Rumor: Pittsburgh Penguins targeting Columbus defenseman Jack Johnson?

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Now, another name has surfaced, and it’s one that makes sense on a lot of fronts: Jack Johnson of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen, his assistant Chris MacFarland, and senior advisor (and former Penguins GM) Craig Patrick watched last night’s Pittsburgh win over the Tampa Bay Lightning.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/

Interesting.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm not as against this idea as some on this board.

I just don't want him sold for a bunch of lesser parts. Tyler Kennedy, Simon Despres, and a 2nd (Just throwing out an example, no idea if the value is fair) doesn't do it for me.

We have enough complementary players as it is. We don't need to trade one of our key guys for a bunch of depth.

Last edited:

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I'd rather not trade him within our future division...

If the team is really looking to move him, I wonder how badly the Wings would want a Michigan guy on their backed...

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
The biggest reason I like Jack is his attitude. He wants to be here. He's a down-to-earth Midwestern boy, which I like, and he's played between pretty well and really well for us. I'd hate to see him leave so soon after coming to a situation that really seems to suit him.

I realize this is a business and if the price is right JD/JK will have to pull the trigger and I'll just have to get over it. But I won't be a happy camper.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
The biggest reason I like Jack is his attitude. He wants to be here. He's a down-to-earth Midwestern boy, which I like, and he's played between pretty well and really well for us. I'd hate to see him leave so soon after coming to a situation that really seems to suit him.

I realize this is a business and if the price is right JD/JK will have to pull the trigger and I'll just have to get over it. But I won't be a happy camper.

I couldn't agree more I want players that want to be here not whiney ba$tards like Jeff Carter

IHeartZherdev*

I don't see the point of trading Jack. Our best d man and a great guy for the organization and the city. He's still young, so trading him for a prospect that has the potential to be as good as Jack Johnson makes no sense. We have plenty of draft picks already, and have plenty of other guys to deal if we want more.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

I agree. JJ seems like part of the solution, not the problem. He wants to help Columbus be successful. He's giving his all out there. Maybe that's not always enough, but it's not due to lack of effort.

I would rather see effort into getting him the right defensive partner for him to be more effective. The JJ-Wiz pairing at even strength isn't going work.

The team doesn't have a lot of assets that are going to return big players. Trading JJ for a pile of spare parts isn't enough. It needs to be an elite player or two. The Jackets have enough 3rd and 4th liners and not-quite-ready defensemen. If the Pens want to give up a highly regarded prospect (Bennett, maybe?) or player with 1st line talent, then okay, but the Jackets need to win the trade.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio

Agree, if he is traded I sure hope the return is so good that I can forget about him other wise I will not be happy.

IHeartZherdev*

If the Pens want to give up a highly regarded prospect (Bennett, maybe?) or player with 1st line talent, then okay, but the Jackets need to win the trade.

Always hard to win a trade when you are giving up the best player. Prospects are prospects....really hope we don't trade Jack

IHeartZherdev*

Yep. Only way CBJ potentially win is if it includes Despres, Bennett and another piece. And if I was Shero, I wouldn't do it.

Assuming Bennett becomes a top line winger and Despres becomes as good as/better than Jack. Or in 5 years whoever we get with the pick turns out to be a stud...

That said, you do have to give value to get value and Jarmo is not going to get much for Jared Boll.

But considering we have Murray, Erixon, and Moore, not sure we have a major need for another 21 year old D prospect - we have three first rounders right there. Nice to have a guy like Jack who take those big minutes while the other guys get eased into the league. Also - If they are willing to part with Despres, they obviously don't think he is going to turn into a stud (like they did with Goligoski)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Assuming Bennett becomes a top line winger and Despres becomes as good as/better than Jack. Or in 5 years whoever we get with the pick turns out to be a stud...

That said, you do have to give value to get value and Jarmo is not going to get much for Jared Boll.

But considering we have Murray, Erixon, and Moore, not sure we have a major need for another 21 year old D prospect - we have three first rounders right there. Nice to have a guy like Jack who take those big minutes while the other guys get eased into the league. Also - If they are willing to part with Despres, they obviously don't think he is going to turn into a stud (like they did with Goligoski)

Thus "potentially." I'm not in favor of it, either. I'm just sayin'.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Interesting. I think I will wait and see:

1. If a deal is actually completed and

2. What the return is before I judge whether or not I like trading JJ. I love JJ as a player, but if it means getting players that will make the team better in the long run, hey I am all for it.

We have lost with JJ, and we can lose without JJ as well. So I will wait and reserve judgement until I see who comes back, if there indeed is a trade

phishstu

Jul 28, 2006
After the 13'/14' season Moore, Erixon, Savard, Goloubef, Prout, (Despres) would have to go through waivers. (And Murray will definitely get a spot.) Because Wiz and Tyutin have no trade clauses, JJ will have to be moved in order to keep our future D in tact. It's either this year, or next year. It's going to happen if you like it or not.

megashock5

Jan 17, 2007
Powell, OH
Of course he's going to get traded...

I store my J. Johnson sweater right next to my Torres.:shakehead

I hear you. I have four jerseys. One is plain, but the other three are:

Wright
Nash
Voracek

I have run out of current player jerseys. We need a redesign so I have an excuse to get a new one.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'll be surprised if JJ gets moved. He bought (maybe I'm wrong maybe they are renting) a nice condo so they are planning on staying hear.
One thing I don't know is how much he enjoys it here now. No offense but playing on a last place team isn't easy. Maybe after almost a year he's starting to crack (again I have no idea)?
Again I would assume unless he asks out (and again it takes a special person to thrive in an enviroment where you lose most nights), I think he stays.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Always hard to win a trade when you are giving up the best player. Prospects are prospects....really hope we don't trade Jack

The hope would be that Jarmo could pry a can't miss young player away from another team. A playoff team isn't going to part with a key top 6 forward preparing for a playoff run.

I haven't seen Bennett play recently, but it seems like he's played well for the Pens in a handful of games. Say he was able to step into the Jackets' lineup and score 20+ goals next season, then maybe sacrificing JJ is worth it. If the Jackets can get a dynamic offensive player, then maybe Moore, Erixon, Goloubef or Murray can fill JJ's void.

But dumping JJ because of salary... :shakehead

Also, Jackets sweaters I own: Klesla (#44), Filatov, Brassard.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'll be surprised if JJ gets moved. He bought (maybe I'm wrong maybe they are renting) a nice condo so they are planning on staying hear.
One thing I don't know is how much he enjoys it here now. No offense but playing on a last place team isn't easy. Maybe after almost a year he's starting to crack (again I have no idea)?
Again I would assume unless he asks out (and again it takes a special person to thrive in an enviroment where you lose most nights), I think he stays.

He's getting an awful lot of ice time here, must like that.

What other players might the Pens be interested in to explain the meeting/game attendance the other night? If it's D, I can see at attempt to talk to one of the Russians about those NTCs...

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
After the 13'/14' season Moore, Erixon, Savard, Goloubef, Prout, (Despres) would have to go through waivers. (And Murray will definitely get a spot.) Because Wiz and Tyutin have no trade clauses, JJ will have to be moved in order to keep our future D in tact. It's either this year, or next year. It's going to happen if you like it or not.

There's no reason one or two of the younger guys couldn't get moved. Especially next year as the cap comes down and teams look to move salary.

phishstu

Jul 28, 2006
There's no reason one or two of the younger guys couldn't get moved. Especially next year as the cap comes down and teams look to move salary.

The young guys are the future of this franchise. This rebuild is going to take some time. It makes no sense trading youth when, by the time this team is ready to compete, JJ will be in his 30s. Why not have a complete D with 25-28 year olds in their prime?

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
He's getting an awful lot of ice time here, must like that.

What other players might the Pens be interested in to explain the meeting/game attendance the other night? If it's D, I can see at attempt to talk to one of the Russians about those NTCs...

Biggest two players would be Umby and Prospal. I think the discussion would be over Umby. As much as he struggles here, Umby crashing the net and taking feeds from Crosby would be a major coup for the Pens. The trade of Umby would definitely be a hockey trade depending on what we get back. Umby would be Crosby's second best winger (after Hossa) and could be a 30 goal scorer so we need to trade based on that not on what he is without a surrounding cast.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't see how this works to be honest. There might be some trade interest, but they might have missed the mark on who is being targeted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad