Dreger: Pittsburgh will move a defenseman [SIKE! Bad reporting is the norm!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
How's John Marino working out?

I was pretty disappointed he wasn't going to come to Edmonton.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
There hasn't been a trade/free-agency thread on the Pens board for 6+ months that hasn't had Jack MF Johnson's name in its title. So.... everyone knows who we want to move.
As that has been... difficult... and none of Letang, Dumo, Schultz or Petterson are getting moved, and moving JMFJ is difficult.... the only other candidate who'd create the desired cap-effect is Gudbransson who is overpaid as a third pairing guy... but he has otherwise been pretty good for us. Riikola has had decent pre-season and makes little sense to move from a cap perspective.

So.... likely we waive Ruhwedel and Dreger can tout his insider credentials with a smug "There, they did it. See me now?"

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Gudbranson looked good after coming over from Vancouver, but he - like Johnson - carries a sizeable cap hit.

EDIT: @Tender Rip summarized it.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Your top prospect? You kidding me?

Well, by all accounts he has been impressive, but has more to do with the fact that we have no other NHL ready D-prospects. The others are teenagers. Marino looks like he might be able to play right now, but doubtlessly will get to marinate in the AHL some.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Your top prospect? You kidding me? Is he why they're looking to move a Dman to make room for him? Is he NHL ready?

A 6th round pick huh?:oops:
I mean he's one of the 27 guys still at camp, so it's highly possible. He's probably looked like our 4th best dman in preseason, so it wouldn't surprise me.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I mean he's part of the 27 guys still at camp, so it's highly possible. He's probably looked like our 4th best dman in preseason, so it wouldn't surprise me.
Well, by all accounts he has been impressive, but has more to do with the fact that we have no other NHL ready D-prospects. The others are teenagers. Marino looks like he might be able to play right now, but doubtlessly will get to marinate in the AHL some.

A 6th rnd pick huh!?:damnpc:

I'm going to bed and curl up in a ball and cry myself to sleep.:cry: Goodnight!

:jk:

Congrats you guys. Jim should be patted on the back for being the only GM that had any good judgment to grab Marino. A 6th was highway robbery then and it looks even worse now.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
A 6th rnd pick huh!?:damnpc:

I'm going to bed and curl up in a ball and cry myself to sleep.:cry: Goodnight!

:jk:

Congrats you guys. Jim should be patted on the back for being the only GM that had any good judgment to grab Marino. A 6th was highway robbery then and it looks even worse now.

I'm not sure you understand how that one worked... He wasn't going to sign with Edmonton and would have been a free agent.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Rikola looked pretty good last pre-season as well, just like a bunch of other guys on teams who end up not hacking it over the rigors of an NHL season. Maybe Marino will be different.

It does say a lot about his status though if the Penguins move someone not named Johnson out to keep him.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Not taking Jack Johnson if that's what you're asking.

200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->