Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Viktor Arvidsson is ice cold in Nashville. How much to get him while he is rock bottom?

I dunno but I'm interested.

We could use some of that fire.

I feel like Nashville will go for a retool/rebuild if/when they start selling off players, so I find it very unlikely that the Penguins can get any of their big name top-6 forwards. They just don't have the assets to pull that off.

Nashville probably won't do Zucker+ for Forsberg or Arvidsson. They're going to want something like Poulin and a 1st+, and the Penguins really shouldn't be hemorrhaging more futures assets.

I think this team owes it to Crosby and Malkin to do everything they can to improve the team over the next couple years. The alternative is that they break it up and sell it for spare parts.

Circling away from Forsberg and back to Cousins for a bit-- I find it odd that this team has moved so far away from garden variety "finish your checks" physicality that was a hallmark of the early Sullivan teams. Part of that, I think, is the emphasis on guys who just chase the puck, but do little else. But it's doubly crazy to me because Sid and Geno also seem to thrive on teams with guys who are not necessarily enforcers (though we know Sid's liking for them), but able to dish out and take some punishment legally or not.

We don't have to turn into the Broad Street Bullies, but finishing our checks and playing with a bit of an edge would go a long way to making this team more like the Cup teams, without even making moves. :dunno:

Austin Watson's name keeps popping into in my head.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
How's getting rid of him prudent?

Much in the sense of like when it was Bonino, Fehr & Cullen you have Haula, TB & Jankowski.

You are not going to get much for him in any trade and it's silly to just add him to a trade for the hell of it.

I don’t care if he’s traded. Send him to WBS. He’s not a very good player at all and the worst forward on the team.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
People really worried about giving up Poulin or futures for a guy with term like Arvidsson or Forsberg?

I’d buy him a plane ticket myself if he gets us close to that

Reactions: Dominance

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Why exactly does Nashville want someone older than Forsberg, even if we add? Are we adding a first and Poulin or something to it? 1st, Petts and Zucker?

if they’re blowing it up, they likely don’t want a 29 year old Zucker as the main piece.

Forsberg on this team would be amazing, but I just don’t see it.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think this team owes it to Crosby and Malkin to do everything they can to improve the team over the next couple years. The alternative is that they break it up and sell it for spare parts.

Adding Forsberg this year will do nothing to make them a legitimate contender, so you're literally pissing away assets on nothing if you do that. The reason they're not a contender right now is largely due to the play of their big guns.

If Crosby, Letang and Malkin start showing signs of life, then you look at going all in. But as long as Crosby, Letang and Malkin are playing like they are right now (mainly Malkin but the other two as well), the Penguins are flat out not a contender.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Adding Forsberg this year will do nothing to make them a legitimate contender, so you're literally pissing away assets on nothing if you do that. The reason they're not a contender right now is largely due to the play of their big guns.

If Crosby, Letang and Malkin start showing signs of life, then you look at going all in. But as long as Crosby, Letang and Malkin are playing like they are right now (mainly Malkin but the other two as well), the Penguins are flat out not a contender.

We flat out disagree about Forsberg "doing nothing" to make them a legitimate contender.

You and I spoke about how much impact Rodrigues had on the 1st line, whatever you attribute it to. Zucker and Malkin plainly aren't working, in large part because Zucker's feet are a lot faster than his brain. Put a strong, cerebral player like Forsberg on Malkin's LW and watch him shine. I don't have to detail how much a skilled RH shot like Forsberg would improve the PP.

Crosby and Letang are playing well enough that if we added a functional Malkin, they'd be in the mix. They're currently 15th in the league despite a shitty 2nd line, a shitty 4th line, and an impotent PP.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We flat out disagree about Forsberg "doing nothing" to make them a legitimate contender.

You and I spoke about how much impact Rodrigues had on the 1st line, whatever you attribute it to. Zucker and Malkin plainly aren't working, in large part because Zucker's feet are a lot faster than his brain. Put a strong, cerebral player like Forsberg on Malkin's LW and watch him shine. I don't have to detail how much a skilled RH shot like Forsberg would improve the PP.

Crosby and Letang are playing well enough that if we added a functional Malkin, they'd be in the mix. They're currently 15th in the league despite a shitty 2nd line, a shitty 4th line, and an impotent PP.

That's a big if that you're ignoring, that's my point.

Malkin has been ghastly bad this year. I'm not spending a ton of future assets during a season where Malkin looks like a shell of what he once was. If he turns it on, then you look at going all-in, but the Penguins flat out aren't a contender with how Malkin (and Crosby and Letang) is playing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Malkin has been ghastly bad this year. I'm not spending a ton of future assets during a season where Malkin looks like a shell of what he once was. If he turns it on, then you look at going all-in, but the Penguins flat out aren't a contender with how Malkin (and Crosby and Letang) is playing.

Forsberg is the kind of player that potentially allows you to move Malkin and build a L2 around if Malkin is as awful as you say.

I honestly don’t see Forsberg working with Malkin at all tbh. I think too many people read names on this forum and don’t actually watch the players.

Like Arvidsson is a worse version of Zucker that is RH.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I’d love for us to acquire Arvidsson to realize he’s an even lesser skilled Zucker.

Also @Soggy Biscuit do you think Arvidsson is a fit on our powerplay?

Arvidsson plays with snarl and we need that (admittedly it’s been a while since I’ve seen him play). Maybe I’m biased against Zucker, but just not impressed with the guy, despite decent production.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Arvidsson plays with snarl and we need that (admittedly it’s been a while since I’ve seen him play). Maybe I’m biased against Zucker, but just not impressed with the guy, despite decent production.

Snarl? Hm.

They are literal carbon copies of each other from someone who has been a fan of watching Nashville since 2002. #vokoun

Reactions: Shady Machine

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Snarl? Hm.

They are literal carbon copies of each other from someone who has been a fan of watching Nashville since 2002.

Feistiness if you prefer. I’ll take your word for their similarities. I’ve just always liked Arvidsson and was always meh on Zucker. Having said that, I never made a habit of watching Minny.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Again, this is why the Guentzel-Zucker swap needs to happen. I think it's a lot more likely that Malkin's struggling due to a bad fit on his line than that he's washed up this year.

Do you think the player who had 74 points in 55 games last year is washed up this year? Would you rather assume that than do some simple line juggling and see if removing Zucker has the same effect for Malkin that removing Rodrigues had for Crosby, who was also left for dead earlier this year?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Feistiness if you prefer. I’ll take your word for their similarities. I’ve just always liked Arvidsson and was always meh on Zucker. Having said that, I never made a habit of watching Minny.

Zucker is way more apt to throw around the body than Arvidsson. Arvidsson is a little more net front presence than Zucker, but tbh judging by how Zucker is being used we haven’t really gotten to see how effective Zucker is in front of the net.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Again, this is why the Guentzel-Zucker swap needs to happen. I think it's a lot more likely that Malkin's struggling due to a bad fit on his line than that he's washed up this year.

Do you think the player who had 74 points in 55 games last year is washed up this year? Would you rather assume that than do some simple line juggling and seeing if removing Zucker has the same effect for Malkin that removing Rodrigues had for Crosby, who was also left for dead earlier this year.

Oh, you're one of the posters who completely blames Malkin sucking ass on his linemates.

We're not going to agree on this so I'm not going to waste my time in this conversation. Another example of you only looking at things in black and white, it's either "Malkin is washed up" or "it's all his wingers fault".

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Looks like we need a visual chart for grit, snarl, feisty and of course long pants :laugh:

Ha yeah that could help!

I probably sound ridiculous but I think it’s obvious the mix on the 2nd line isn’t working. A lot is on Geno sucking, but the Pens have to either work with Geno or make a decision to rebuild. There really aren’t many other options.

That’s why Zucker, Dumo, etc should be in play.

I’m not saying Arvidsson is a slam dunk or anything, but he’s a type of guy to be interested in. I think we’d all much prefer Forsberg if we can find a way to make it happen.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Oh, you're one of the posters who completely blames Malkin sucking ass on his linemates.

We're not going to agree on this so I'm not going to waste my time in this conversation.

Crosby's problem wasn't Rodrigues until it clearly was either.

Linemates have consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad