Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary cap: We need some wet wipes, there's a mess back there

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Ok

Pro Strats here, boys....

We just witnessed a zamboni driver backstop a team to a win.

We always bitch that no name rookie goalies shut the Pens down.

Every other board says the same thing.

f*** paying Jarry or Murray $10mil.

Use 2 ECHL level guys at league minimum. Declare "injuries." Rotate through 41 other 'emergency' backups. Go 82-0 + 16-0.

And piss all over CHI and WSH lame ass cap circumvention schemes!

TheNorthPenguin

Oct 25, 2019
It honestly shocks me after all the changes and admittance of mistakes that JR has made this season, that the names their linked to are the exact opposite.

If the Pitt media is to be believed and that Sully and JR are pissed about recent play, it shocks me they think the solution is the likes of Bogo/Simmonds/Thornton. Get back to what you were doing earlier in the season with speed and aggressiveness and that relentless pressure.

The only way I could somewhat entertain Bogo is if JR has a legit top 4 LD lined up and he moves Schultz for forward help. Then you can run a low minute bottom pair of Petts - Bogo/JJ.

Reactions: Andy99

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Has Bogo become an FA, yet? If it’s a league minimum deal, he’s fine depth as a number 7 or 8 when Marino and Dumo are back.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
If it's grit he's looking for then he should go after guys like Foligno and Beaulieu. Guys that can actually play and be gritty, not some washed up has beens.

Reactions: ownal

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Has Bogo become an FA, yet? If it’s a league minimum deal, he’s fine depth as a number 7 or 8 when Marino and Dumo are back.

I was always a Bogo fan, especially because he is a big RH defenseman. He was playing too many mins the last few years in Buffalo, but even when they reduced his mins this year he was awful.

Imagine a JJ - Bogo bottom pair. Bring that pair up 7 years ago and people would call that a top pair. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If it's grit he's looking for then he should go after guys like Foligno and Beaulieu. Guys that can actually play and be gritty, not some washed up has beens.

Both guys are the types JR should be going after...the issue is the cost. If the rumors are correct, we will be getting Simmonds for a 3rd rounder in 2021 and Bogo will cost nothing. The issue is that the moves are low risk, but low reward. Both players are spent where Beaulieu and Foligno could actually bring something more.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just stop with the bad players, JR....crikey...

SomeMassiveHerald-max-1mb.gif

Both guys are the types JR should be going after...the issue is the cost. If the rumors are correct, we will be getting Simmonds for a 3rd rounder in 2021 and Bogo will cost nothing. The issue is that the moves are low risk, but low reward. Both players are spent where Beaulieu and Foligno could actually bring something more.

Failure to acquire the latter should in no way influence interest in the former (I think we're on the same page on that).

Reactions: Andy99 and JTG

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

He’s a FA right now. He just has to choose before 3pm EST tomorrow. He’s a UFA so he’ll probably pick a team where he’ll get the best chance to play.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I don't think Beaulieu would cost that much, but Foligno would probably cost a 2nd or a 3rd + prospect.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So, let's see if I've got this right.

Step 1: JR fixes his mistakes.

Step 2: Profit.

Step 3: Get poised to **** it all up.

What became apparent, even during the highest of highs, is that there were some holes that needed to be filled. For example, we needed a scoring winger BEFORE Jake got hurt. Adding Zucker and losing Jake hasn't changed that. We had 3 good to great reliable defenseman, and from there was a big drop off that became exposed as guys got over slotted due to Dumo's and then Marino's injury.

So, JR is at a cross roads. Complete the equation or repeat the 'we won the cup but Tom Wilson was an ass clown' fiasco of the summer of '17.

The 'word' is hardly encouraging.

I still think the move is a top 6 winger and a partner for Marino. Set up Sid and Geno as best as you can to dictate and ride the **** out of your top 4.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think Beaulieu would cost that much, but Foligno would probably cost a 2nd or a 3rd + prospect.

Worth every penny of that, and I wouldn't bother with him in the bottom 6. I'd park him right on the LW of Geno and Rust.

Unfortunately, I think he costs a little more . . .

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Worth every penny of that, and I wouldn't bother with him in the bottom 6. I'd park him right on the LW of Geno and Rust.

Unfortunately, I think he costs a little more . . .

if foligno was coming here it would have made sense to expand the the zucker trade and get them both in one deal. He will cost to much on his own now.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
To get Simmonds without retention we’d have to move someone paid more the McCann. It becomes very unrealistic at that point.

Bjugstad, Dumo, Tanev, Rust and JJ are the closest paid guys above McCann

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
To get Simmonds without retention we’d have to move someone paid more the McCann. It becomes very unrealistic at that point.

I’m sure NJ would retain if we’re overpaying a 3rd round pick for him...he’s not worth any payment because he’s really not a good hockey player anymore, but JR is five years behind the times...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Pretty positive NJ would eat half just to pick up an asset.

Foligno's basically way too expensive or untouchable.
Beaulieu seems like WPG likes him and they want to add more D vs subtract from it.

Simmond's has picked up his game some and isn't a total plug in my mind. Scored 2 and almost 3 a week ago and potted one vs WSH yesterday.

I think JR would get a top 6 option if he could but if the other end of the phone is saying, we want a prospect you really like(Legare, Hallander) + the pick, you are probably either a) waiting to see if prices drop while b) looking at lower options.
It is what it is...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pretty positive NJ would eat half just to pick up an asset.

Foligno's basically way too expensive or untouchable.
Beaulieu seems like WPG likes him and they want to add more D vs subtract from it.

Simmond's has picked up his game some and isn't a total plug in my mind. Scored 2 and almost 3 a week ago and potted one vs WSH yesterday.

I think JR would get a top 6 option if he could but if the other end of the phone is saying, we want a prospect you really like(Legare, Hallander) + the pick, you are probably either a) waiting to see if prices drop while b) looking at lower options.
It is what it is...

there are better “lower” options who fit our speed game more, like Names, Fast, Ennis, Smith perhaps, even Lewis, Thompson, etc...all of those options shouldn’t cost more than a 3rd either...

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I just can’t see why Bogosian would sign with a team where he wouldn’t be getting playing time which is what I’d hope would be the case with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad