OT: Pittsburgher Thread: Here We Go Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Did I really just read what I think I did? He's not a basehead. He smokes weed. You do realize that it's literally impossible to die from weed, right?

Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns it around, too. But if he doesn't, he loses a really cool career and millions of dollars, not his life.

So you don't think depression is a life threatening condition?

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
I really hate conspiracy theories, but damn if the NFL doesn't make it hard to believe it when they fine the Steelers for doing **** every other team does but doesn't get penalized/fined for.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I'm fine with both blocks, I think they're strong football plays, but Floyd's is objectively "worse" in terms of how the NFL wants to implement the rule. It's outrageous that they chose to fine Rogers and not Floyd. If one deserves a fine, so does the other.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Works out for me. I'll be going to my cabin this weekend and not coming back til Sunday evening.

On martavis... I really hope that dude has his **** together and his mind is right, because he can be a monster in this league. I don't get why he wanted to quit football after being suspended, though. How about just quit smoking pot, which is banned by your employer and not highly addictive, instead? That would have been the smart decision after the first time he was suspended.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Dear Lord I had no idea what Hill did until I kept reading things about DV here and elsewhere. Just looked it up, that's pretty sickening. What a POS despite how rehabilitated he becomes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
http://www.si.com/nfl/video/2017/01/13/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers-super-bowl-51

Video on Bryant and what he's been up to. Dude looks jacked...

I want to believe he is contrite and changed his ways, but we all know it usually doesn't happen that way with these athletes.

Hopefully his words don't ring hollow because he's a true freak that makes this team a SB favorite, but more importantly because his life may be at stake.

The stuff I read about him and Roethlisberger, I don't know, I hope he sorts that out because if he just assumes him and Ben are cool because "they grown men" then that's not gonna end well.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
On martavis... I really hope that dude has his **** together and his mind is right, because he can be a monster in this league. I don't get why he wanted to quit football after being suspended, though. How about just quit smoking pot, which is banned by your employer and not highly addictive, instead? That would have been the smart decision after the first time he was suspended.

For some people, the natural reaction to realizing that their job may be in jeopardy is to want to quit. That's definitely not everyone's reaction, but it's within the range of normal reactions.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have a hard time feeling bad for NFL players. Highest rate of bankruptcy and I am guessing a lot of child support to multiple women with most of these guys and then the assaults, drugs, and other crap. I mean cool, he's realizing now he hung out with a dumb crowd and that "Smoke weed e'rrday" crap will mean he lives at his mom's house for the rest of his life working some dead end job if he doesn't smarten up.

If he really is remorseful, he will stop with this bull **** about being a man that has his own business and others should mind their own. He was signed to a contract to be a part of a team, he let that team down by being an idiot with weed, he owes his team mates an apology, not just show up when his suspension is up and be like hey whats up? The guy wants to pretend to be an adult but doesn't know how to ****ing be an adult. Learn to adult Martavis.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I have a hard time feeling bad for NFL players. Highest rate of bankruptcy and I am guessing a lot of child support to multiple women with most of these guys and then the assaults, drugs, and other crap.
Every league, not to mention every other career you can get and hold without above-average intelligence, has a pretty high occurrence of "assaults, drugs, and other crap." Every league, not to mention every career that starts in the mid six figures and goes way up from there, has a lot of child support to multiple women.

The primary difference between the NFL and those other leagues are the lack of guaranteed contracts and the higher medical expenses.

I mean cool, he's realizing now he hung out with a dumb crowd and that "Smoke weed e'rrday" crap will mean he lives at his mom's house for the rest of his life working some dead end job if he doesn't smarten up.

If he really is remorseful, he will stop with this bull **** about being a man that has his own business and others should mind their own. He was signed to a contract to be a part of a team, he let that team down by being an idiot with weed, he owes his team mates an apology, not just show up when his suspension is up and be like hey whats up? The guy wants to pretend to be an adult but doesn't know how to ****ing be an adult. Learn to adult Martavis.
I both understand and respect this point of view, but it's not the majority belief of NFL players. Half of NFL players smoke weed. Most of them are not going to feel that they are owed an apology.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The thing about smoking weed, I get it, it's widely accepted as a drug where "Hey if you can do _____ while high, I'm more impressed than anything" kind of thing. It's a drug where people will claim up and down that it's not addicting (I know people that have stopped suddenly without issue and others that haven't as easily). But it's a banned substance in basically every sport. If they value their careers so much, why jeopardize it to feel "chilled out" by getting high?

In any case, my point was that if he feels has learned something, then show it by apologizing to the people that he let down, which is his team. Ben Roethlisberger said some things about the guy where it seemed like they knew and told him to knock it off and he said he did and still did it and got in trouble for it anyway, those comments about lying are harsh from one team mate to another.

Either way, if he's really turned a new leaf, then cool, having him back makes the Steelers a bigger threat.

Now if we can finally draft some decent QB that can step in when Ben has his annual injury, that'd be cool.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The thing about smoking weed, I get it, it's widely accepted as a drug where "Hey if you can do _____ while high, I'm more impressed than anything" kind of thing. It's a drug where people will claim up and down that it's not addicting (I know people that have stopped suddenly without issue and others that haven't as easily). But it's a banned substance in basically every sport. If they value their careers so much, why jeopardize it to feel "chilled out" by getting high?

In any case, my point was that if he feels has learned something, then show it by apologizing to the people that he let down, which is his team. Ben Roethlisberger said some things about the guy where it seemed like they knew and told him to knock it off and he said he did and still did it and got in trouble for it anyway, those comments about lying are harsh from one team mate to another.

Either way, if he's really turned a new leaf, then cool, having him back makes the Steelers a bigger threat.

Now if we can finally draft some decent QB that can step in when Ben has his annual injury, that'd be cool.

From everything I've read/heard, he had/has huge problems with anxiety and was fighting major depression issues.

He checked into rehab for his depression:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/03/12/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers/81693628/

One of his agents, Brian Fettner, told USA Today that Bryant has a marijuana problem, “a coping issue and a depression issue.” He added, “If you talk to anybody's family that has depression, they will be talking about these same things — the (despondence), the withdrawal, the head-in-the-sand despair — just trying to cope.

It was mentioned a couple of times and speculated that he used weed as a coping mechanism for his anxiety issues. I've never touched the stuff so I have no idea if it helps in that regard, but I have plenty of weedhead friends that claim it helps.

So the underlying issue doesn't seem to be waking and baking per se, but his struggles with depression.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have a hard time feeling bad for NFL players. Highest rate of bankruptcy and I am guessing a lot of child support to multiple women with most of these guys and then the assaults, drugs, and other crap. I mean cool, he's realizing now he hung out with a dumb crowd and that "Smoke weed e'rrday" crap will mean he lives at his mom's house for the rest of his life working some dead end job if he doesn't smarten up.

You say this as kind of a joke, but this is actually a pretty huge issue that goes well beyond just him or the NFL. I can't speak for Bryant specifically, but a huge chunk of the NFL population comes from poor black communities. The people that should be helping them "learn to adult" are a lot of the time also paying child support to multiple women (or more likely they are one of the women), working dead end jobs if they are working at all, living with their parents, and a part of the "Smoke weed e'rrday" crowd. That's the life a ton of these NFL players grow up with and expect to grow in to. Those dumb crowds are probably friends they've had their whole lives. Or their family. So they want to go help them out. Retire mom. Have a good time with their friends. But they still live in that world. It can't be an easy thing to just leave them behind.

So while I don't disagree with you that these guys need to learn to handle their situations better, I also understand why it can be so hard for so many of them.

edit per Jiggy's post: And add in depression and anxiety issues, and things get way more difficult really quickly.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
From everything I've read/heard, he had/has huge problems with anxiety and was fighting major depression issues.

He checked into rehab for his depression:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/03/12/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers/81693628/

It was mentioned a couple of times and speculated that he used weed as a coping mechanism for his anxiety issues. I've never touched the stuff so I have no idea if it helps in that regard, but I have plenty of weedhead friends that claim it helps.

So the underlying issue doesn't seem to be waking and baking per se, but his struggles with depression.

IIRC, when MB was most recently suspended, Tomlin expressed concern for his well being, etc., whereas you heard nothing like that when Bell was suspended again. Even before the article you referenced came out, it sounded like MB has issues that go well beyond just liking to smoke weed. Hope to see him back next year; if healthy, he'd be a huge benefit.

Should be a great game tomorrow.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
Dear Lord I had no idea what Hill did until I kept reading things about DV here and elsewhere. Just looked it up, that's pretty sickening. What a POS despite how rehabilitated he becomes.

I didn't either, I have lost a lot of interest in the NFL and don't watch many games anymore. I just have a hard time trying to root for a bunch of idiot thugs who 20% should probably be in prison.

How the NFL can possibly allow someone like Tyreek Hill in the league is a joke. He should be in prison. How did that judge not throw the book at him for choking and punching a pregnant woman in the stomach ?

People like him don't deserve second chances.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
IIRC, when MB was most recently suspended, Tomlin expressed concern for his well being, etc., whereas you heard nothing like that when Bell was suspended again. Even before the article you referenced came out, it sounded like MB has issues that go well beyond just liking to smoke weed. Hope to see him back next year; if healthy, he'd be a huge benefit.

Should be a great game tomorrow.

I hope he turns it around. Major depression/anxiety issues tend to be far worse when you have too much time on you're hands as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad