Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Salary Cap Thread: Can you spare me three-fiddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He’s doing exactly what McCann did. Taking advantage of top six minutes when the big guys are down.

He’s a great bottom six guy at his cap hit just like McCann. The idea of him being anything else is exactly what you are talking about.

I think the waters are getting muddy, here. I liked the signing, am stoked he's playing well and stepping up and am more than fine with what happened to McCann. I'm just saying that when ERod is your best forward and the only guy out is Geno then that's probably not a super great commentary on guys like Rust, Kap, Zucker, etc and to a lesser extent your pipeline as Doc pointed out. I don't lose sleep over it and in fact think it's kind of funny. How could it not be? The like 1M dollar afterthought guy is currently the offensive pillar of the team -- high comedy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think the waters are getting muddy, here. I liked the signing, am stoked he's playing well and stepping up and am more than fine with what happened to McCann. I'm just saying that when ERod is your best forward and the only guy out is Geno then that's probably not a super great commentary on guys like Rust, Kap, Zucker, etc and to a lesser extent your pipeline as Doc pointed out. I don't lose sleep over it and in fact think it's kind of funny. How could it not be? The like 1M dollar afterthought guy is currently the offensive pillar of the team -- high comedy.

Zucker is really the only player underachieving out of the top six wing group IMO. Kapanen is producing greatly despite the eye test being off. Rust has 11 points in 12 games largely coming without Sid. Rodrigues has benefited from being in the top six and top Powerplay ala McCann.

Reactions: Peat

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
E-Rod's great, but his water level's eventually gonna come back down to normal. He's having a career year so far, but he's not a near-PPG player.

As for Poulin, he's as meh as the rest of the group of meh. The only reason anybody's excited about any of these guys is because our prospect pool is total garbage and anything sorta resembling a talented, promising player is a guy people latch on to. It's Tangradi and Caputi all over again. :laugh: Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I don't expect much out of any of these guys. Maybe a middle-6 guy here or there. In most other prospect pools, these guys wouldn't really even be on the radar.

I've got no attachment to any prospect. I'd like to hang on to 1sts moving forward, but that only really becomes a necessity once the rebuild genuinely begins. If we can move a 1st for someone young enough to be around and in their prime in like 5 years or something, go for it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
E-Rod's great, but his water level's eventually gonna come back down to normal. He's having a career year so far, but he's not a near-PPG player.

As for Poulin, he's as meh as the rest of the group of meh. The only reason anybody's excited about any of these guys is because our prospect pool is total garbage and anything sorta resembling a talented, promising player is a guy people latch on to. It's Tangradi and Caputi all over again. :laugh: Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I don't expect much out of any of these guys. Maybe a middle-6 guy here or there. In most other prospect pools, these guys wouldn't really even be on the radar.

I've got no attachment to any prospect. I'd like to hang on to 1sts moving forward, but that only really becomes a necessity once the rebuild genuinely begins. If we can move a 1st for someone young enough to be around and in their prime in like 5 years or something, go for it.

Kinda like Rust, Kuhnhackl and Blueger in 2015 eh?

Hell, look at Jarry in 2015 versus where he is now. This viewing of prospects busting after less than 20 games in the AHL is a pathetic new low here.

DOC was nothing special last year in the NHL. Look at what he did this year. These are young players and we have a decent enough group where one or two could easily pop as a 35-50 pt guy on the cheap. That is really all this roster needs.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Was just cruisin twitter...Tuuka Rask. Seems like he has interest in coming back. Would be at a pro-rated deal. Wonder if he would be a viable option to platoon with Jarry?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I think they have some players in the system.

But they are almost all certainly complimentary or depth pieces. Things you need to build a team and add depth but unless they get really lucky/good with a guy like Big Puusy or something it kinda is what it is.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If there is a contract extension pre-negotiated and in place, that's one thing.

Zucker+Poulin+1st for UFA Forsberg is an asinine overpayment, absolutely regardless about how one currently feels about Zucker. Name any similar trade in the past where a UFA wing got that return.

Pageau got a 1st and 2nd. Poulin isn't really worth more than a second.

And before you go "akshually he is a center" please remember you were just participating in the "LOL Ray Shero didn't think wingers were important" Circle of Jerkeration.

Zucker has no and/or negative value at $5.5M. At $3M I wouldn't want to lose him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Guessing we give the Zucker package: Zucker himself, Poulin and a 1st. Maybe Petts has raised his value enough and/or we get some sort of 3 team deal with Dumo to offset the acquisition cost.

Tired of throwing away future assets, but I want Forsberg and I suspect Poulin is going to bust anyway.

I think Poulin could become a solid middle sixer, but his development path doesn't line up with our core.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think they have some players in the system.

But they are almost all certainly complimentary or depth pieces. Things you need to build a team and add depth but unless they get really lucky/good with a guy like Big Puusy or something it kinda is what it is.
Maybe, we'll see. I smell a whole lot of Tangradi-scented shit in the prospect cupboard. :laugh:

None of these prospects matter imo, and until we really start to suck and rake in the top-5 or top-10 picks, I would be fine moving a 1st and/or 2nd to try and grab some younger pieces that'll be around for the long haul.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Maybe, we'll see. I smell a whole lot of Tangradi-scented shit in the prospect cupboard. :laugh:

None of these prospects matter imo, and until we really start to suck and rake in the top-5 or top-10 picks, I would be fine moving a 1st and/or 2nd to try and grab some younger pieces that'll be around for the long haul.

Position rarely effects draft picks after the top 5 - 10 tbh. It is mostly development and our team has been fabulous at that despite the questionable usage the last few years.

Reactions: Peat

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Oh... there is. No doubt.

I'm just saying there will inevitably be a handful of useful depth or maybe even complimentary guys that can add that super desirable "cheap ELC" element to the NHL roster. And, to be serious, some young legs and fresh eyes. Hopefully with a new coach, too.

Also don't forget Tankov! My pet project that hasn't scored in like 10 games or whatever, now.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

It seems like whatever college free agents we grab are going to be better than these guys. Maybe because they sense it's a weak system and have a chance to move up.

Poulin himself didn't dominate in late juniors as a 20 year old, didn't make the WJC, and (though I barely bother looking at WB/S) isn't doing so hot there last I looked. At some point the guy has to pop in some way, somewhere, and he's just kinda performing acceptable wherever he goes.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sure. But, as I said Colorado, Edmonton, and Toronto can all put together much better packages.

The question is whether they would offer it.

Nashville fans are reasonably looking for a 2022 1st and a good prospect, because a prospect like Newhook likely isn't on the table.

We can do that, and then some.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, that wasn't the question but whatever.

The original post was:

"I mean, imagine McDavid here. That’s as likely as Forsberg."

It's not, or even close. And it's painfully easy to see why if people aren't being deliberately obtuse.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just don't see the point of trading a 1st and Poulin for a rental. Makes no sense at this point in our trajectory.

Our core only has so many contending years left and desperately needs a winger with Forsberg's skillset.

What part of that doesn't make sense?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
There are more than one comparable to Malkin that is a a 40-50 pt guy making 7 -8 million though.

I mean I'm just saying one guy is going to improve into a 9+ million player and the other is on a down swing most likely.

I think a good comparable if you want to use a hypothetical is ifMalkin is better and is going to come back from injury and play well.

Tomas Hertl. Yes he is younger but he is a top 30 centre.

Point signed for 9.5 and Barkov did 10. Is Malkin at 36 is he worth as much as Barkov or Point?

To be fair both players also don't have state tax so they may have taken a bit less as well.

EDIT: I want to add I am a fan of keeping the big 3 if possible. I just think a number around 8 million is fair.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Oh... there is. No doubt.

I'm just saying there will inevitably be a handful of useful depth or maybe even complimentary guys that can add that super desirable "cheap ELC" element to the NHL roster. And, to be serious, some young legs and fresh eyes. Hopefully with a new coach, too.

Also don't forget Tankov! My pet project that hasn't scored in like 10 games or whatever, now.
That's the biggest issue I have with Sully moving forward. I don't want him in charge of the development of the premiere picks we'll be making in the next chapter. I don't trust him at all to not try and coach everyone into being some shitty ZAR-clone.

It seems like whatever college free agents we grab are going to be better than these guys. Maybe because they sense it's a weak system and have a chance to move up.

Poulin himself didn't dominate in late juniors as a 20 year old, didn't make the WJC, and (though I barely bother looking at WB/S) isn't doing so hot there last I looked. At some point the guy has to pop in some way, somewhere, and he's just kinda performing acceptable wherever he goes.
From what I've seen of these guys--which isn't some super extensive, "what are you doing, go outside you dork" level of attention paid to nobody prospects, just camp/pre-season and a handful of AHL games this season--nobody really stands out.

Maybe we get some bottom-6 energy guys like DOC. Maybe we don't. I wouldn't be surprised either way--but I would be really surprised if any of these dudes turned out to be impact NHLers in a scoring line role.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
So question.

Evander Kane.

Ye or na.

Guy was the best shark last year and I know he brings a lot of baggage but... at 3.5 million and he knows how to shoot the puck.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pageau got a 1st and 2nd. Poulin isn't really worth more than a second.

And before you go "akshually he is a center" please remember you were just participating in the "LOL Ray Shero didn't think wingers were important" Circle of Jerkeration.

Zucker has no and/or negative value at $5.5M. At $3M I wouldn't want to lose him.

Literally, every sentence in this post is flat-out bizarre. I have no idea what to make of these in any sense of the word as a reply to what I said. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

So question.

Evander Kane.

Ye or na.

Guy was the best shark last year and I know he brings a lot of baggage but... at 3.5 million and he knows how to shoot the puck.

All about price. I like what he brings...including some of the attitude he brings. I think that roughness and snarl combined with goal-scoring ability is a glaring need for us, especially come playoff time. As Emp suggested, Zucker for Kane@50%...yes.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Literally, every sentence in this post is flat-out bizarre. I have no idea what to make of these in any sense of the word as a reply to what I said. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

You said a 1st + Poulin + Zucker (who you presume has value at his contract) was an insane package for a rental and in typical SEAL fashion asked for an example.

Pageau was a recent rental who garnered such a package. For that matter, so was Taylor Hall from NJD to ARI.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's the biggest issue I have with Sully moving forward. I don't want him in charge of the development of the premiere picks we'll be making in the next chapter. I don't trust him at all to not try and coach everyone into being some shitty ZAR-clone.

From what I've seen of these guys--which isn't some super extensive, "what are you doing, go outside you dork" level of attention paid to nobody prospects, just camp/pre-season and a handful of AHL games this season--nobody really stands out.

Maybe we get some bottom-6 energy guys like DOC. Maybe we don't. I wouldn't be surprised either way--but I would be really surprised if any of these dudes turned out to be impact NHLers in a scoring line role.

This is why I'm Negative Ned around here when it comes to our prospects. I just can't share the enthusiasm over the fact our #1 prospect might end up being on par with McGinn. When your *best* prospect projects to replace one of your middle six wingers and score 15 or so goals in a season, you know your pool is shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad