GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins vs Montreal Canadiens- 1/10/15 7:00pm EST CBC,TVA (HD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mynameismark*

lol wtf is that possible 4th line?

Hey check this out: we're gonna be momentum shifters and bring a whole lot of grit and toughness with these soft midgets...

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
lol wtf is that possible 4th line?

Hey check this out: we're gonna be momentum shifters and bring a whole lot of grit and toughness with these soft midgets...

yeah lol 4th line is supposed to be 3 goons who can't skate because that's how it was back in my days

go back to bed grampa.

Mynameismark*

yeah lol 4th line is supposed to be 3 goons who can't skate because that's how it was back in my days

go back to bed grampa.

Sorry lil man, but last year we had a pretty decent 4th and it was disbanded early by the coach....Weise-White-Prust.

A real 4th that CAN play and provide something different from the rest of the lines. Which is what most WINNING teams usually employ. That line was good, and it didnt hurt us.

You plug in an enforcer when and as needed. But you're one of those new school fans aint ya..I bet you just love analytics because that proves how good a team truly is.:laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Read it. Pure trash. This is what passes for Hockey logic and knowledge these days..:shakehead

Bournival is a SKILLED alternative?? He skates hard and forechecks...aside from that he's an offensive black hole with no finish. A tad overrated around these here parts.

Compared to your typical 4th liner yes Bournival is skilled.
Being a black hole means you suck the production away from your linemates, like in Bourque's case where we would see a difference in production from the guys he played with when he was removed from their line. So who has Bournival ''black holed''?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

The problem with the article's premise is it presumes the Habs can afford a 4th line on training-wheels. Creating a line of young, inexperienced players would leave us open to mistakes, which the opposition will pounce on like coyotes on a rabbit. Sure, everyone wants skill on the 4th line, but sacrificing responsible two-way play is a recipe for disaster. Most teams are too system-heavy to hand one line to rookies, no matter what their potential.

Ideally, we'd have enough youth and skill in our top-9 to keep Prust and Weise on the 4th. Bournival needs to develop his offense a little more to complement them; I could see him platooning with Malhotra.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Read it. Pure trash. This is what passes for Hockey logic and knowledge these days..:shakehead

Bournival is a SKILLED alternative?? He skates hard and forechecks...aside from that he's an offensive black hole with no finish. A tad overrated around these here parts.

I think Bournival's skill set is vastly underated. His hockey IQ is off the charts.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

I agree with you somewhat. Weise-White-Prust was a great fourth line. I love a line that can pin the other team in their zone and cause them fits. I loved Whitey too but he's not even in the NHL any more and while I agree with you on Bournival if you think he's a blackhole than what do you call Malhotra? Tangradi will never wear a habs uniform again so what do you suggest? I'd rather see a skilled line rather than one filled with goons however I do believe MB will be working the phone lines come trade deadline that much is for sure.

Mynameismark*

I agree with you somewhat. Weise-White-Prust was a great fourth line. I love a line that can pin the other team in their zone and cause them fits. I loved Whitey too but he's not even in the NHL any more and while I agree with you on Bournival if you think he's a blackhole than what do you call Malhotra? Tangradi will never wear a habs uniform again so what do you suggest? I'd rather see a skilled line rather than one filled with goons however I do believe MB will be working the phone lines come trade deadline that much is for sure.

I know Manny has no offense at all, but he at least usually helps us gain possession and can win important faceoffs as needed, especially in our own end. I would have kept White. He's not played this season though due to surgery.
I dont think Tangradi is the answer at all. There really is none at the moment.

One day we'll have some size mixed with skill on the team. Mccarron and the like. Hopefully this kid Nevins develops nicely, I like what he brings toughness wise. Crisp as well. I'm not saying you cant have skill on the 4th, but we already have enough small dudes in the top 9, that we cant be stacking the 4th with the same types as well.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
“Close to half of the team hasn’t played 300 games in the NHL,†coach Michel Therrien said. “(Our philosophy is) if we see that there’s a young guy that’s capable of playing, we’re going to find a way to make him play in the NHL.â€

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/c...fter-christian-thomas-called-up-from-hamilton

It's great to hear that the coaching staff is willing to give the younger guys more opportunities and responsibilities to play if they deserve it.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Hopefully the boys play better than last game.if we dont we will get crushed.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
The problem with the article's premise is it presumes the Habs can afford a 4th line on training-wheels. Creating a line of young, inexperienced players would leave us open to mistakes, which the opposition will pounce on like coyotes on a rabbit. Sure, everyone wants skill on the 4th line, but sacrificing responsible two-way play is a recipe for disaster. Most teams are too system-heavy to hand one line to rookies, no matter what their potential.

Ideally, we'd have enough youth and skill in our top-9 to keep Prust and Weise on the 4th. Bournival needs to develop his offense a little more to complement them; I could see him platooning with Malhotra.

It also brings up two examples of teams who have won cups with a skilled 4th line and leaves out the loads of other teams who have won the cup with a big, strong, "gritty" 4th line.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It's been a while since a Habs game was on CBC. Makes me very happy I don't have to suffer streaming TVA Spanre. Just hope the team shows up for a Saturday night special.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It's been a while since a Habs game was on CBC. Makes me very happy I don't have to suffer streaming TVA Spanre. Just hope the team shows up for a Saturday night special.

You don't get City TV?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Will PVR this game, cause NFL playoffs. Hopefully it'll be worth watching.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Too bad the thread about the PK bash fest was closed. I lost a lot of respect for Dany Dube who has always been fair in the past.

PK was waiting for the reporters and asked Renaud Lavoie right away : ''So apparently you guys have been on my case?"

Then he embraced the critics in this amazing interview.

[nhl]721713&catid=66[/nhl]

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It also brings up two examples of teams who have won cups with a skilled 4th line and leaves out the loads of other teams who have won the cup with a big, strong, "gritty" 4th line.

I agree I wouldn't want pure grit on the 4th line -- that's even more limited. Weise and Prust bring much more than grit. They have a degree of skill that's bumped them up to the top-9 just as often, plus they're both strong guys who are responsible defending as they are able to generate chances.

As for the article's examples of skilled 4th lines making the difference, citing Pittsburgh's Cup year seems a bit disingenuous when the Pens had Crosby and Malkin entering their prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad