Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Trade Me If You Can

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It’s intriguing how we can call the hornqvist trade a bust after 14 seconds of seeing Matheson play.
What's the difference between this and saying "that dude's trash" any time someone mentions a potential target? How do they know that? We didn't see him play for the Penguins yet. Is it because the trade actually went through that we have to bite our tongues?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What's the difference between this and saying "that dude's trash" any time someone mentions a potential target? How do they know that? We didn't see him play for the Penguins yet. Is it because the trade actually went through that we have to bite our tongues?

Well aside from giveaways and turnovers Matheson actually factors out pretty decently analytically.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Well aside from giveaways and turnovers Matheson actually factors out pretty decently analytically.
He's an average defensemen making a lot of money for a long time and is probably our 4th best LD if everyone was healthy.

You don't have to agree, but it's pretty easy to see why people would hate the trade at this point.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He's an average defensemen making a lot of money for a long time and is probably our 4th best LD if everyone was healthy.

You don't have to agree, but it's pretty easy to see why people would hate the trade at this point.
People defending him say things like shelter him on the bottom pairing. Why are you acquiring a guy with that contract to play on your bottom pairing?

I hate the narrative that we can fix crap players. The Niskanen trade was a decade ago.

The Schultz trade was 5 years ago, and he went back to playing like garbage.

Daley was just a horrible fit in Chicago. He was fine before and after.

Not trying to derail the thread. I’m rooting Matheson but I hate the trade.

It’ll be interesting to see if the new GM makes any tweaks or rides out the season as is to get a feel of the team.

I also don’t think he will be able to fire Sully immediately even if he wants to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
People defending him say things like shelter him on the bottom pairing. Why are you acquiring a guy with that contract to play on your bottom pairing?

I hate the narrative that we can fix crap players. The Niskanen trade was a decade ago.

It’ll be interesting to see if the new GM makes any tweaks or rides out the season as is to get a feel of the team.

I also don’t think he will be able to fire Sully even if he wants to.

Because you need to have 3 legit defensive pairs to succeed.

Do you know the difference between why we beat the Caps those two cup years?

Their 3rd D pair got caved in and ours help up.

Your third pair D is more important than a bottom 6 winger etc.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I also don’t think he will be able to fire Sully immediately even if he wants to.

Lol, cringy.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Just look at the last 3 games and how the 3rd pairing literally gave up goals in every game with sheltered minutes. So I do agree you want 3 good pairings. Last year JJ-Schultz gave up 5 of the 9 goals and that was playing sheltered minutes. So our 3rd pairing played less than 1/4 of the game but gave up 55% of the goals. You want a reason why we lost in the playoffs that was the big reason the team lost. Top 2 pairings give up 4 goals in 4 games. You can win with that.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

You can have a good bottom pair without one of them having a close to 30 mil dollar contract and not great form in the most recent seasons

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think Allvin, if he's allowed, needs to move on from McCann while people still think he's capable of 35+ pts or more like last year. I'd rather they went and picked up a better 3rd line forward that will help the duo of Blueger-Tanev.

Oilers would make sense with his speed and being a LW/C, that team has the fewest natural left wingers in the league I think. But also, no clue who the f*** anyone would want in their bottom 6.

Reactions: Khelandros

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I think Allvin, if he's allowed, needs to move on from McCann while people still think he's capable of 35+ pts or more like last year. I'd rather they went and picked up a better 3rd line forward that will help the duo of Blueger-Tanev.

Oilers would make sense with his speed and being a LW/C, that team has the fewest natural left wingers in the league I think. But also, no clue who the f*** anyone would want in their bottom 6.
I’d move McCann and Rodrigues for Archibald and Caleb Jones. Not sure if it’s fair or not.
Then, when healthy, move Dumoulin or Petterson for a decent young third liner, give O’Connor a chance until then.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Zucker Malkin Kapanen
Trade? Blueger Tanev
Aston-Reese Jankowski Archibald
O’Connor Lafferty Sceviour

Dumo/Petts Letang
Matheson Marino
Joseph Ceci
Riikola Ruhwedel
Jones Weber

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’d move McCann and Rodrigues for Archibald and Caleb Jones. Not sure if it’s fair or not.
I...don't want Caleb Jones. He has (and his brother) Tony D type of "likes" on a certain social platform. I know we're all about letting people believe in what they believe in, but if you believe in dumb shit, I can't ignore that. Not interested in a bunch of :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: that think the pandemic isn't real and are about the anti-mask life.

But Archie, I miss that speedy wanker. He'd be a far better 4th line RW than E-Rod.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I...don't want Caleb Jones. He has (and his brother) Tony D type of "likes" on a certain social platform. I know we're all about letting people believe in what they believe in, but if you believe in dumb shit, I can't ignore that. Not interested in a bunch of :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: that think the pandemic isn't real and are about the anti-mask life.

But Archie, I miss that speedy wanker. He'd be a far better 4th line RW than E-Rod.
I was unaware of that, was thinking of a young physical type D, so perhaps someone else.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was unaware of that, was thinking of a young physical type D, so perhaps someone else.
I think the Defense is fine (health is the issue, no one could have imagined it would be THIS bad for injuries), I mean I would still like to move Dumoulin asap when he's back and go with Pettersson-POJ-Matheson/Riikola down the left side. The right side, a rotation of Weber/Ceci/Ruhwedel is fine within the minutes of 10-12 per night, that you can manage. But you can not have Dumoulin back playing top pairing minutes while being charred remnants of the dumpster fire he was last season heading into this season as well.

If *Insert GM Name Here* can dump both McCann + Dumoulin to a team and get a better fit for the bottom 6 wingers and if possible, an upgrade on RD (rental type), perfect, but ideally, I'd just want to see a better 3rd line winger and maybe a pick coming back.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am curious what Dumoulin's 10 team No Trade List would be, I would wager probably the Canadian teams which takes 7 off there.

Buffalo?
Detroit?
LA?

Reactions: Gurglesons

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Also as bad as Matheson's give away to take away ratio was Ekblad's was worse every year. So I think it was the system. I not passing judgement on this trade after 2 games from Matheson when our team was all playing terrible. I love his skating and skill package and think he can be a good player for us.

I always said this trade has nothing to do with what Hornqvist does. Whether we win or lose this deal all comes down to how well Matheson does. If Matheson turns his game around with us we win the deal and it is that simple. Matheson is one of they best skating defenseman in the league and has above average skills in all areas so if he learns to play in our system and plays to his potential then we win this deal. A 26 year old defenseman with his skill set that plays to his potential is worth much more than a mid 30's winger.

If Matheson doesn't turn it around with the Pens we lose the deal because of his years and contract. It was a win this year with the real money savings but if he doesn't turn it around like Niskanen, Schultz, and Daley did then it is a bad deal. I like the deal because it is a high risk high reward deal that has a ton of upside. Better than trading assets to get someone to take Hornqvist or have to retain part of Hornqvist's salary. Watching TJ go on waivers and nobody took him tells me Hornqvist had negative value. Matheson had negative value also but at least he has the upside and the age to actually have a chance to not have negative value.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Also as bad as Matheson's give away to take away ratio was Ekblad's was worse every year. So I think it was the system. I not passing judgement on this trade after 2 games from Matheson when our team was all playing terrible. I love his skating and skill package and think he can be a good player for us.

I always said this trade has nothing to do with what Hornqvist does. Whether we win or lose this deal all comes down to how well Matheson does. If Matheson turns his game around with us we win the deal and it is that simple. Matheson is one of they best skating defenseman in the league and has above average skills in all areas so if he learns to play in our system and plays to his potential then we win this deal. A 26 year old defenseman with his skill set that plays to his potential is worth much more than a mid 30's winger.

If Matheson doesn't turn it around with the Pens we lose the deal because of his years and contract. It was a win this year with the real money savings but if he doesn't turn it around like Niskanen, Schultz, and Daley did then it is a bad deal. I like the deal because it is a high risk high reward deal that has a ton of upside. Better than trading assets to get someone to take Hornqvist or have to retain part of Hornqvist's salary. Watching TJ go on waivers and nobody took him tells me Hornqvist had negative value. Matheson had negative value also but at least he has the upside and the age to actually have a chance to not have negative value.

Three paragraphs. You are learning ;)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

McCann is on pace for 40 pts right now in an 82 game season?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
You can have a good bottom pair without one of them having a close to 30 mil dollar contract and not great form in the most recent seasons

Sure you can.

But the concept of what pair that contract plays on is irrelevant as long as that player plays well.

Now there is a big question of if Matheson can play well. Im more optimistic than most but the only relevant question is “is Matheson making the team better”

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

That 3rd line has done well so I see no reason to trade McCann at this point. Looks like we will eventually have extra defenseman to trade at some point this season although that depends when everyone is back.

Glad Matheson will be the next defenseman back to give him a shot to prove he can play well for us. If Matheson does that opens up many trade opportunities to improve someplace else. If both Matheson and POJ prove good in the coming weeks then another LD will most likely get traded.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He produces, but it's like the most inconsequential production, I wish I saw more out of his game. At times, he looks confused and this goes back to his days on the Canucks. I know he's not the brightest player, but I hold out hope he has another dimension to his game that turning 25 will finally just spring into action.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He produces, but it's like the most inconsequential production, I wish I saw more out of his game. At times, he looks confused and this goes back to his days on the Canucks. I know he's not the brightest player, but I hold out hope he has another dimension to his game that turning 25 will finally just spring into action.

I mean he costs 2 mil and produces at a 30 pt clip. I hope we don’t give him away for Archibald lol.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

That’s fine, but you also don’t need to spend $5 mil in cap on a bottom pairing dman.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I feel something along the lines of the McCann for Bennett idea that somebody brought up recently is a lesser version of the Neal for Hornqvist trade in the sense you might not be getting the better player, but you're getting the right player.

But I also can buy that he's at that stage of his career where he could break out at any point a la Rust. I also think he's your best bet to slide into the 2C role when the inevitable Crosby/Malkin injury happens.

I don't know. I could go either way with McCann. Probably depends on the return.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Then, when healthy, move Dumoulin or Petterson for a decent young third liner, give O’Connor a chance until then.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Zucker Malkin Kapanen
Trade? Blueger Tanev
Aston-Reese Jankowski Archibald
O’Connor Lafferty Sceviour

Dumo/Petts Letang
Matheson Marino
Joseph Ceci
Riikola Ruhwedel
Jones Weber

If Rudwedel, Riikola, and POJ hadn't played so well, I would be on board. As is, I'm not sure I use a forward like McCann to obtain another dman because then you immediately begin chasing down another 3rd line wing and I don't think that's Archibald. We have guys that fill a similar role already.

I would target a 3rd line player and an additional support dman. Something like Dumoulin+Sceviour for Bennett+Kylington+value evening pick. I pick Dumoulin because I have concerns about his overall abilities post-injury. He hasn't been all that great since. I would look to see if Pettersson can fill the role and then move POJ up.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Zuck-Geno-Kappy
Bennett-Bleuger-Tanev
DOC-Jank-Laffy

Petts-Letang
POJ-Marino
XXX-Rudwedel
XXX = one of Ceci, Matheson, Riikola, or Kylington

The path to tolerance is paved with intolerance, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce