Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I love everything I read and hear about Johnston. He makes a few strange personnel decisions, but overall I'm very pleased with him

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It's a refreshing change from what we've been used to. MJ sounds like he knows exactly what he wants to do in situation A, B, and C. He also sounds like, during his interviews, that he is trying to educate the reporter and people listening at home.

Might not agree with everything he does, but I can understand what he's doing and the real test is how he handles the playoffs.

The whole Bylsma era I ignored anytime a mic was in front of him because it was going to be nothing but silence, clichés, question dodging, and refusing to acknowledge mistakes and shortcomings. A complete 180 now with MJ. I actually enjoy listening to him.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Overall I like Johnston. His system seems pretty good and he seems to know what he's talking about.

However his lineups/usage is pretty much the same as Bylsma's. And that's what's frustrating.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Overall I like Johnston. His system seems pretty good and he seems to know what he's talking about.

However his lineups/usage is pretty much the same as Bylsma's. And that's what's frustrating.

The only issue i have is i wish Despres was getting more minutes. He should be top 4 easily right now. Every thing else i think falls into him just trying different combos and assessing different options which imo is a breath of fresh air. Hopefully Despres minutes last night was because of getting banged up in yesterdays practice. Thats been his only blemish imo.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
The only issue i have is i wish Despres was getting more minutes. He should be top 4 easily right now. Every thing else i think falls into him just trying different combos and assessing different options which imo is a breath of fresh air. Hopefully Despres minutes last night was because of getting banged up in yesterdays practice. Thats been his only blemish imo.

I agree. Despres should be playing more for sure.

But of course the coach will trust the veteran's more than a younger player. Even if the veteran isn't as good.

So annoying.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I agree. Despres should be playing more for sure.

But of course the coach will trust the veteran's more than a younger player. Even if the veteran isn't as good.

So annoying.

Despres is getting the right amount of minutes because Johnston is running the bench very well right now despite the absences.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
very funny

Less TOI for Despres means less chance for pucks going in behind Fleury. I don't want to see Despres scratched once Maatta comes back but Johnston & Agnew need to monitor his minutes and Scuderi seems to be a good partner. The problem is where does this leave Bortuzzo?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Less Despres is actually pository and the coaching staff is doing a very good job in this regards.

Since the start of November, Despres Has averaged around 18 minutes a game... last game was the lowest ice time in that timeframe since a game vs the Senators where he was dinged for a moment. His highest ice time came in a 1-0 win vs Colorado, where he played 22 minutes.

The fact is he is a top 4 D but when everyone is healthy he is playing the minutes behind Letang, Maatta, Martin and Erhoff. and he isn't being helped by Scuds... that's just the company line... he is there to carry the puck for the immobile and terrible-at-passing scuderi. He helps scuds... not the other way around

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Look man. I'm sorry that Despres screwed your girl or whatever, but he's a good defenseman and should be playing more.

Since the start of November, Despres Has averaged around 18 minutes a game... last game was the lowest ice time in that timeframe since a game vs the Senators where he was dinged for a moment. His highest ice time came in a 1-0 win vs Colorado, where he played 22 minutes.

The fact is he is a top 4 D but when everyone is healthy he is playing the minutes behind Letang, Maatta, Martin and Erhoff. and he isn't being helped by Scuds... that's just the company line... he is there to carry the puck for the immobile and terrible-at-passing scuderi. He helps scuds... not the other way around

It's all about the plus/minus fellas.

Despres > Letang, Doughty, Suter, Seabrook, Pietrangelo and Kronwall.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Less TOI for Despres means less chance for pucks going in behind Fleury. I don't want to see Despres scratched once Maatta comes back but Johnston & Agnew need to monitor his minutes and Scuderi seems to be a good partner. The problem is where does this leave Bortuzzo?

very funny. you're hilarious

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Gordie's goal is to get a reaction out of people. I don't see how anyone can read his comments and take them seriously. His responses are so obvious I'm surprised he hasn't been infracted yet.

Shame on any of you for even responding.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Gordie's goal is to get a reaction out of people. I don't see how anyone can read his comments and take them seriously. His responses are so obvious I'm surprised he hasn't been infracted yet.

you're saying it's not the height of cleverness? i'm shocked, i tell you

wopper

Jan 12, 2009

I don't think he's trying to get a rise out of people.. I think he believes it. I think Mr. Jigglypuff has the right responses, though.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
It's a refreshing change from what we've been used to. MJ sounds like he knows exactly what he wants to do in situation A, B, and C. He also sounds like, during his interviews, that he is trying to educate the reporter and people listening at home.

Might not agree with everything he does, but I can understand what he's doing and the real test is how he handles the playoffs.

The whole Bylsma era I ignored anytime a mic was in front of him because it was going to be nothing but silence, clichés, question dodging, and refusing to acknowledge mistakes and shortcomings. A complete 180 now with MJ. I actually enjoy listening to him.

This!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That goes beyond Johnston, even Tocchet and Agnew are unusually detailed compared to what we're used to and what other coaching staffs around the league are like. Now, some coaches probably just give ****** answers so as not to aid their opponent, but others like Boudreau and Bylsma, we've seen first hand that they don't have anything constructive to say even behind closed doors. Doesn't mean they're bad coaches, but it is a limitation on their ability to teach and convey their point.

So basically what I'm saying is regardless of how this Johnston-era turns out I think we have one of the smartest and most eclectic coaching staffs in the league.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

But see it's not pretty much the same as Bylsma's. Despres wouldn't be playing every game if Bylsma was here. Pouliot sure as hell wouldn't have played as much as he did. Scuderi would be on the second pairing (one could argue Johnston overplays him, but it's still the "3rd" pair). Downie wouldn't even be here and if he was, he would have been benched after a few games. Kunitz wouldn't have been on the 3rd line. I could go on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad