Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary cap: We need some wet wipes, there's a mess back there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pretty positive NJ would eat half just to pick up an asset.

Foligno's basically way too expensive or untouchable.
Beaulieu seems like WPG likes him and they want to add more D vs subtract from it.

Simmond's has picked up his game some and isn't a total plug in my mind. Scored 2 and almost 3 a week ago and potted one vs WSH yesterday.

I think JR would get a top 6 option if he could but if the other end of the phone is saying, we want a prospect you really like(Legare, Hallander) + the pick, you are probably either a) waiting to see if prices drop while b) looking at lower options.
It is what it is...

Yeah they probably would retain but another team might also not need retention to make a similar deal.

A RW is weird for me because assume BART stays then it’s Horny, Rust and Simon on the right. So if it’s a RW for Sid then sure but other than that it seems strange to me.

Unless JR is completely ignoring Sully.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah they probably would retain but another team might also not need retention to make a similar deal.

A RW is weird for me because assume BART stays then it’s Horny, Rust and Simon on the right. So if it’s a RW for Sid then sure but other than that it seems strange to me.

Unless JR is completely ignoring Sully.

Agree completely, we don’t need a RW who’s not a first line option, which means Sully will play him there until he shows he cannot play there...you know that...he plays Horny there even though Sid doesn’t want to play with him..

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ignoring the faceoff aspect is gonna put this team under. That depth forward doing what they lack at (puck control) in their own end will pay huge dividends.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Ignoring the faceoff aspect is gonna put this team under. That depth forward doing what they lack at (puck control) in their own end will pay huge dividends.

I resent TB's faceooffs but I don't see us getting someone as good defensively as he is that's ALSO good on faceoffs. Maybe Cullen + time machine?

Reactions: Malkinstheman

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I'd like the Pens to acquire a big physical body to stand up to Wilson. As always there is a chance we meet the Caps in the playoffs. Would be nice to have a Reaves or Gudbranson type player just in case.

Hell, what's Tom Sestito doing these days?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Nate Thompson at the top of my list right now.

Connor Sheary on the list but don't know at what priority level.

Forwards on expiring contacts are basically what I'd be looking for.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Thornton for a 7th
Bogo for free
Sheary for...something

Zucker-Sid-Sheary
Kahun-Malkin-Rust
Simon-McCann-Horny
Bleuger-Thornton-Tanev

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Marino
JJ-Schultz
Bogo-Riikola

MM/TJ

Easy. Piece of cake.

Okay, okay, getting more serious people, don't freak out about someone like Sheary or Bogo. These are depth moves.

Not to sound cliche, but the best moves to be made are getting our guys back. Dumo and Marino and a 100% health Kahun do A LOT more for us than any deadline move. That's what we need. Once they are all back, the guys we are being linked to will be depth players, likely HS's.

It's not like JR wants Bogo for the top pairing...or Simmonds for the top line.

Take a breath people.

Also, think about who is realistically available for prices we can afford...be reasonable.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I just can’t see why Bogosian would sign with a team where he wouldn’t be getting playing time which is what I’d hope would be the case with us.

unless the reason were interested is because theyre thinking on moving schultz

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Opportunity for Angelo but he is just not ready for prime time as the speed is simply to fast for him. He has nice assets but he needs to think faster and gain needed experience at this level.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
What time is the trade deadline over tomorrow? Do you guys think we will make any moves at all? It seems really quite thats why I am asking:)

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
What time is the trade deadline over tomorrow? Do you guys think we will make any moves at all? It seems really quite thats why I am asking:)

I think if we lose this game, JR's going to do something drastic and divisive for this board.

So JR's about to do something drastic and divisive for this board.

Reactions: pensfan71

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Dom Simon is a good cheap plug and play option. He really, really is going to fail against the Washington and Boston’s come the post season if he’s stapled to L1. Don’t know what Rutherford can do about that.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Dom Simon is a good cheap plug and play option. He really, really is going to fail against the Washington and Boston’s come the post season if he’s stapled to L1. Don’t know what Rutherford can do about that.

Honestly I think knowing JR...some of the nuclear options are on the table. That includes guys like McCann. That may include a goalie. It may also include Poulin, which...oof.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Simon needs to get off line 1, and I'm not sure exactly what the answer is to replace him. He's been bad this season and his analytics are horrible too so shut up.

The answer isn't Simmonds, we all went through this last year. Simmonds sucks. He's a plug. He is the polar opposite of everything that has ever made this team successful.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Is it the annual tune out Sully time for the players? Not sure it matters who JR acquires when Mike Bylsma is only a good coach when Crosby or Malkin are injured.

Our caveman coach will continue to play Simon with Crosby and we all know he’ll go with Murray in the playoffs.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think Riikola gets moved before the deadline. He can be a good depth guy pickup. And the penguins over dont want him. I wonder if he was scratch because he is gettin dealt.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Leaving aside the cost, there are only 2 moves worth making right now:

1. A top 6 winger. It can be a LW for Geno-Horny (but it has to be a complement with wheels and hands) and slide Rust up to L1 RW or a RW for Zucker-Sid. Kahun is NOT the answer for L2. He could be for L1, but Sully never looked at it recently, so there's no way to know. Let the depth slide in to fill out the bottom 6 and call it a day.

2. A LW to partner with Marino,. Ride Dumo-Tang and that pairing. Don't care who fills out the 3rd pairing. Don't care if one of Pets, JJ, or Schultz (it won't be JJ obviously) is on the bench. Ride the top 4.

Forget a Simmonds. Forget a Bogo. Depth for the bottom 6 or another #6 is NOT the answer. It's just a waste of middling picks that may do as much harm as good.

Go bigger or stay home.

EDIT: Yes, that will cost assets, but JR will recoup some this summer when he moves a goalie. He's not paying 10M for 2 goalies. Either Murray backstops them to a deep run (in which case Jarry is dealt) or he doesn't (in which case Murray goes).

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Simmer blows now. Shame bc he used to be helluva player.

I think @pixiesfanyo has been spot on that Riikola can be a Kempny type of add for a team. I’ve liked his play this year but gotta imagine solid chance he’s a goner.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I can’t wait for Riikola for Bogosian. It’ll be low fat Despres for Lovejoy to this board.

Reactions: Pens x

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I wonder if Riikola is going to be a Penguin at this time tomorrow.

It just feels like he isn't going to be here long term.

If Pens sign Bogosian maybe Riikola is the asset the Pens use to get a forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad