Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish: Bombulie ‎to restore order @ the Trib(II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think it's stupid to say that though. The Pens might be paying Kessel less, but Kessel is making 8 million. That doesn't change. Kesler is worth every penny of that 6.8 in a world where Kane and Toews are making 10.5. The guy is a monster.

A monster in the sense that he's a guy that produces on his own, is a one man army that is a solid 2-way player. He is the worst at using his linemates. Unless you give him 2 very good playmakers, he's only going to produce himself, he doesn't elevate his linemates at all.

Which is what you will hear from Canucks fans as well when they get over the bad taste of Kesler gone.

He's like Sutter in that sense, except Sutter doesn't generate offense enough on his own, Kesler does, but neither really make their linemates any better, they need better ones to help them.

So yeah, I think Kessel is worth every penny of his discounted contract thanks to the Leafs eating a bit, Kessel? Not so much, watch him more often. I used to be a big fan until I paid closer attention and yeah...

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Is he intentionally flipping RW and LW? Or does he really not know which players play which side? Because he does it on defense too, with a RD listed on the LD side and LD on the RD side.

Honestly, if you don't know anything about a team, you shouldn't write about them. Period.

Well, to be fair, if he did do his homework, he probably did notice the large number of times the pens played guys opposite where they normally played the rest of their careers and just figured it was a trend that was going to grow... I mean there were stretches where they were shuffling guys so much it may have taken them bringing Crosby out as the goalie to surprise me....

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Good for him. Met him at the analytics conference at CMU last year. Really nice kid.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
A monster in the sense that he's a guy that produces on his own, is a one man army that is a solid 2-way player. He is the worst at using his linemates. Unless you give him 2 very good playmakers, he's only going to produce himself, he doesn't elevate his linemates at all.

Which is what you will hear from Canucks fans as well when they get over the bad taste of Kesler gone.

He's like Sutter in that sense, except Sutter doesn't generate offense enough on his own, Kesler does, but neither really make their linemates any better, they need better ones to help them.

So yeah, I think Kessel is worth every penny of his discounted contract thanks to the Leafs eating a bit, Kessel? Not so much, watch him more often. I used to be a big fan until I paid closer attention and yeah...

Jakob Silfverberg's stat lines complete dispel this assumption. Kesler is a great player and in only three of his eleven years have his goal totals been higher than his assist totals.

He is nothing like Sutter, because Kesler is actually one of the premier defensive players in the game, actually throws his body around, rarely loses board battles, and is worth every penny of that contract for at least the next two or three years. It's the other years that are the issue, but the Ducks are trying to win a cup, so why not.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I think with the pirates being relevant the penguins are once again low man on the totem pole. Any.causal or bandwagon interest in the team is long gone.

What have the Pirates won? Anything of note?? Saw a girl come out of a drug store the other day wearing a Phil Kessel shirt. Stop trying to smear the franchise because your favorite player was traded to the Anaheim Ducks. ;)

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/8786885-85/karmanos-ventura-penguins#axzz3gdfA8AZz

His first move should be to print out Sutters advanced stats and send them to GMJR's office

It's a good hire from the standpoint of adding a new school hockey mind but I'm sure they already know Sutter's advanced stats and I'm sure they've already shopped him partially because of advanced stats performance and mostly because he only has one year left on his deal and they don't want to lose him for nothing next summer. The problem seems to be they haven't found a taker for him or at least not one willing to part with anything of actual value for him. Seems/feels like they're stuck right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad