Dreger: Pittsburgh will move a defenseman [SIKE! Bad reporting is the norm!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I don't think DeSmith going on waivers changes anything:

The Penguins already have 9 defenseman either on a 1-way deal or as players JR wants up. Something has to give there, even if it's not JJ

It would make me very, very happy if Jack Johnson gets moved (or buried, or just gone, whatever) and John Marino slotted in as a regular blueliner for the Pens, all the same week.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
JJ (25% retention) + PIT 2020 1st <------> COL 2020 7th

• Colorado uses extra capspace to pick up a good asset by taking on a terrible 4 year contract.
  • Pittsburgh retains 0.81m, but saves $2.44m for the next 4 years. A 1st is a heavy price, but it's the 4 year term (during Crosby & Malkin's last years) that make it costly.
I would also be open to considering moves involving DeSmith (once he clears waivers) and another prospect instead of a pick, though I think a future pick suits Colorado much better (as a future pick would be on an ELC when Mackinnon resigns, rather than before that as a prospect would be).

Colorado doesn't need to worry about capspace for the next 2 years (when Makar, Landeskog, and Grubauer are up for renewals), and by then JJ would be easier to move with a higher cap and with just 2 years left (and also perhaps even some retention from Pittsburgh too).

At 50% retention the 1st could be a 2nd perhaps, but I prefer lower retention with a better asset attached, as Avs have so much capspace to play with right now.

Avs could also include one of Connauton/Barberio/Graves to make things work contract wise.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
JJ (25% retention) + PIT 2020 1st <------> COL 2020 7th

• Colorado uses extra capspace to pick up a good asset by taking on a terrible 4 year contract.
  • Pittsburgh retains 0.81m, but saves $2.44m for the next 4 years.
Colorado doesn't need to worry about capspace for the next 2 years (when Makar, Landeskog, and Grubauer are up for renewals), and by then JJ would be easier to move with a higher cap and with just 2 years left (and also perhaps even some retention from Pittsburgh too).

I would also be open to considering moves involving DeSmith (once he clears waivers) and another prospect instead of a pick, though I think a future pick suits Colorado much better (as a future pick would be on an ELC when Mackinnon resigns, rather than before that as a prospect would be).

At 50% retention the 1st could be a 2nd perhaps, but I prefer lower retention with a better asset attached, as Avs have so much capspace to play with right now.

Avs could also include one of Connauton/Barberio/Graves to make things work contract wise.

Okay, why would the Penguins do this? Please explain why they'd sink a 1st rounder and retain 25% on JJ's contract to move him. You talked about why Colorado may be willing to do that, but you didn't provide a reason why the Penguins would do that.

Remember, the Penguins are cap compliant right now and have an alternative for dealing with Johnson (bury him in the AHL and buy him out after the year). So why would the team add their 1st and take on about $1 million in dead space for 3 years just to get rid of him? Make it a 2nd and it's more reasonable, but that's a big difference in value.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Okay, why would the Penguins do this? Please explain why they'd sink a 1st rounder and retain 25% on JJ's contract to move him. You talked about why Colorado may be willing to do that, but you didn't provide a reason why the Penguins would do that.

Remember, the Penguins are cap compliant right now and have an alternative for dealing with Johnson (bury him in the AHL and buy him out after the year). So why would the team add their 1st and take on about $1 million in dead space for 3 years just to get rid of him? Make it a 2nd and it's more reasonable, but that's a big difference in value.
Jack Johnson is effectively already dead space, for 4 years, at $3.25m. To get that dead space down to 0.81m would be important for Pittsburgh to fit good players into the cap.

I do agree with the gist of what you're saying though. A 1st seems a bit steep and Pittsburgh could probably find more creative ways to get around JJ's contract. They won't have many willing trade partners at this stage of the offseason though which makes it a 'buyers' market on JJ.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jack Johnson is effectively already dead space, for 4 years, at $3.25m. To get that dead space down to 0.81m would be important for Pittsburgh to fit good players into the cap.

I do agree with the gist of what you're saying though. A 1st seems a bit steep and Pittsburgh could probably find more creative ways to get around JJ's contract. They won't have many willing trade partners at this stage of the offseason though which makes it a 'buyers' market on JJ.

We're not keeping JJ vs trading him in your deal, it's burying JJ for this year and then buying him out vs trading him in your deal. The comparison is:

-1 year of a $2.15 million cap penalty (Johnson buried in the AHL)
-2 years of a $1.15 million cap penalty
-1 year of a $1.9 million cap penalty
-3 years of a $915k cap penalty

vs

-4 years of a $810k cap penalty
-Losing a 1st round pick

To me, option 1 is clearly the better option there. I'd take the extra 3 years of a cap penalty over losing a 1st round pick.

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
Everyone keeps saying it’s going to be jj traded but watch GMJR trade shultz and replace him with marino

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
We're not keeping JJ vs trading him in your deal, it's burying JJ for this year and then buying him out vs trading him in your deal. The comparison is:

vs

-4 years of a $810k cap penalty
-Losing a 1st round pick

To me, option 1 is clearly the better option there. I'd take the extra 3 years of a cap penalty over losing a 1st round pick.
Thanks for outlining that so clearly, much appreciated.

I agree that a 1st is probably too much with regards to what you just posted.

That said, would you feel differently if there was no retention on JJ? Basically, the trade without any retention would be:

vs

- Losing a 1st round pick

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

That said, would you feel differently if there was no retention on JJ? Basically, the trade without any retention would be:

vs

Tbh, I'd rather retain and add lesser futures than not retain and add a 1st. I think I'd rank the choices:

1. Retain some with lesser assets added on top (ZAR, Jarry, 2nd rounder, ect)
2. Bury JJ and buy him out
3. Add a major asset on top of JJ with no retention
4. Add a major asset on top of JJ with retention
5. Keep JJ

I think that's probably pretty unanimous among Penguins fans. I think most fans would be okay with 1 or 2, but after that, you start getting some resistance.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Everyone keeps saying it’s going to be jj traded but watch GMJR trade shultz and replace him with marino

Even if JJ isn't traded I doubt they'll move Schultz before the season starts. The team just published a glowing article on their website about what a great season he's going to have.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
What happens after 10am?

I don’t think anything other than 48 hours will have elapsed since the point at which someone announced it would happen within 48 hours.

By the way that makes for a terrible thread title. People reading the thread title 30 hours later have no implicit knowledge of when the ‘next 48 hours’ began. Really should have been a ‘by early tuesday’ or such.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

vs

JR will want the 1st for a potential trade before the deadline.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If Byfuglien isn't expected back maybe? JJ is by no means a Byfuglien replacement but I suppose that would be the rationale.

Hypothetically Buff retires......Jets would need/want a top 4 D to replace him. Jets have multi bottom pairing guys, so JJ doesn't offer them anything they don't have already. Plus at this point Ville H has been outstanding D in camp, easily our 2nd/3rd best D in the preseason......

Not to mention JJ contract isn't good, which hurts any chances the Jets have interest in adding a depth vet guy........especially his term.

Reactions: Curufinwe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad