Rumor: Pittsburgh Penguins targeting Columbus defenseman Jack Johnson?

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
The young guys are the future of this franchise. This rebuild is going to take some time. It makes no sense trading youth when, by the time this team is ready to compete, JJ will be in his 30s. Why not have a complete D with 25-28 year olds in their prime?

Can't keep them all.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
The biggest reason I like Jack is his attitude. He wants to be here. He's a down-to-earth Midwestern boy, which I like, and he's played between pretty well and really well for us. I'd hate to see him leave so soon after coming to a situation that really seems to suit him.

I realize this is a business and if the price is right JD/JK will have to pull the trigger and I'll just have to get over it. But I won't be a happy camper.

ditto.

I see no reason to shuffle the defense around. Yes we are deep and have promising prospects, good teams are supposed to be that way.

The young guys are the future of this franchise. This rebuild is going to take some time. It makes no sense trading youth when, by the time this team is ready to compete, JJ will be in his 30s. Why not have a complete D with 25-28 year olds in their prime?

Are you so sure we are that far away?

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I don't see how this works to be honest. There might be some trade interest, but they might have missed the mark on who is being targeted.

This, The rumor was started by notoriously bad Rob Rossi. I think Rossi saw Jarmo and Patrick at the Game and through a combination of stupidity and ignorance figured the only player on our team the Pens could want was Crosby's friend JMFJ.

My biggest hope here is that either...

1. This is a trade of Umby to the Pens, or
2. The Pens are planning on not resigning Letang and JMFJ is part of a Package for him. (Letang-Murray :yo:)

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
This, The rumor was started by notoriously bad Rob Rossi. I think Rossi saw Jarmo and Patrick at the Game and through a combination of stupidity and ignorance figured the only player on our team the Pens could want was Crosby's friend JMFJ.

My biggest hope here is that either...

1. This is a trade of Umby to the Pens, or
2. The Pens are planning on not resigning Letang and JMFJ is part of a Package for him. (Letang-Murray :yo:)

And the most interesting part of Rossi's article was the quotes by Orpik.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
After the 13'/14' season Moore, Erixon, Savard, Goloubef, Prout, (Despres) would have to go through waivers. (And Murray will definitely get a spot.) Because Wiz and Tyutin have no trade clauses, JJ will have to be moved in order to keep our future D in tact. It's either this year, or next year. It's going to happen if you like it or not.

So clearly the only solution is...to keep all of those guys around and trade Johnson.

Let's ignore the public comments made about Savard, or the very good possibility that the new regime isn't sold on a couple of the younger guys and will move them for someone else, or the possibility that someone gets injured. Set all that aside, and it STILL doesn't make any sense to alleviate a potential roster logjam 19 months down the road by trading Jack Johnson right now.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Kevin Allen from USA Today just on radio station in Pittsburgh.

"To be honest, I'd be surprised."
"I got a sense (from Columbus) their rebuilding effort included having Jack Johnson in a leadership role."
"JD said (JJ is) built like a linebacker."
"Wants to be in Columbus."
"I think they would trade anyone for the right price but not sure that's one of their priorities."

"When game's on line he wants puck. Risk-taker. His risk high yield. Over last 18 months his game matured. Been in big environments. Plays big minutes. Rink rat. Captain America."

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
If we're picking Seth Jones we don't need all of Tyutin, Wiz and Johnson (all signed through 2017) and Johnson probably yields the highest return.

Johnson isn't my first choice to trade, but let's be honest--the defense hasn't been significantly worse when he's not in the lineup. He is not indispensable to the rebuild.

I don't think the Pens are as interested in Umby as he/we are in them being interested in him.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
If we're picking Seth Jones we don't need all of Tyutin, Wiz and Johnson (all signed through 2017) and Johnson probably yields the highest return.

Johnson isn't my first choice to trade, but let's be honest--the defense hasn't been significantly worse when he's not in the lineup. He is not indispensable to the rebuild.

I don't think the Pens are as interested in Umby as he/we are in them being interested in him.

Make a move now, particularly a major one, because of the possibility of drafting Seth Jones?

If Jones gets drafted, the value of any of the defensemen currently on the roster is likely to drop to some extent.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Yeah, I've mentioned that before. I'm not sure if it speaks highly for the young guys coming in or poorly for the guys going down to injury.

But I tend to agree, he's not indispensable. He also might be the easiest to trade with the greatest return. I'm not sure that is with Pittsburgh though.

CincyHatTrick

Jun 26, 2006
Cincy
I never have understood the idea that if you are rebuilding its automatically requires everyone on the roster to be a young kid.

While I am for any trade that helps, I think Columbus is wise to hang onto a player like JJ. As stated above, its the type of player you want to lead the team. With a strong leader, you keep your locker-room intact....and maybe, you end up "saving" a few of the fringe players from under performing.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The hope would be that Jarmo could pry a can't miss young player away from another team. A playoff team isn't going to part with a key top 6 forward preparing for a playoff run.

I haven't seen Bennett play recently, but it seems like he's played well for the Pens in a handful of games. Say he was able to step into the Jackets' lineup and score 20+ goals next season, then maybe sacrificing JJ is worth it. If the Jackets can get a dynamic offensive player, then maybe Moore, Erixon, Goloubef or Murray can fill JJ's void.

But dumping JJ because of salary... :shakehead

Also, Jackets sweaters I own: Klesla (#44), Filatov, Brassard.

When has anyone said anything about trading Johnson because of his salary?

Illinest

Jan 7, 2008
Harrisburg
Pens fan - rj umberger makes a lot more sense. Our GM has had a predilection toward forwards who play a certain style of game. E.g. pascal dupuis, chris kunitz. I think if he deals with columbus it'll be about umberger.

Other thoughts:
Rob rossi isn't worth reading. We take him with a big grain of salt.
Jj doesn't address all of our problems. We want a high skilled powerplay qb of course but we also need depth and solid positional play on all three pairings. We're not convinced about jj's work in his own end.
Pens fans have been very happy with simon despres. I think we'd all be dismayed if we found out that we traded him. We would like to add to the defense without having to sacrifice from our top 6. Not to say that i want to make a direct comparison between the two of course. Despres still has to improve his game and prove himself before anyone will offer up a 5 mill contract. Im trying to say that jj only makes sense to us if we could somehow acquire him without giving anything up from our current blueline (save perhaps a lesser piece like niskanen or bortuzzo) and i doubt that any of you would be interested in that.

I think the pens ideal trade deadline would be to spend less in terms of assets but still get a pp qb. Sergei gonchar comes to mind as a possibility. Then we'd go after a premium wing like iginla but keep guys like umberger in the picture as a fallback.

Im looking forward to playing you guys more. Regional rivals and all that. Good luck building up a strong team.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Pens fan - rj umberger makes a lot more sense. Our GM has had a predilection toward forwards who play a certain style of game. E.g. pascal dupuis, chris kunitz. I think if he deals with columbus it'll be about umberger.

Other thoughts:
Rob rossi isn't worth reading. We take him with a big grain of salt.
Jj doesn't address all of our problems. We want a high skilled powerplay qb of course but we also need depth and solid positional play on all three pairings. We're not convinced about jj's work in his own end.
Pens fans have been very happy with simon despres. I think we'd all be dismayed if we found out that we traded him. We would like to add to the defense without having to sacrifice from our top 6. Not to say that i want to make a direct comparison between the two of course. Despres still has to improve his game and prove himself before anyone will offer up a 5 mill contract. Im trying to say that jj only makes sense to us if we could somehow acquire him without giving anything up from our current blueline (save perhaps a lesser piece like niskanen or bortuzzo) and i doubt that any of you would be interested in that.

I think the pens ideal trade deadline would be to spend less in terms of assets but still get a pp qb. Sergei gonchar comes to mind as a possibility. Then we'd go after a premium wing like iginla but keep guys like umberger in the picture as a fallback.

Im looking forward to playing you guys more. Regional rivals and all that. Good luck building up a strong team.

The big reason that I agree with you about Umby is that with the Pens, he would be able to be slotted where he is most effective, and he would be able to be comfortable in his role. The other reason that I think that there will be real interest in Umby is because of the monster play-offs he had with Philly that one season. Teams are always willing to take a shot at a proven play-off performer.

JJ doesn't get enough credit in my book. He is the type D-man that is high risk / high reward. With those type guys you sort of overlook the +/-. +/- to me is way more important with those guys that assume the shut-down role, and need to be + players for those situations.

We too look forward to moving East, and playing the Pens more often. Assuming it happens.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Make a move now, particularly a major one, because of the possibility of drafting Seth Jones?

If Jones gets drafted, the value of any of the defensemen currently on the roster is likely to drop to some extent.

:huh:

Did you miss the sarcasm smiley on the last part or are you just really confused?

Let's look at the situation. We have Erixon, Moore, Murray, Nikitin and that doesn't even get to guys like Holden, Prout and Goloubef. Murray is going to need top 4 minutes, if not next year, certainly the following year. Even without Jones I'd argue we should be thinking about shedding some cap and roster space on the blueline and redistributing it towards forwards. Pair Murray with Wiz, keep Tyutin and Nikitin together and let the other guys fight for playing time to determine who is going to make it long term. If we got Despres as part of the package for Johnson would we really be that much worse off? Take a look at their stats thus far this season, Johnson is not worth the incremental difference in pay unless you are one of the folks that thinks he has magical intangibles, particularly since Despres is on an entry level deal.

I never have understood the idea that if you are rebuilding its automatically requires everyone on the roster to be a young kid.

While I am for any trade that helps, I think Columbus is wise to hang onto a player like JJ. As stated above, its the type of player you want to lead the team. With a strong leader, you keep your locker-room intact....and maybe, you end up "saving" a few of the fringe players from under performing.

I'll be honesty, I think Johnson's "intangibles" are overstated by people and, to be honest, I think you get a lot of the same things from Wisniewski. The difference, one is a whipping boy despite the fact that he has more points and a better plus/minus because he is viewed as overpaid and the other is viewed as a saint because he actually was generally happy to be traded here. I think Johnson is largely beloved because of who we traded to get him rather than what he has done on the ice to this point.

No, you don't typically have nothing but young guys. You have to sprinkle in affordable Prospal type players to teach guys the ropes and instill the right attitude in them. But you also typically don't have half of your defense signed for the next 4 seasons at over $4 million when you are at the very beginning of a rebuild. Keep in mind that Ryan Murray's cap hit isn't exactly low either at $3.5 million. You have to save money in the first year to two of a rebuild because the fans are not going to be coming back in droves next year. You also want to give yourself flexibility in 2-3 years to go out in the free agent market and spend to fill the holes you can't address through drafting and development.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
They wanted Wiz summer before last.

They wanted him until they didn't sign him, then it was "Wiz is overpaid, sucks - Ian White is a much better player at a fairer price"

This report about JMFJ and Pitt seems like such a reach to me. Sounds like someone trying to figure out why group A and group B are meeting by looking at rosters for potential pieces. I've no doubt that someone may be interested in any number of players, but it's a long way to go to say they're on the block.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Other thoughts:
Rob rossi isn't worth reading.

This can't be said enough. Rossi is a donkey. He has had Jagr signed, Staal traded (not this summer), Yandle acquired, and several other "confirmed" transactions or facts completely wrong.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
No, you don't typically have nothing but young guys. You have to sprinkle in affordable Prospal type players to teach guys the ropes and instill the right attitude in them. But you also typically don't have half of your defense signed for the next 4 seasons at over $4 million when you are at the very beginning of a rebuild. Keep in mind that Ryan Murray's cap hit isn't exactly low either at $3.5 million. You have to save money in the first year to two of a rebuild because the fans are not going to be coming back in droves next year. You also want to give yourself flexibility in 2-3 years to go out in the free agent market and spend to fill the holes you can't address through drafting and development.

Throw Umbie into this mix and you have one of the biggest obstacles JK will face - Long term (overpaid) contracts and some NTC's.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Umberger makes the most sense for BOTH clubs. I don't see the Pens needing JMFJ and I don't see us trading him.

phishstu, I don't see Savard on the Columbus blueline in 2014.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
The talk is about Umberger. Period.

I'd love for you to be right, but I think it is wishful thinking.

What return would we even get for RJ at this point? First round pick and nothing more? Pick and prospect?

And how the heck do the Pens fit him into their salary structure?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

What return would we even get for RJ at this point? First round pick and nothing more? Pick and prospect?

I don't see how we could get a 1st round pick from any team for Umberger.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

It would almost certainly require the Jackets eat ~$1m/year of RJ's caphit. I'll leave value for others to judge.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

If you can get a first round pick for Umberger, you TAKE IT and run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad