Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Why Is All The Good Sticks Are Always Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'll take the semi-compliment from a very high quality poster.

But why is it batsh1t?

Malkin's slapper is too inconsistent at the point. He has trouble handling pucks. No forwards are great defensively backtracking but Malkin is a SH-chance against machine.

I get the idea of a 4-forward powerplay, but Matheson is a forward with a D by his name.

Malkin is at least as dangerous as Sid is on the half wall. Probably more. Sid makes the percentage play most times, which is great except when the opponent has figured out what the percentage play is.

I dunno to be honest. It just sounds like the sort of idea that'd come out of half a bottle of whisky minimum. But. A lot of what you say makes sense. Matheson has been productive on PPs when given chances. Now you've said it I kinda want to see it.

Hell, Matheson could rotate to net front for lulz himself at times too. It's not like he'd be easy to shift.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's one of our better zone entry guys too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I dunno to be honest. It just sounds like the sort of idea that'd come out of half a bottle of whisky minimum. But. A lot of what you say makes sense. Matheson has been productive on PPs when given chances. Now you've said it I kinda want to see it.

Hell, Matheson could rotate to net front for lulz himself at times too. It's not like he'd be easy to shift.

He'd probably be really good at giving up shorthanded goals.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Thanks. Beyond just the Phil-placement, there's the issue of Malkin-at-point. I really, really don't like it anymore. The slapper is not good enough to outweigh all of the myriad issues.

You look around the team and it's tough to find a better non-Malkin guy at point aside from Matheson. It'd be kinda fun to ask Sid to play point but I don't think he'd be all that good at it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You need to watch Matheson 1v1 more often.
Yep, I agree with you. I like what he brings, but there's been several games in a row where he was beaten badly (albeit on some great plays) that resulted in a goal against.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Be prepared for @Honour Over Glory to call you a wanker. He loves his eRod.

tumblr_mbbvs3aj821qc409ao1_500.gif

As a 4th liner, not the top 6 winger that Sullywanker sees him as.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
For what it’s worth, Detroit has their Assistant GM scouting the Pens game tonight and it’s been the fourth or fifth time Detroit has scouted the Pens this year...I hope the Pens are looking at Bertuzzi or Mantha and that Detroit is looking at Petts...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, it's pretty funny how wrong people have been about Letang's game falling apart due to old age.

That being said. As I've said to @KIRK and @Mr Jiggyfly. Letang makes the most sense to move because you can do minor retaining on the contract (1.25) and likely get a huge haul based on his performance.

Depends on the direction in which you choose to go this summer, but, if you are going THAT kind of retooling direction, yes it does.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think Simon's shoulder is more messed up than people probably think. It took me about a year to rehab impingement syndrome to the point I had complete range of motion and could do every one of the lifts I wanted to. Longer than that until I didn't have any pain. Mine didn't need surgery and I'm not involved in high speed pro contact sports. Simon doesn't have either luxury.

My guess is teams know that, because his general play over his career is well above the bottom 3 forwards on almost every team. Simon wasn't any kind of special player, but he wasn't a waiver clear, either. I said over the off-season that I thought his medical prognosis was why he wasn't offered a contract and I think he just washed out of the sport for basically the same reason.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Poulin and a 2022 2nd for Palmieri. 2022 switched to 2021 if we want retention on Palmieri.

I'd be fine with either of those deals.

xxxxx-Crosby-Palmieri
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Blueger-Kapanen

Last edited:

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Sometimes I wonder what game people watch. Malkin can't backskate? He's only one of the premier skaters of the last 15 years. It's a moot point anyway because he doesn't belong on the point. He belongs in the right circle. That's where his shot is most deadly and yes it's still deadly. Wonder why we haven't seen it most of the year? Playing on the left point might have something to do with it. Letang's decade-long inability to pass it into Malkin's wheelhouse has something to do with it. The PP being designed around Crosby has something to do with it. A one timer, by definition, is preceded by a pass...watch the last 10 games and count how many passes have been sent to Malkin for a one-timer. Our PP is dumb. He's also the best puck carrier on the team and gains entry easily 95% of the time. I promise I'm not a Malkin homer, these things just seem self-evident to me.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
For what it’s worth, Detroit has their Assistant GM scouting the Pens game tonight and it’s been the fourth or fifth time Detroit has scouted the Pens this year...I hope the Pens are looking at Bertuzzi or Mantha and that Detroit is looking at Petts...

I wouldn't be surprised if we got Bobby Ryan as a piece in a deal. He's a Philly area kid and has the size/toughness that we're reportedly interested in. Plus he's cheap, moderately productive, and we need wing help. I know he's slow af and has had personal issues but I think he's exactly the type of rental we should be targeting.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wouldn't be surprised if we got Bobby Ryan as a piece in a deal. He's a Philly area kid and has the size/toughness that we're reportedly interested in. Plus he's cheap, moderately productive, and we need wing help. I know he's slow af and has had personal issues but I think he's exactly the type of rental we should be targeting.

Too bad we bought out JJ or we could have 1-2-3.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah I could be down with Ryan-Malkin-Rust if Jake ain’t getting moved from Sid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad