Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish: Bombulie ‎to restore order @ the Trib(II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Continue.

What I was responding to before shut down for post count.

The Forsberg pick was inexcusable, it's as simple as that. I'm not even going to bother arguing that one. I'm happy with Pouliot, but there was no excuse to pick him over Forsberg. Forsberg was rated higher was was a consensus top-3 pick almost everywhere.

At the time of the draft, Saad was rated lower than Morrow. I really don't understand how you can be upset with us taking Morrow over Saad. If Saad weren't from Pittsburgh, people wouldn't be so pissed about it. The Forsberg pick was much worse than the Saad pick at the time.

The point however it should be made, at the time of those drafts, the Pens D-corps were not a put first need.

You can justify their status as BPA, but the Pens were in a BPONA (best player of need available). Shero put value of trade chips over the value of teams actual needs.

Letang
Martin
Michalek
Orpik
Goligoski = Neal/Niskanen
Lovejoy
Engelland
Niskanen
Despres
Bortuzzo

Minus Goligoski and the addition of Morrow that list doesn't change much the fallowing year, and this is just abuse of the Pens needs. At the time, mind you.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
It completely sucks that we didn't draft Saad. But there's no way he'd be the same player he is for the Hawks if we drafted him. We would of completely wrecked his development the last few years, he'd probably have 60 games max under his belt and would be in and out of the lineup playing next for Craig Adams last season just like Bennett.

Who doesn't believe that? Our player development is just as bad as our drafting.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Shady Machine said:
Honestly, I trust Saad's dad more than DK. For all of the criticism we give to Shero, and most of it is deserved, he seemed to be an honest man. If he told Brandon's dad they would pick him if he was available, I believe that was his intent at the time. Now, maybe his intent changed based on input from his scouts, but I don't think Shero would lie to his face.

DK's increasingly a conduit for the organization, but he's not a liar. If he makes some bold statement, you can take the quotes out of his mouth and put them on Guerin, EJ, Morehouse, Tom McMillan, Burkle (etc). Doesn't make them true, but it does make Kovacevic not the party that's doing the lying.

Shero is definitely a liar. Comes with the job. It's how he leveraged more out of JR in the Staal trade. Set up a trade that he never would have pulled the trigger on with Glenn Sather and took the empty threat of a Staal reunion in New York back to Rutherford as leverage to get Sutter included in the deal. All GMs are liars in all sports. Look at all the manure that Huntingdon shovels.

It completely sucks that we didn't draft Saad. But there's no way he'd be the same player he is for the Hawks if we drafted him. We would of completely wrecked his development the last few years, he'd probably have 60 games max under his belt and would be in and out of the lineup playing next for Craig Adams last season just like Bennett.

Who doesn't believe that? Our player development is just as bad as our drafting.

How would you know this? The last forward we drafted on Saad's level was Staal and we developed him just fine.

Development is important, but it doesn't determine who is Saad and who is Bennett. The tools at the player's disposal do.

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

Saad-Adams-Bennett :nod:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I long for the days where we spent our time talking about hockey, not this **** show management team / organization

But alas, #PenguinsFanProblems

I now know how Leafs fan feel

Last edited:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
How would you know this? The last forward we drafted on Saad's level was Staal and we developed him just fine.

Development is important, but it doesn't determine who is Saad and who is Bennett. The tools at the player's disposal do.

Wow. We developed a 2nd overall pick just fine. We should definitely get a gold star for that one. What about all of the quality defensemen we drafted? Where are they at? Most have either busted or are flourishing on other teams now.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

Regardless of whether that's true it doesn't really matter

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Wow. We developed a 2nd overall pick just fine. We should definitely get a gold star for that one. What about all of the quality defensemen we drafted? Where are they at? Most have either busted or are flourishing on other teams now.

Theses are drafting and asset-management issues, not development issues.

Morrow spent one year in our system, one year in Dallas' and two in Boston's. Those clubs haven't managed to make anything out of him, either, despite more time spent with him. Boston has developed 3 D in that time. None of them were Morrow. He was a bad pick. Hynes didn't ruin him.

Brian Strait and Robert Bortuzzo did develop. Into 7s, which is all they were ever projected to be.

Simon Despres did develop. That we traded him for a 31 year old journeyman is an asset-management issue, not a development issue.

You'll note the lack of forwards. This is because the guys we who have been through here weren't any good. Thinking that Jeffrey or Johnson washed out due to something John Hynes or Dan Bylsma did is fantasy. They couldn't skate. We can't wish hard enough for them to be able to do that and expect it to happen.

Last edited:

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
DK requested to follow me on tweet bug, I allowed it. Now I have to decide if I want to throw some Despres love in his face.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
The fact that the team tends to play well when decimated by injuries suggests that player development is pretty decent here. Those callups wouldn't perform so well, and John Hynes wouldn't have the reputation he does, if the Pens' player development was bad.

The only question is whether or not the players can actually hack it at the NHL level long-term. There's only one or two cases where players who actually could were not given appropriate opportunities. Despres most obviously. Bennett maybe, but she should have spent two if not three full years with WBS.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The fact that the team tends to play well when decimated by injuries suggests that player development is pretty decent here. Those callups wouldn't perform so well, and John Hynes wouldn't have the reputation he does, if the Pens' player development was bad.

The only question is whether or not the players can actually hack it at the NHL level long-term. There's only one or two cases where players who actually could were not given appropriate opportunities. Despres most obviously. Bennett maybe, but she should have spent two if not three full years with WBS.

With the injuries I think a lot of the decision making is forced.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think our farm team is and has been excellent for a while. A good mix of vets & prospects, great coaching staff(s), and a willingness to play young guys in all situations (but not force-feeding them either). If we sort out our drafting and actually start playing kids in the NHL we'd be golden.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think our farm team is and has been excellent for a while. A good mix of vets & prospects, great coaching staff(s), and a willingness to play young guys in all situations (but not force-feeding them either). If we sort out our drafting and actually start playing kids in the NHL we'd be golden.

Just recently there has been more of a balance though, usually it's some defense prospects and some goalie prospects coming in and now we're seeing more offense coming in. So if Hynes goes, I really hope they find someone that is very good at developing forwards as I think Nasreddine seems to be doing a pretty good job holding down the fort with the Defense kids.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
DK's increasingly a conduit for the organization, but he's not a liar. If he makes some bold statement, you can take the quotes out of his mouth and put them on Guerin, EJ, Morehouse, Tom McMillan, Burkle (etc). Doesn't make them true, but it does make Kovacevic not the party that's doing the lying.

Shero is definitely a liar. Comes with the job. It's how he leveraged more out of JR in the Staal trade. Set up a trade that he never would have pulled the trigger on with Glenn Sather and took the empty threat of a Staal reunion in New York back to Rutherford as leverage to get Sutter included in the deal. All GMs are liars in all sports. Look at all the manure that Huntingdon shovels.

I get lying to other GM's but what good does it do to invite the father of a top prospect to your office and lie to him that you will draft his son if available?

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
So if Shero really did have the final word, as per DK, then he lied twice to Saad's Dad, first about Brandon being picked and then about the scouts over-ruling him....?

Either that, or the scouts really do get to trump the GM.

Clown show.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't really think this whole Saad thing is worth talking about. Our organization is stupid, full of liars, or both. Either way, we ****ed up and passed on a no-brainer who turned out to be a stud.

I wouldn't put much faith in a single word DK writes anyway. The dude's a schmuck looking for clicks on his site. You think it's beyond him to fabricate a story like this? After the shadowy, mysterious "Despres off-ice issues" thing? C'mon. DK's a ********, just like every other sports "writer" in Pittsburgh.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This Saad business is just more DK smokescreen to the incompetence that is the current Pens front office. He's working without a net and he knows who butters his bread.

That said, I fully believe that Shero would lie to a Pittsburgh area prospect's dad about drafting him if available (I'm quite sure most GMs would blow similar smoke in that situation), and I also fully believe that he picked Morrow because he wanted another PMD at the draft.

That shouldn't be our focus right now, and doing so turns discussion exactly the way the organization wants it...away from its present stupidity.

Again:

"You think the Despres trade and Rutherford literally not knowing how to do his job is bad, just think about Saad!"

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
For someone who wants to turn our attention away from the Despres idiocy, DK sure Tweets about about it totally unprovoked really often. Like daily.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
He's got Yohe on it now too.
Anyway don't disagree he wants to protect the organization.
The Despres BS is 1000pct his ego.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011

I'm trying very hard to find the evidence , dk is full of it. I know for fact the last hawks cup run dk was on madden or pens radio network and said to the t. He was at the Saad draft near the floor and said shero was leaning towards saad, however scouts questioned his toughness. He then went on to rant about that irony because basically the pens were soft how could this kid be softer. Now shero's gone he has a different stance. 1 of them was a lie obviously. I called him out on it on twitter he blocked me without reply. Cmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad