Post-Game Talk: Pizza Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the only player this game i'll give any credit to is Trochek. I thought he played well all game.

Everyone else was shit and can walk home. I know that their foot is somewhat off the gas where theyre at right now but that was horrendous. A lot of you said that the Rangers easing up at the end of the season was fine but it turned out not to be when they went down to Pitts 3-1 very quickly because they seemingly weren't prepared for the games to matter again.

Reactions: romba

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
the only player this game i'll give any credit to is Trochek. I thought he played well all game.

Everyone else was shit and can walk home. I know that their foot is somewhat off the gas where theyre at right now but that was horrendous. A lot of you said that the Rangers easing up at the end of the season was fine but it turned out not to be when they went down to Pitts 3-1 very quickly because they seemingly weren't prepared for the games to matter again.
They haven't been prepared for 1st periods all season long let alone playoff hockey

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
My take:

-Simply put, this was their worst effort in weeks. They basically let Detroit dictate their offensive play, and this was exactly how they played when they were losing in November. They passed up a lot of shots in scoring areas, took a ton of bad angle and low risk point wrist shots, and seemed otherwise willing to engage or out compete the Red Wings in their zone. Instead, they relied on fast puck movement exclusively around the perimeter, usually culminating in a low percentage play that was often blocked, and seemed content to pat themselves on the back for winning the analytics battle.
-Ben Harpur was probably our second best forward last night. Not even kidding.
-For all those chances, only Trocheck's goal and Fox's shot were truly great chances. Fox absolutely should've elevated that puck. 6" higher it's a goal. Top corner it's on highlights.
-Shooting - when this team struggles, it seems like they just cannot beat goalies clean. Every night, when you look at NHL highlights from out of town games, there are numerous examples of players taking middle percentage shots from potential scoring areas (from top of circle or below and inside the faceoff dots) and beating the goalie clean - either using the D as a screen, having traffic in front, or just flat out outclassing the goalie. When this team goes into scoring troubles, it is ALWAYS because they routinely pass up these shots...only to cycle for 20 more seconds and lob a muffin from the point, or to skate down low and either attempt a shot from the goal line, or try to make one more pass that's broken up. Again, would you consider a football offense successful if consistently they stack long drives with multiple first downs, starting at their own 20, and go through 15-17 drawn out plays only to get to the opposing 40 and punt? "But time of possession tho!" The only thing that matters is results, and how you get them.
-Last night was vintage Turnover Panarin. Especially the 3rd period. Woof. Be better. He was THE reason that line didn't look as good as it had in the past few games they'd played together.
-Good to see Laf and Fox show some frustration. Now get it out of your system and let's actually be ready for Washington.
-Puck skills and breakouts - one of the other reasons they have struggled to get shots in scoring areas. Passes from 10 feet to teammates consistently in skates. But now on breakouts, they do not headman the puck carrier with speed. They insist on walking the puck up the ice, and soccer passing through the neutral zone (read - short, slow passes to slow moving players), and always act surprised when inevitably 4 opponents are stacked up against them at the opposing blue line. Then, flat footed, they either turn it over or dump the puck in and attempt to beat a defenseman who already has a 10 foot head start, and are surprised when they can't recover the puck with any regularity. If not for Detroit's weakness and giveaways, they would have had way fewer shots. It's ridiculous watching other teams make crisp outlet passes and slice through the neutral zone in transition while the Rangers consistently dog it through the middle of the ice in a series of escalating turnover-risk plays until they actually do.
-The defensive coverage was bad. Players missing checks all night thinking offense, yet they created none.
-Halak was ordinary last night, but he faced way too many good chances and rebounds without the net cleared. He should've stopped the Zadina goal, however, but it was a shot from a decent area beating a goalie clean. Again, why can't we do that? Not like Husso is vintage Hasek.

TL;DR, for a team that is now Top 5 in the league in talent, they need to do better against what is an eminently beatable bubble team, recent results be damned. I hope they're mad about this one and play better vs. Washington.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think there's value in the fact of "if you're gonna chill in the slot I hope the broken ankle is worth it" from one of his shots but like 90% of the time that's not what actually happens in practice. Trouba's shots either miss wide or go right to the goalie. Getting pucks through is harder than it's ever been at the NHL level cause defenses got so good at blocking it. I think it's why the Rangers are so reliant on lateral passes, because their D are horrible shooters

I don't hate Mikkola but I was adamantly against the fact that we got another defenseman that sucks ass at getting shots through. Miller is extremely inconsistent with it which also doesn't help. He's the best skater on the team and opens up lanes with ease but he still passes up almost every shot. To his credit he does take shots when he's able to get closer in the slot. Lindgren is barely an NHL player in the offensive zone. Schneider is hit and miss. It's a big weakness and we definitely made it worse adding Mikkola.
It's also why I really wanted Chychrun.

In a vacuum, each individual is solid. As a whole, we need more offense talent from the back end IMO. Our entire gameplan in the O-Zone is a high cycle, get the puck low2high and get shots through. When we actually do it, the puck gets blocked or there's literally no one even remotely close to the middle and it's a muffin for the goalie

Trouba and Lindgren have been black holes offensively. Trouba is having a really poor offensive season

Reactions: will1066

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I hate the the distraction excuse but imagine you're a player and 30 minutes before gametime the roster gets adjusted in order to be able to facilitate a trade you know is for Patrick Kane. AKA the biggest American star in hockey over the last 20 years with a mountain of hardware to fall back on, including 3 Cups which we just so happen to be realistically chasing this season.

Yeah, I'd be a little distracted too hahaha

Exactly. NYR are always abuzz in the media especially this time of year but for me - this year is noisier in recent history. IMO

Reactions: McRanger92

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York
That game, as well as the game against Winnipeg, felt like games earlier in the season where we had all of the analytical numbers, possession, shots, control of play, and more working in our favor. But we cannot get two points out of the games despite feeling like we are clearly the better team on the ice. How do get back to losing expected goals for, but winning every game, immediately?
Even with having more shots and possession I did not feel like we were the better team on the ice last night. The Red Wings didn't blow me away or anything but I felt they outplayed us for sure.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
It's also why I really wanted Chychrun.

In a vacuum, each individual is solid. As a whole, we need more offense talent from the back end IMO. Our entire gameplan in the O-Zone is a high cycle, get the puck low2high and get shots through. When we actually do it, the puck gets blocked or there's literally no one even remotely close to the middle and it's a muffin for the goalie

Trouba and Lindgren have been black holes offensively. Trouba is having a really poor offensive season

Only liked for the bolded, just to clarify.

Edit: No, I like the second paragraph too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad