at the moment.

We had 2 cheap years of PK instead of 5. The fact you guys think this was a better decision is asinine.

Bergevin has done some good things, wouldn't say he's been excellent.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Nope.
Just agreeing with another poster who wrote you guys would be singing praises for 5x5 deal had it happened.

We had 2 cheap years of PK instead of 5. The fact you guys think this was a better decision is asinine.

so... you like that new contract then ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Nope.

and the fact you're willing to risk losing him or having to pay him much more in 3 years is what... ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
How much more would he have cost us? It's not like he took a home town discount to stay here.

that awnser is in the same realm as the "meh, he wants to stay a Habs, he would have re-signed with us in 3 years no problem".

too much can happen to determine. but if he managed a AAV of 9.0 over 8 years as a RFA, lets not kid ourselves and assume he would do the same or close to that as a UFA ;)

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
How much more would he have cost us? It's not like he took a home town discount to stay here.

We already know what the cost was for UFA years, he rightfully valued those years more than his RFA years, however, everyone argues the cost would go because we'd be competing with 29 other teams, but we wouldn't be, because he'd be extended like every other top player in the league is before he ever got there.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
We already know what the cost was for UFA years, he rightfully valued those years more than his RFA years, however, everyone argues the cost would go because we'd be competing with 29 other teams, but we wouldn't be, because he'd be extended like every other top player in the league is before he ever got there.

except... wathever the amount for his UFA years, he wasnt a UFA when he re-signed so not the same leverage...

and you know why they get extended ? they get the league max or very close to it...

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
and the fact you're willing to risk losing him or having to pay him much more in 3 years is what... ?

Notice Kriss E didn't answer this one....

If the anti-bridge brigade love Subban as much as they profess, tying him up for 8 years, 6 in his UFA prime at a digestible cap hit should be the most important part of the process and that was made possible because of the bridge.

Could it have happened without the bridge? Moot point.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

If the anti-bridge brigade love Subban as much as they profess, tying him up for 8 years, 6 in his UFA prime at a digestible cap hit should be the most important part of the process and that was made possible because of the bridge.

MB needed a lot more then Pepto Bismol to digest that contract, though, but I guess it doesn't matter what he thinks or knows, lol.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013

5 years became 3 years. We had him for cheap for 2 years and now he's locked for 8 more years, instead of 3 more years. What's not to like?

I was partial to the bridge deal and I know now that it could've been disastrous. It worked out this time but management need to be cautious.

It may have been a bad decision at the time, or not, but we should move on from a debate started two years ago.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
They don't get extended because they sign league max contracts, in fact, there aren't any. They get extended because they're the most important part of their teams.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
I'm going to make this short and sweet.

• Did it work out in the end? Yes
  • If either the term/salary was more accommodating? Possibly
  • Do I care at this point? Not even remotely
  • Should he be made Captain now? He already should be
  • Most frsutrated/whiner Hab 'fan'? Kovalev

I'm going to use your template
  • Did it work out in the end? Disaster averted but we could have had him for at least a million less per year if it weren't for the bridge.
  • If either the term/salary was more accommodating? We could have had him for less.
  • Do I care at this point? Yes. That's why I'm posting about it.
  • Should he be made Captain now? I am biased towards veterans. Markov won't take it so I'd give it to Plekanec.
  • Most frsutrated/whiner Hab 'fan'? Kovalev is being hypocritical but I'm not one to shoot the messenger. I don't agree with all of Kovalev's specifics but I agree with his sentiment. Subban is overpaid.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I have answered this repeatedly, so it's actually pretty funny that you think this was avoided.
9M is not a ''digestible'' contract, it's one of the highest cap hits in the NHL. Sure he's worth it, but it's still a huge cap hit.

There's 0 reason to believe PK would have left as an UFA.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
5 years became 3 years. We had him for cheap for 2 years and now he's locked for 8 more years, instead of 3 more years. What's not to like?

I was partial to the bridge deal and I know now that it could've been disastrous. It worked out this time but management need to be cautious.

It may have been a bad decision at the time, or not, but we should move on from a debate started two years ago.

5 years didn't become 3, it was 5 years. It's 3 years more.
What's not to like? You actually like his 9M cap hit?? I don't.

Bridge deal was stupid, all it secured was opening the vault to PK earlier. That's it.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
5 years didn't become 3, it was 5 years. It's 3 years more.
What's not to like? You actually like his 9M cap hit?? I don't.

Bridge deal was stupid, all it secured was opening the vault to PK earlier. That's it.
3 years more, that's what I meant. I don't like it but I don't hate it. Obviously, Geoff is okay with it, if he's okay with it so am I. In three more years 9M could've become 10 or 11. But we're just speculating, which is how this debate started in the first place.

There's 0 reason to believe PK would have left as an UFA.
He may not have left, but the cost of keeping him may have increased.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad