Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Salary Cap Thread: Can you spare me three-fiddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
For a pending UFA? Ewww, no. Gross.
Best player in the league, sure. But every Cup-winning team has at least one (usually more) top draft picks. Crosby/Malkin/MAF, Toews/Kane, Kopitar, Ovechkin/Backstrom, Stamkos/Hedman. I think St. Louis is an exception and perhaps Boston in 2011 but I can't remember all of their picks off the top of my head sans Seguin at 2OV.

High quality tops picks and hot goaltending are drivers of success for winning Cups.

A 1st, a player who is worth less on the ice than what he is getting paid, and a prospect heading to bustville for one of the better forwards in the league? Ew gross?

And it ain't like we aren't capable of re-signing Forsberg. We could definitely make the cap work.

But all of this is a moot point if the team doesn't pick it up. If we look like an outside-looking-in team ourselves I feel no urgency in urgrading anything.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It would never ever happen but I'd gladly offer that package and more for Forsberg.

Don't care much about a single first at least right now. I agree with Doc that Poulin looks... questionable. Though of course it's still early. Regardless he is not a marquee prospect. And Zucker lol... come on.

Problem is exactly what pixies is saying -- that would be matched and thensome by another team IMO.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It would never ever happen but I'd gladly offer that package and more for Forsberg.

Don't care much about a single first at least right now. I agree with Doc that Poulin looks... questionable. Though of course it's still early. Regardless he is not a marquee prospect. And Zucker lol... come on.

Problem is exactly what pixies is saying -- that would be matched and thensome by another team IMO.

I just don't see the point of trading a 1st and Poulin for a rental. Makes no sense at this point in our trajectory.

Reactions: Peat

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hughes is getting 8x8 on his deal.

Malkin at 9.25 is getting underpaid if Hughes is making 8x8. Not to mention the plethora of other average centers making mediocre money.
But Hughes plays in more than 45 games a season. When you factor in games missed, Geno makes more like $18 mill per season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I just don't see the point of trading a 1st and Poulin for a rental. Makes no sense at this point in our trajectory.

Doesn't have to be a rental. You said yourself the last time this team injected some youth it had an impact. I figure next season they should start that process.

Rust, Zucker, ZAR and Dumo out. Forsberg and the youth movement in. Come on... it could blow up in their faces but the hell with it at this point!

It's the ERod Era™ innit?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Doesn't have to be a rental. You said yourself the last time this team injected some youth it had an impact. I figure next season they should start that process.

Rust, Zucker, ZAR and Dumo out. Forsberg and the youth movement in. Come on... it could blow up in their faces but the hell with it at this point!

It's the ERod Era™ innit?

But Forsberg is a UFA.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see all of those players out next year at all.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's sad that ERod being a late bloomer, at this point, is a more likely path to an impact player than our forward prospect pool.

But hey, 3 Cups. Flags fly forever.

Yeah. I guess to be fair they've had very few kicks at the first round can in the JR era. And at least Kap sorta kinda panned out.

What's gonna make it even worse is when ERod inevitably levels off to his mostly-norm.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah. I guess to be fair they've had very few kicks at the first round can in the JR era. And at least Kap sorta kinda panned out.

What's gonna make it even worse is when ERod inevitably levels off to his mostly-norm.

I don't know if it's a leveling off thing with ERod.

It's more like, at his maximum effectiveness he is driving a line. But a line driven by ERod should only be employed if you have no better options (e.g., through injury). He would be best suited to being the best player on the X-Gen Pens or something like that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know if it's a leveling off thing with ERod.

It's more like, at his maximum effectiveness he is driving a line. But a line driven by ERod should only be employed if you have no better options (e.g., through injury). He would be best suited to being the best player on the X-Gen Pens or something like that.

Yep.

I know some will get bristly over this but frankly if ERod is your best forward you have problems. Maybe big problems.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yep.

I know some will get bristly over this but frankly if ERod is your best forward you have problems. Maybe big problems.

Same crowd that dissed McCann last two years will be pissed we didn’t resign Rodrigues when he goes and tears it up somewhere next year.

He’s always been a great analytical forward and IMO the eye test has matched up here and in Buffalo.

Reactions: Night Shift

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Same crowd that dissed McCann last two years will be pissed we didn’t resign Rodrigues when he goes and tears it up somewhere next year.

He’s always been a great analytical forward and IMO the eye test has matched up here and in Buffalo.

I like ERod just fine. But his success here so far this year isn't really an indication of him breaking out into this new level but moreso a commentary on what a bunch of pathetic, mismatched, poorly assembled sloths this team's forward group is. So far.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I like ERod just fine. But his success here so far this year isn't really an indication of him breaking out into this new level but moreso a commentary on what a bunch of pathetic, mismatched, poorly assembled sloths this team's forward group is. So far.

He’s doing exactly what McCann did. Taking advantage of top six minutes when the big guys are down.

He’s a great bottom six guy at his cap hit just like McCann. The idea of him being anything else is exactly what you are talking about.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Cost controlled high quality top picks.

Yes and no. Depends what you mean by "cost controlled". The majority of those high picks were not on ELCs when they won. A couple had great value contracts, sure.

2 Stanley Cup Finals and an Eastern Conference Final versus 2 Stanley Cup Finals and a bunch of 1st round exits works for me.

Especially considering his impact contract wise and draft wise on those 2 Stanley Cup Finals teams.

A lot better than the crop of superstars that have come since and what they did in the playoffs.

I would say the primary difference in that would be Sid+Geno+Letang in their prime vs "late prime, early twilight". Imagine if when JR took over, if Sid and Geno were 23, not 28.

A 1st, a player who is worth less on the ice than what he is getting paid, and a prospect heading to bustville for one of the better forwards in the league? Ew gross?

And it ain't like we aren't capable of re-signing Forsberg. We could definitely make the cap work.

But all of this is a moot point if the team doesn't pick it up. If we look like an outside-looking-in team ourselves I feel no urgency in urgrading anything.

If there is a contract extension pre-negotiated and in place, that's one thing.

Zucker+Poulin+1st for UFA Forsberg is an asinine overpayment, absolutely regardless about how one currently feels about Zucker. Name any similar trade in the past where a UFA wing got that return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg