Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part VII (MOD WARNING post #275)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
Bob Pompeani just had William DePaoli on his show - yes, the TIOPS guy - and Pompeani introduced him to having a lot of knowledge and a great website. Things are worse in the Pittsburgh media than I thought.

If you hadn't heard it, DePaoli sounded like a typical yinzer you would talk to in a bar. I'm not sure if they'll podcast it or not, but I couldn't believe it. He didn't say anything that we didn't know already, and I think he just follows twitter and repeats what he sees on there and makes it into an article. I don't think he even has any sort of press credentials.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
I heard it! Just turned on radio, heard what I thought was just a typical 93.7 slow mumbling-bumbling caller...then Pomp said "..thanks to our special guest Will DePaoli, check out his great website..."!!!
Terrible.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
I heard it! Just turned on radio, heard what I thought was just a typical 93.7 slow mumbling-bumbling caller...then Pomp said "..thanks to our special guest Will DePaoli, check out his great website..."!!!
Terrible.

DePaoli sounded uncomfortable, probably because he was afraid Pompeani would ask him a hard question and he would have to fumble around even more for an answer. I still can't believe Bob Pompeani would laud him as a real inside source. Our local media is going from bad to worse.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Bob Pompeani just had William DePaoli on his show - yes, the TIOPS guy - and Pompeani introduced him to having a lot of knowledge and a great website. Things are worse in the Pittsburgh media than I thought.

If you hadn't heard it, DePaoli sounded like a typical yinzer you would talk to in a bar. I'm not sure if they'll podcast it or not, but I couldn't believe it. He didn't say anything that we didn't know already, and I think he just follows twitter and repeats what he sees on there and makes it into an article. I don't think he even has any sort of press credentials.

Eh, that Ulf might not want this job because he's afraid his son will be waived or traded, while not information so much as wild speculation, is something that had never occurred to me.

There's another Depaoli in the legit Pittsburgh media. He probably rec'ed his cousin or whoever to Bob. That's probably why that happened.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Some of these guys don't have a clue. I remember KDKA's sports producer Mike Vukovcan following and praising Eklund on twitter at one point.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Mike Colligan interview about Penguins management apparatus. Starts at 25 minute mark. Pretty scathing. Compares the front office structure to a that of an elimination reality TV show.

Says Botterill was doing 80% of Shero's work. Can't reconcile in his mind that Shero's been fired for the reasons he was cited as having been fired (signings, draft), but Boterill is not on account of that despite being as directly involved if not more.

Says Bylsma was a really small fish that was used as an excuse by Morehouse to get rid of Shero on account of Shero locking him out of the decision-making process, which is a power he leveraged out of Pittsburgh by playing them off of Boston in 2006.

Handwaves some legitimate concerns about Shero, but it's still pretty fascinating. Still don't understand why this guy doesn't have a bigger pulpit. Probably the most-insightful guy covering hockey in this city.

https://soundcloud.com/talent-network/miller-vs-marshall-hockey-podcast-ep7-w-guest-mike-colligan-june-16-2014

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Still don't understand why this guy doesn't have a bigger pulpit. Probably the most-insightful guy covering hockey in this city.

Mike Colligan interview about Penguins management apparatus. Starts at 25 minute mark. Pretty scathing. Compares the front office structure to a that of an elimination reality TV show.

Oh, you know why

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I find it pretty hard to believe that Shero was only doing 20% of his job. That doesn't sound right to me at all.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I find it pretty hard to believe that Shero was only doing 20% of his job. That doesn't sound right to me at all.

He didn't phrase this as laziness, but more like Shero was very actively grooming him for a GM job and has been for 3 years.

It's possible Shero thought he'd be moving up to President of Hockey Ops, but that's just me spitballing.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
So Shero was fired because Moorhouse wanted more say in things is what this all boils down to.
Man, if this is true, this team is in a huge huge mess. Even more than I thought. For someone to fire someone else who is obviously much more qualified than himself simply reeks of pride and megolamania.
And even if it isn't, I still don't trust a guy like Moorhouse. Especially to make hockey personnel decisions. I simply have a difficult time in trusting somebody whose job it is to manipulate the truth (or flat out lie) in order for others to believe his agenda of the moment.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

Will DePaoli, who goes by BJ, took 5 years to graduate from Cal U. Seriously.

He used to pay Mark Madden $50 to write for his website until that went up in flames.

splitfags.jpg

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
That doesnt jive. The rumor was that botterill wasnt ready to be gm because ray was a control freak.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
That doesnt jive. The rumor was that botterill wasnt ready to be gm because ray was a control freak.

Yeah all of these rumors about front office turmoil strike me as ********. Media trying to make something out of nothing, drawing panic and getting hits. Just let the front office get their coach, and wait and see the results. There's no use in worrying about things we will only ever be able to speculate on.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think the reality of the situation is that Willie wanted to go to Vancouver and just wasn't blown away by the Pens. We may have had Peters as our first preference too. Regardless, there's no evidence of any front office issues just yet, just a coach who preferred a different situation.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I think the reality of the situation is that Willie wanted to go to Vancouver and just wasn't blown away by the Pens. We may have had Peters as our first preference too. Regardless, there's no evidence of any front office issues just yet, just a coach who preferred a different situation.

Pretty much this. It's been LONG rumored that WD was going to Vancouver. He's from British Columbia and gets to go back home with his family as a HC. He's friends with Trevor Linden so he has something good going on there.

I'm sure the **** show with the Pens was nothing more than contract leverage for him. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Linden told WD to go so he could use it as an excuse to hook him up some more and make it look like they won over WD from the Pens as a media propaganda tool.

Fire Shero*

Or maybe Vancouver offered him a long term and more money and an organization that isn't led by the 3 stooges?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
So Shero was fired because Moorhouse wanted more say in things is what this all boils down to.
Man, if this is true, this team is in a huge huge mess. Even more than I thought.

We've been wanting change for at least a year at the top, and now that we get it some of you are upset because there's a rumor from an unsubstantiated source that it might maybe possibly be due to a different reason than the one we want? There's no pleasing some people.

swaggerjack

Mar 28, 2013
Rossi blocked me on Twitter because I asked him his thoughts on Shelly trolling him. HE MAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad