OT: Pittsburgher Thread: Here We Go Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hope he turns it around. Major depression/anxiety issues tend to be far worse when you have too much time on you're hands as well.

and it has to be doubly frustrating to feel depressed while you are getting the chance to live out your dream job. Its a physical/chemical problem, but its still got that stigma of "what does he have to be depressed about?"

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
and it has to be doubly frustrating to feel depressed while you are getting the chance to live out your dream job. Its a physical/chemical problem, but its still got that stigma of "what does he have to be depressed about?"

Yup, unfortunately looking at those things from a practical point of view as an outsider isn't going to make a lot of sense and that leads to a lot of the negative perceptions/misunderstandings that come with the social stigma with these issues. It is easy to look at it as spoiled and immature and selfish when often external success for people like that is largely irrelevant to internal comfort and these negative external views can often only make it worse and harder to get out of that negative spiral.

I wish him the best of luck on a personal level as it is definitely not as easy as being successful in his career, or focusing on it for a little while and saying the right things, but he seems to at least be opening up to it and admitting it and taking an active role in addressing it through rehab and such which is a huge step.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yup, unfortunately looking at those things from a practical point of view as an outsider isn't going to make a lot of sense and that leads to a lot of the negative perceptions/misunderstandings that come with the social stigma with these issues. It is easy to look at it as spoiled and immature and selfish when often external success for people like that is largely irrelevant to internal comfort and these negative external views can often only make it worse and harder to get out of that negative spiral.

I wish him the best of luck on a personal level as it is definitely not as easy as being successful in his career, or focusing on it for a little while and saying the right things, but he seems to at least be opening up to it and admitting it and taking an active role in addressing it through rehab and such which is a huge step.

I would think its hard not to at least occasionally think that from his own perspective. Its not right, but it still has to be there sometimes.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I would think its hard not to at least occasionally think that from his own perspective. Its not right, but it still has to be there sometimes.

Oh I just meant it is hard for other people not in his position to understand his situation and feelings and mentality because on the surface it doesn't make sense. But agreed, I have a lot of personal understanding and dealing with these types of issues and it is a very tricky thing to deal with both for the people struggling and those around them to understand.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The adult part wasn't a joke.

Also I've suffered from depression for a decade and anxiety and I never needed marijuana as a coping drug. I was prescribed stuff and worked out a lot and talking to someone helped me. People using the excuse of well weed helped him you don't know how bad it can be can save that excuse. Been there with the illness for a huge part of my life.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Also I've suffered from depression for a decade and anxiety and I never needed marijuana as a coping drug. I was prescribed stuff and worked out a lot and talking to someone helped me. People using the excuse of well weed helped him you don't know how bad it can be can save that excuse. Been there with the illness for a huge part of my life.

in my defense, you used adult as a verb. As for using weed to help with depression, he's likely been smoking since long before he ever realized he should be seeking treatment for depression. Not an excuse, but likely an explanation.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Everybody's depression is not created equally. I'm glad that prescription drugs, working out and talking to people helped you. That doesn't mean those same treatments will work for everybody. It's bizarre to me that you'd be so judgemental of someone else who has suffered with a disease that you can relate to. One thing that you can't relate to, however, is being a professional athlete who gets knocked around on a regular basis. Weed helps with that too. Would you rather him take painkillers that, despite being legal, are objectively worse for his health?

I understand the argument that it's illegal and therefore by choosing to ignore that, you're jeopardizing your team's best interests. That's a fair argument, but the logical extension of that isn't "don't use _____", it's "don't get caught using _____". You're tacking on a lot of conclusions that I don't think are reasonable.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Everybody's depression is not created equally. I'm glad that prescription drugs, working out and talking to people helped you. That doesn't mean those same treatments will work for everybody. It's bizarre to me that you'd be so judgemental of someone else who has suffered with a disease that you can relate to. One thing that you can't relate to, however, is being a professional athlete who gets knocked around on a regular basis. Weed helps with that too. Would you rather him take painkillers that, despite being legal, are objectively worse for his health?

I understand the argument that it's illegal and therefore by choosing to ignore that, you're jeopardizing your team's best interests. That's a fair argument, but the logical extension of that isn't "don't use _____", it's "don't get caught using _____". You're tacking on a lot of conclusions that I don't think are reasonable.

Yup, very well articulated and fully agreed on everything.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
How the NFL can possibly allow someone like Tyreek Hill in the league is a joke. He should be in prison. How did that judge not throw the book at him for choking and punching a pregnant woman in the stomach ?

People like him don't deserve second chances.

Even people who think abusers deserve second chances would say that they deserve to suffer some consequences before getting their second chance.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Texans d is pretty good and New England hasn't played anyone. Of the decent teams they've played, only Seattle had a good QB and they beat New England.

I don't think they'll win, but they might not get steamrolled.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
To beat the patriots you have to take risks. But once again, another team that settles for short field goals while letting up TDs. Nobody learns.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Just imagine if the Texans didn't settle for 2 short field goals. Be aggressive from here on out.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Oswelier 13/20 for 83 yards in the first half? How much of his contract is guaranteed? Whatever is way too much.

The Texans winning would help salvage an otherwise disastrous sports evening.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
God forbid Brady gets tackled...acts like a *****. Ben gets knocked around , gets up with his helmet sideways with turf stuck in the facemask and keeps on going. Brady gets sneezed on he's looking at the refs after.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
NHL refs would have half the NE players in prison for their mean words at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad