Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish: Bombulie ‎to restore order @ the Trib(II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Surprised the Sam Ventura hire didn't have it's own thread. Pretty big get by the Pens imo. Some other team would've snatched him up soon and i'm glad the Pens recognized and jumped on him first.

This also keeps the dude away from other clubs. Any bets on how long before war-on-ice.com turns into a spinning Pens logo?

Sam and the other dude that run War-on-ice had plans in place for the site to continue on when they eventually got picked up by NHL clubs.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This also keeps the dude away from other clubs. Any bets on how long before war-on-ice.com turns into a spinning Pens logo?
He said a while back that if he is hired by a team, the site will continue on unmolested. I'll see if I can dig up the article.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I think this is the one you're looking for. Sam already tweeted about the site though.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/8466598-74/thomas-hockey-ventura#axzz3ge8fsJGO
Yeah that's it.

One thing that separates those at war-on-ice from Metcalf or Dellow is they want their work to live on long after they take the next, expected step of working for an NHL team. Both realize it's possible, but war-on-ice isn't going anywhere, Thomas insisted.

“When people take down their work, as an academic, that bothers me,†Thomas said. “They shared it to all … and I know it's their right to take it back … but if it's also being shaped by the community — user posts, discussions that came about because of it — that bothers me when that is no longer accessible.

“We're taking all the measures now, with the sharing of data publicly, that we're going to keep that ethos that someone else can pick up where we left off, as long as they want to pay the bills.â€

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Surprised the Sam Ventura hire didn't have it's own thread. Pretty big get by the Pens imo. Some other team would've snatched him up soon and i'm glad the Pens recognized and jumped on him first.

Sam and the other dude that run War-on-ice had plans in place for the site to continue on when they eventually got picked up by NHL clubs.

There are already hints at how the site will go in the Trib article. I'm sure it may still be available, but wouldn't be at all surprised if the data gets stale, nothing new gets added, etc etc. Bottom line, the juiciest stuff is going to stay in the org.

As it should be!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I've never heard of the guy or the website. I feel like an old codger.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I saw him getting attacked by some twitter feminist yesterday. Nobody deserves that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I saw him getting attacked by some twitter feminist yesterday. Nobody deserves that.

He was complaining about something the Pens new hire did in the past. Probably slammed some dumbass story he wrote.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
She blocked me for asking "who is she?" but doesn't block the guy that sends her vile abuse so that she can screencap and repost it.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I just don't see how analytics will work in hockey the way that it does in baseball. Baseball is real simple, it's batter vs pitcher. In hockey, there are way too many factors that are opinion rather than fact.

Was shot 1 a quality shot? Did a bad pass effect it's accuracy? Was the player coached to play out of position? Was the player interfered with before taking the shot?

Once anyone starts to answer the questions above to help with their data mining they are no longer using statistical data, they are forming an opinion formed from what they see. I call BS and I call it loudly.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yeah, everyone involved in that twitter spat just needs to shut the **** up. None of them are right, they're all wrong.

But it's fun to watch. Quick, someone tweet Dejan about Despres being slower than LJ or that you just need to "watch" BB.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
yohe sounding literally as smug as possible while telling someone else not to be so smug

his tweets read like donald trump

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
bombulie has added more to the conversation around the penguins during his short time at the trib than yohe ever did

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
and yohe having some expectation of professional courtesy is absurd on its face when you consider that while he may be a paid journalist the guy doing the fact checking on the time wasnt. imagine being so bad/lazy at doing a job you are paid to do that a fan within a few minutes can blow up your entire narrative, but still feeling like the aggrieved party.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Toni something? If it's who I'm thinking of, that person needs to be institutionalized. Six months ago, she got about 20 of her goons to try and get him fired over referring to his wife and kids as "his" wife and "his" kids to give you some idea of how insane she is.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I just don't see how analytics will work in hockey the way that it does in baseball. Baseball is real simple, it's batter vs pitcher. In hockey, there are way too many factors that are opinion rather than fact.

Was shot 1 a quality shot? Did a bad pass effect it's accuracy? Was the player coached to play out of position? Was the player interfered with before taking the shot?

Once anyone starts to answer the questions above to help with their data mining they are no longer using statistical data, they are forming an opinion formed from what they see. I call BS and I call it loudly.

You're not wrong that analytics mean less in hockey. Baseball has discrete end points with manageable levels of data between them (pitcher of blank handedness throws pitch type A to area B to batter of blank handedness when the count is whatever the count is).

With hockey, a bad turn up ice can lead to a player shooting a puck in his own net 15 seconds later. I could tie the one to the other with video, but not with math.

Analytics are not useless, though, and they're only going to get better now that the NHL is experimenting with chips in jerseys.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

Opinions similar to yours is why the Pens are in so much long term trouble to begin with. Analytics is a process of using available data to help determine what is the best decision to make. It knows no bounds and can be applied to ANYTHING you do or decide on. Just because your "brain" cannot figure out how to apply it to NHL hockey operations, doesn't mean that there aren't 100s (most likely 1000s) of other people out there who can. This entire subject has been developing specifically in the NHL over the last 10 years, but you still can't understand it's usefulness?

The only thing you are "calling out loudly" is stating how little you actually understand about the game.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yohe telling someone they "don't know everything" is hilarious.

The analytics guy is actually in the wrong, here. Not about Kane, but about Yohe being wrong. If memory serves, what he said was "The Penguins feel (whatever he said) about Kane." If he's reporting what the Penguins said they feel, he can't be wrong about Kane unless he fabricated or falsified the contents of the paraphrase.

The analytics guy's actual problem would be with his new employer.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The analytics guy is actually in the wrong, here. Not about Kane, but about Yohe being wrong. If memory serves, what he said was "The Penguins feel (whatever he said) about Kane." If he's reporting what the Penguins said they feel, he can't be wrong about Kane unless he fabricated or falsified the contents of the paraphrase.

The analytics guy's actual problem would be with his new employer.

He actually said that either 1) The pens don't know what they're talking about or 2) Yohe made up the quote from "a number of sources"

I believe his statement is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad