Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part VII (MOD WARNING post #275)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Good god. The context of that was the suggestion that the Pens have a few whiney/self-entitled players still on the roster.

It wasn't just Kunitz acting like a ****(Edit) to the media. It was the suggestion that players are still angry that DB is gone. Can anyone here honestly say that isn't ****ed up if true? I mean, you bow out in embarrassing fashion every postseason for years, and you're *****ing about losing your buddy Dan?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Holy **** this is being blown WAY, WAY, WAY out of proportion. Do we even know what he said or who he said it to? How do you know he was *****ing?

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Holy **** this is being blown WAY, WAY, WAY out of proportion. Do we even know what he said or who he said it to? How do you know he was *****ing?

No we do not know. We have no quotes.

I think the real issue here is attacking someone over something that might not even be true.

Correct.

Unfortunately it fits a narrative that people with an agenda want to believe in.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I think the real issue here is attacking someone over something that might not even be true.

But defending someone over a reported behavior which fits right in with a well regarded issue on this team (re: entitlement/country club/missing DB/whatever) is perfectly fine? I mean, at least be consistent, although maybe expecting that on this site is an unreasonable expectation.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
But defending someone over a reported behavior which fits right in with a well regarded issue on this team (re: entitlement/country club/missing DB/whatever) is perfectly fine? I mean, at least be consistent, although maybe expecting that on this site is an unreasonable expectation.

There shouldn't even have to be a defense. People shouldn't be vilifying someone over something that probably never happened.

And really, who the **** cares if the team likes talking to the media? It just comes off as looking for a reason to *****.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

This this this... and we are almost venturing to where we should put a halt on the conversation. :laugh: It's sad. But man... a few things pop out on the interwebz and people lose their minds, eh?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You people who think a pro sports player is not paid to talk to the media need to get your heads out of the sand. It's part of the job, not their primary job, sure, but part of it.

I don't think this argument would have gone on for nearly this long, but people are just blindly defending Kunitz. This should have been a half page on this thread saying he shouldn't have done that and moved on. I'm going to be interested in how long some of you wait before talking about the "country club" after not caring if Kunitz can't spend some time to talk to reporters after a practice that's what, a few hours?

And for the record, everyone *****es to their coworkers, including me. But what I don't do is go *****ing to parents and families I work with, even though I work twice as long and hard as they do. It's unprofessional, and would absolutely cause problems.
1. Who did he complain to? Do you actually know if he complained at all?
2. I'd rather blindly trust Kunitz than blindly trust Mark Madden. Kunitz has about as positive of a history as you can have. Mark Madden literally gets payed to stir up controversy.
3. If anyone on our team cuts a media session short once in a blue moon (has Kunitz ever done it before?) I don't care even a little bit.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Maybe I'm the only one that likes to watch interviews but I was already of the opinion that Kunitz and Scuderi specifically were not pleased Bylsma was gone. Madden's only confirmed that to me.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe I'm the only one that likes to watch interviews but I was already of the opinion that Kunitz and Scuderi specifically were not pleased Bylsma was gone. Madden's only confirmed that to me.

I am sure there are players that liked Bylsma and players that didn't. I don't know what that has to do with the ridiculous criticism Kunitz' been receiving in this thread.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
So regardless how ****** Bylsma is - now people are angry that maybe (we don't know that, this is all based on basically rumors) players feel loyal to their coach? And liked someone they played under for years?

I'm as glad as everyone that Bylsma is finally gone, but I'm not surprised that players liked him (besides the younger guys that were mistreated).

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
You people who think a pro sports player is not paid to talk to the media need to get your heads out of the sand. It's part of the job, not their primary job, sure, but part of it.

I don't think this argument would have gone on for nearly this long, but people are just blindly defending Kunitz. This should have been a half page on this thread saying he shouldn't have done that and moved on. I'm going to be interested in how long some of you wait before talking about the "country club" after not caring if Kunitz can't spend some time to talk to reporters after a practice that's what, a few hours?

And for the record, everyone *****es to their coworkers, including me. But what I don't do is go *****ing to parents and families I work with, even though I work twice as long and hard as they do. It's unprofessional, and would absolutely cause problems.

Yep. If Scuderi came out and made a smart remark about how his time was too important to spend 5 minutes answering questions, he'd have been savaged, despite the fact that he doesn't even have a letter and is less obligated than Kunitz is.

Since it's Kunitz, people are pretending there's some field of work in which it's normal for a spokesperson to walk up to a business partner and tell them doing a quick bit of business you're under contract to do is a waste of your time. Not sure what industry this behavior would be considered acceptable. Maybe drug trafficking.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
1. Who did he complain to? Do you actually know if he complained at all?

This part is gold. Do we know Adams tattled on people? Do we know Neal was a locker room cancer? Nope. This is a message board, all we actually have to go on are reports by, shocking, reporters. No one has an issue believing things we hear about players we don't like, which is not surprising.

Also quite a bit of strawman, so I'll say it slower.
Criticism of Kunitz cutting a media session: low. It was kind of a dickish and entitled thing to do (obligatory "if" since you must be so literal), so he deserves a BIT of criticism, I'm not dragging him over the coals here. He seems like a good guy, he's a good player, and maybe was just having a bad day (not that having a bad day is an excuse for anything, but it happens to all of us)
Criticism of the fact that once again this attitude seems to be an ongoing issue with this team: medium, I know you and a few other have gone off way more than this than I have in the past, so it's weird you're ignoring it now.
Criticism of posters on here who defend Kunitz like he's their brother while ridiculing players we don't like for things we aren't 100% on either: high. We just aren't going to agree on holding people to similar standards for behavior or what a pro athlete is being paid for, so I'm done with this conversation. But continue to pretend that I'm bashing Kunitz like he's a monster if it makes you feel better.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This part is gold. Do we know Adams tattled on people? Do we know Neal was a locker room cancer? Nope. This is a message board, all we actually have to go on are reports by, shocking, reporters. No one has an issue believing things we hear about players we don't like, which is not surprising.r.

I dislike Adams as a hockey player, but still find it hard to believe he was a snitch.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
What's different with Penguins training camp?

Kris Letang, defenseman - "I don’t think there’s [anything] new. It’s a different system so everything is new around the tactics or around the system. The only changes, guys are excited to see more opportunity for young guys or new guys to have new ice time or play different game situations. I think it’s exciting. That’s the biggest change."

Simon Despres, defenseman - "Well definitely a change for me is the first time I’ve had a new coach in Pittsburgh. It’s definitely different. System-wise, right now he’s trying to progressively give us systems so it’s not as much systems as usual. The drills are different. The last five years it’s basically been … not always the same drills but basically the same drills. I didn’t even have to think last year at training camp. I knew all the drills by heart. Now, I’ve got to think more. You’ve got new drills, new coaches, new faces. It’s fun."

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I dislike Adams as a hockey player, but still find it hard to believe he was a snitch.

Maybe or maybe not a snitch but he was a first class brownnoser to DB and Shero. Shero signed him to a 2 year contract when they had all of the leverage, why?

How many of you know guys like this at your workplace, below average producer but can do no wrong in the eyes of management?

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
we learned this past offseason that the lockerroom and attitude of this team was rotten and dysfunctional, much worse than anyone realistically imagined. the penguins pr machine and media did a great job convincing us all that everything was fine with this team, when it clearly was not.

sure hcdb is gone, along with orpik and niskanen. but most of the vets are still with this team. i refuse to believe that hdcb, orpik, niskanen were the only problems with this team. it seems quite likely that some of the malcontents and entitled vets that caused problems are still with this team. talking to the media in and of itself isnt a big deal to me, but since some of the entitled vets are likely still with this team and that is unnerving.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
we learned this past offseason that the lockerroom and attitude of this team was rotten and dysfunctional, much worse than anyone realistically imagined. the penguins pr machine and media did a great job convincing us all that everything was fine with this team, when it clearly was not.

sure hcdb is gone, along with orpik and niskanen. but most of the vets are still with this team. i refuse to believe that hdcb, orpik, niskanen were the only problems with this team. it seems quite likely that some of the malcontents and entitled vets that caused problems are still with this team. talking to the media in and of itself isnt a big deal to me, but since some of the entitled vets are likely still with this team and that is unnerving.

Who are we really talking about though? Who's left?

Crosby - doubt he is a malcontent. Dude just wants to win.
Malkin - see above
Dupuis - always thought he was a hard worker.
Sutter - doubt he is a malcontent
Kunitz - he doesn't work on the ice like he did when he first came to the Pens, but he's older so...
Scuds - who cares, he gots to go
Adams - who cares he gots to go
Martin - he'll be gone in season, hopefully sooner, who cares

I just don't see much of a problem. I think moving a lazy ass like Neal for Hornqvist, and adding young, hungry legs, plus a new coach that doesn't have any pets, will keep everyone playing hard.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

It's one of those things where there isn't a lot that I would be surprised to find out was going on with that team, within reason. I think Bylsma had a serious unprofessional streak and it might explain some stuff, so it's not impossible even if it's only speculation. Possibly true, possibly not true or possibly something in between.

To the casual observer, notable differences from this camp to those under Bylsma include the lack of shootout drills and more conditioning drills. And unlike last year, there hasn't been anything remotely similar to a marketing stunt such as an infamous whiffle ball game on ice.

All good. The damn whiffle ball. :laugh:

Fordy

May 28, 2008

this is my view as well. not sure why acknowledging this is being seen as being "angry"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->