Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Salary Cap Thread: Can you spare me three-fiddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This is why I'm Negative Ned around here when it comes to our prospects. I just can't share the enthusiasm over the fact our #1 prospect might end up being on par with McGinn. When your *best* prospect projects to replace one of your middle six wingers and score 15 or so goals in a season, you know your pool is shit.
Honestly, I think our best prospects are probably the goalies. Both in terms of upside as well as odds of being impact NHLers. That's not great. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is why I'm Negative Ned around here when it comes to our prospects. I just can't share the enthusiasm over the fact our #1 prospect might end up being on par with McGinn. When your *best* prospect projects to replace one of your middle six wingers and score 15 or so goals in a season, you know your pool is shit.

I don't think that is fair. Poulin, Legare and Big Puusy could all project as top six guys.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I definitely don't get very excited about anyone in this pool. That's for sure.

But I still think there is bound to be some help, there. Maybe the kind of players you surround a handful of REAL prospects with in whatever the next core is.

That isn't exactly inspiring but it isn't nothing, either.

I guess it's also worth pointing out that nobody thought much of Guentzel and Rust while they were prospects.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
That's kinda why I thought Hallander might end up being the best of the forwards. Not because he'll be some game changer or anything, but because his skillset and style may translate better than the others. You can always use a guy who can skate well, goes to the net and plays a solid all-around game while being capable of playing either wing.

The guy I'm most negative about following camp/pre-season/whatever AHL and NHL games I've seen this season is POJ. Dude looks like garbage, and he was supposed to take a pretty significant step this season.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I definitely don't get very excited about anyone in this pool. That's for sure.

But I still think there is bound to be some help, there. Maybe the kind of players you surround a handful of REAL prospects with in whatever the next core is.

That isn't exactly inspiring but it isn't nothing, either.

I guess it's also worth pointing out that nobody thought much of Guentzel and Rust while they were prospects.

I think the big thing people are having difficulty with when assessing our prospects is the Penguins previously hit up the NCAA hardddd. So by the time Rust and Guentzel were hitting the AHL they were 22 and didn't have to deal with two years of COVID in their post draft development years.

Let's give Poulin and Legare two years before we start talking about them being busts. I could easily see one of these two setting up nicely in our roster next year with their size and hands if we use them correctly.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The guy I'm most negative about following camp/pre-season/whatever AHL and NHL games I've seen this season is POJ. Dude looks like garbage, and he was supposed to take a pretty significant step this season.

Same. We were supposed to get Petts but $3M cheaper to spend on other stuff.

Instead he is not NHL ready and maybe will never be. And now we need all the $4-5M crew...our next real options are Friedman and Riiks.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think that is fair. Poulin, Legare and Big Puusy could all project as top six guys.

If they reach their max ceiling. I'm talking in terms of realistic projections.

For instance, a guy like Sprong's max ceiling if everything went right is probably a 30 goal scorer. But his realistic ceiling when you factor in his flaws is roughly what he is -- a guy who can maybe score 20-ish goals, but who'll also wear out his welcome because of the other parts of his game.

I also think the problem is even if they're "top six wingers", that still doesn't make me excited all that much because we need more prospects who project to become elite level players (or at least legit top line guys), not guys who'll score you 50 points in a good year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

For instance, a guy like Sprong's max ceiling if everything went right is probably a 30 goal scorer. But his realistic ceiling when you factor in his flaws is roughly what he is -- a guy who can maybe score 20-ish goals, but who'll also wear out his welcome because of the other parts of his game.

I also think the problem is even if they're "top six wingers", that still doesn't make me excited all that much because we need more prospects who project to become elite level players (or at least legit top line guys), not guys who'll score you 50 points in a good year.

Poulin was projected to be a legit 1st line talent if he hit his max ceiling.

The rarity of getting elite talent with our type of draft picks is incredible.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's kinda why I thought Hallander might end up being the best of the forwards. Not because he'll be some game changer or anything, but because his skillset and style may translate better than the others. You can always use a guy who can skate well, goes to the net and plays a solid all-around game while being capable of playing either wing.

I feel like the Penguins have a lot of forwards like that. And intentionally draft and develop that way. I have to wonder how much magic juice is squeezed out of them sometimes going that route but then again I don't think this prospect pool has anyone with significant offensive headroom, anyway. So whatever. Regardless you're right that having some guys like that marinating is always handy because they can more easily transition to an NHL roster playing that style of game and contribute right away. Now if only they'd actually get some ice time...

Also agreed on POJ for selfish reasons. It would have been nice to clear a little salary on the backend and plug in a competent looking youngster, instead. Whoops.

Although at least right now the D is looking pretty good. Just a bit pricey for the skillsets involved.

I think the big thing people are having difficulty with when assessing our prospects is the Penguins previously hit up the NCAA hardddd. So by the time Rust and Guentzel were hitting the AHL they were 22 and didn't have to deal with two years of COVID in their post draft development years.

Let's give Poulin and Legare two years before we start talking about them being busts. I could easily see one of these two setting up nicely in our roster next year with their size and hands if we use them correctly.

Yeah I always liked going the NCAA route not just because guys there traditionally aren't afraid to develop puck skills and offensive touch a bit more but as you mentioned because of that extra "free" development time. It can be a little tiresome waiting around for them to get to the pro ranks but it's usually worth it.

Having said that yeah... perhaps more patience with the juniors players is warranted. Though from what I've seen my gut tells me Poulin isn't really going anywhere and Legare might actually be the gem out of the two if there is one. Both longshots for a scoring line IMO. Though that doesn't make them useless. Also my gut can largely f*** off and has lied to me many times before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

So lottery picks then.We dont suck enough yet to get those.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Poulin has 6 points in 18 games and Legare has 5 points in 17 games this year in the AHL and you think one of those two is going to be ready to play in the NHL next year?

Reactions: spcastlemagic

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
giphy.gif

Salary Cap: - Pittsburgh Salary Cap Thread: All I want for Christmas is a roster who has cares to give

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad