Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary cap: We need some wet wipes, there's a mess back there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
An incremental improvement is what we should be going for here. Adding quality depth at a minimal cost is the way to go IMO. Unless we get lucky with someone losing their minds and offering insane value.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You know why.

The real question, is why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways.

giphy.gif

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wonder the cost of Sam Bennett would be?
High, the Flames love him. hes not producing points like they were hoping, but hes gritty and plays hard every game. Only way I seem him moving is in a package for a top 6 right wing right shot.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don’t. Zucker already is proving to be the best acquisition so far unless you like watching a D man punch the other team’s stars while a ref holds him.

Because things are going... ready for this revelation...

Badly for a few games.

When has this board ever been able to handle adversity?

Shit doesn’t work out after a few games, panic, turn on JR, Sullivan, Sid, Murray, The New Guy, whomever.

It doesn’t have to be logical, just start blaming people and give up on the Pens.

It’s literally been the MO of this board since Dec 08.

Now we have some true visionaries playing the field telling us how the Pens aren’t winning the cup, that way they look smart or something....?

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Non sexy but more depth/steady. That's my mantra. I know it's cute to make the biggest splash, but the Pens just need some more depth due to countless injuries. Ruh/Trotman/Pets were so f*cking god awful today.

The continuing issues with Pets REALLY complicates things, because right now, you either have to trust him OR JMFJ as your #4, and I'm not sure-- hockey gods forgive me for writing this-- I'm not sure JMFJ isn't the better option.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Non sexy but more depth/steady. That's my mantra. I know it's cute to make the biggest splash, but the Pens just need some more depth due to countless injuries. Ruh/Trotman/Pets were so f*cking god awful today.

Big splashes also create depth if they are the right piece.

On the flip side there were quite a few freaking out when the Caps got Shattenkirk and we didn’t. How did that turn out? :)

Reactions: ColePens

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Badly for a few games.

When has this board every been able to handle adversity?

Shit doesn’t work out after a few games, panic, turn on JR, Sullivan, Sid, Murray, The New Guy, whomever.

It doesn’t have to be logical, just start blaming people and give up on the Pens.

Now we have some true visionaries playing the field telling us how the Pens aren’t winning the cup, that way they look smart or something....?

I've always been in this camp: As is-- assuming Dumo and Marino are back healthy-- the Pens can beat anyone in a 7 game series, but they'd be dogs against Tampa and Boston and a pick 'em (goaltending wins it) against Washington.

As noted, the issues with Pets complicate things. And, they need everything to fall right given how the top 6 currently is constructed.

Hopefully, JR addresses those things by adding options.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
The continuing issues with Pets REALLY complicates things, because right now, you either have to trust him OR JMFJ as your #4, and I'm not sure-- hockey gods forgive me for writing this-- I'm not sure JMFJ isn't the better option.

He is. Was pretty good with Marino. And even though it hurts he’s doing better than anyone else could on the top pair. Not that anyone likes it including Sully but it is what it is.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He is. Was pretty good with Marino. And even though it hurts he’s doing better than anyone else could on the top pair. Not that anyone likes it including Sully but it is what it is.

The guy isn't out there, but ideally there's someone who legit can play LD or RD and slot in as the #4 better than Johnson if circumstances with Pets require.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

there’s a case to be made that Petts would be serviceable as a bottom paired defenseman. Can we say the same for Schultz? Can we pair Schultz with anyone and make him trustworthy in the playoffs? If all our defensemen are healthy what do the pairings look like?

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I'm honestly curious to see the reaction this site is going to have when JR re-acquires Sheary for a 4th tomorrow. On one hand, Sheary did get a lot of shit on this board about his inconsistencies and falling over regularly. On the other hand, Sheary fits the system extremely well and is very likely a better RW option for Crosby than Simon. I don't know if the reaction will be "I'm fine with this addition", "JR didn't shoot high enough, they can't contend with the top teams without making another major addition" or "Sheary sucks and I'm mad they brought him back". All of those seem like reasonable responses for this board to have.

This isn't meant to be condescending towards the board, I think all of those responses at least have merit, I just don't know which one we'll see.
Sheary is 2X’s the player garbage like 12, 27, 46 etc etc

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Badly for a few games.

When has this board every been able to handle adversity?

To be fair, and i'm guilty of this as well, we let a vocal minority ruin discussion for us. The majority of us believe in this team being a contender. It's a small 15% that make it insufferable. They are the most negative humans i've ever seen.

It was brought up today but man the x-gen years were so f***ing fun to lurk here. There would be like 30 posts but people would find positives in a loss. They'd be happy for the future. They saw the big picture and were hoping the future would come. Annnnnnnnnnnd 3 Cups later. But man the GDTs were fun to read through because even in the WORST hockey games, people found positives.

Now the Pens can be a top 5 team and still people claim they need to rebuild. :laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
High, the Flames love him. hes not producing points like they were hoping, but hes gritty and plays hard every game. Only way I seem him moving is in a package for a top 6 right wing right shot.

I'd not pay much for him, you need to actually produce too but he does bring other things but maybe here he would produce.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The D as is and with the caveat that JJ has to be dressed.
I believe
JJ-Marino
is the best you've got atm.
MP-Schultz can just take softer assignments(OZ start heavy) and we pray they start playing like a 9M dollar pair.

JJ-Marino has a decent enough history to go with it as a PO pair imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad