Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Sign Beau Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What a flat salary cap means for the Capitals.

A "flat" salary cap refers to the salary cap not rising from one season to the next. The cap was flat for the 2021 season, remaining at $81.5 million rather than climbing as it has steadily done for several years. Now the NHL expects to be dealing with a flat cap for several more years.

"I think everybody is basically focusing on a flat cap or near flat cap for the immediate future," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a virtual press conference on Thursday.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Really see no way Rust gets a penny more than Guentzel if he plans on sticking around. It’s up to Hextall and Burke to see if Rust wants to be here. If so, I’d offer 5.25-5.75. If he kills it the next two years, I’d give him 6m twinning contracts with Jake for less term.

I easily see Rust taking an Oshie/Horny-type contract. Tons can change over the 1.5 seasons, obviously.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Really see no way Rust gets a penny more than Guentzel if he plans on sticking around. It’s up to Hextall and Burke to see if Rust wants to be here. If so, I’d offer 5.25-5.75. If he kills it the next two years, I’d give him 6m twinning contracts with Jake for less term.

I easily see Rust taking an Oshie/Horny-type contract. Tons can change over the 1.5 seasons, obviously.

I’m not really worried about paying Rust. I’m more concerned if it is the best usage of Rust as an asset and our overall cap.

Reactions: Trade

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why would UFA market change next year

Palmieri averaged on pace for 30 goals and 56 points per 82 games for the 5 years prior to this one.

I don't know of any 30 year olds with that kind of track record signing for 3.5 mil per with term.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
He wouldn't be. He'd probably be right around what you suggested. But you swap out Rust, get the return he brings, and bring in a player with similar production with elite talent and a physical, two-way skillset so you're not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

This is hypothetical, friend. Take a deep breath. :laugh: This team's not going to trade Rust, I can basically promise that. But in that scenario, I think it'd be worth it.

Over the past three seasons; Rust's averaged ~60pts per season and 30g. Hyman's averages ~55pts per season and 28g.

Im not against trading Rust. I just don't see Rust making much more than Hyman and they are the same age. Hyman is a bit older.

If you can trade rust for a good package and are guaranteed to sign Hyman, sure do it. I just would not trade Rust and back on getting Hyman.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
A team as barren in the pick/prospect pool as we are should probably start to think about cashing out on guys like Rust and Dumo before they fall off a cliff or are up for raises too rich for us. But I don't see the team doing it. They'd rather let those guys walk, imo, than to worry about cashing out and replacing them.

Though I do think Hyman's a really solid replacement. Not age-wise, but in terms of production and style. If you swap Rust for Hyman, I don't know that you'd really notice much of a difference and you'd get a nice return. But again, this team's not that cutthroat or forward thinking, and it won't happen, so this is all just kicking around ideas.

Dumo has been awesome since he came back. He is our best LD and signed to a good deal. You dont move him unless POJ blows the doors off next year.

Reactions: Trade

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Dumo has been awesome since he came back. He is our best LD and signed to a good deal. You dont move him unless POJ blows the doors off next year.
You don't move Rust either, but we're having a discussion about what players could potentially be moved to lessen the blow of the Sid/Geno/Letang decline.

But, as you said, at least with Rust there's a plan with Hyman.

Reactions: Darren McCord

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Those two years aside, that's kinda Rust as well.

Trending down from a point per game pace? Yeah I guess so.

In his last 110 games Bryan Rust has scored 36 goals per 82 games. That's a number Hornqvist never touched here. Palmieri either in his career.

And remember Hornqvist was five years older than Rust when we finally let go. And he's having a great year at 34.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I think he is a top ten RW in the league this year and last. That is exactly why I think we should get out of his contract, he's not a top ten RW moving forward and things will collapse.
You could say the same thing about Hyman as he's literally the same age as Rust. Age wise, they are nearly identical as their birthday's are about month apart. Hyman's playing with elite centers in their prime in Leaf Land. The wheels can come off at anytime. I'm not opposed to moving Rust but I rather be bold and go with someone younger then getting involved with Hyman. He's going to want more term than I feel comfortable with for a guy of his age & ability.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You could say the same thing about Hyman as he's literally the same age as Rust. Age wise, they are nearly identical as their birthday's are about month apart. Hyman's playing with elite centers in their prime in Leaf Land. The wheels can come off at anytime. I'm not opposed to moving Rust but I rather be bold and go with someone younger then getting involved with Hyman. He's going to want more term than I feel comfortable with for a guy of his age & ability.

You could say that. Trying to paint me as saying Rust we collapse immediately and not succeed here is painting me the wrong way.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
If the conversation is to shed salary cap, then it should start and end with Pettersson. It's not smart to pay $4m to your #5-6 Dman.

In fact I wouldn't mind trading him away for whatever and keep Ceci instead.

Reactions: orby and tom_servo

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Rust goes for whatever reason for a haul we should target Miles Wood. He's not as good and a couple years younger but he would be sick here.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure it really matters all that much what Rust or Hyman turn into a few years into their next deal. This team's got like, maybe 3 more shots at the Cup, if they even have that, before the wheels start to really fall off.

Which I suppose is an argument for trading Rust, getting some important futures, and running with Hyman who essentially replaces his role/production all but perfectly.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure it really matters all that much what Rust or Hyman turn into a few years into their next deal. This team's got like, maybe 3 more shots at the Cup, if they even have that, before the wheels start to really fall off.

But isn't that an argument for keeping Rust? Three more years? He's 28.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t get this discussion about moving Rust so we can sign someone we sign in FA...nah dog, you trade Rust 1) for a first round pick if we fail in the POs again this season or look like we’re not making the POs next season before the TDL, or 2) to a team looking to win in the next couple years for a younger player who’s shown glimpses but is just starting out as a NHL player....otherwise, don’t trade Rust

Reactions: Trade and tom_servo

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don’t get this discussion about moving Rust so we can sign someone we sign in FA...nah dog, you trade Rust 1) for a first round pick if we fail in the POs again this season or look like we’re not making the POs next season before the TDL, or 2) to a team looking to win in the next couple years for a younger player who’s shown glimpses but is just starting out as a NHL player....otherwise, don’t trade Rust
The team won't trade Rust, but he's walking next summer and Hyman, if we can get him, is a perfect replacement for Rust.

Again, the team won't trade him, but if we land Hyman + the haul Rust brings back, that puts us in a good position for the next season and beyond. But we're absolutely going to lose Rust next summer, pretty confident of that, especially with Geno, Letang, McCann and Kap all needing new deals.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Team looks set up to compete for the duration of Rust's contract

Barring something unforeseen happening, zero reason for him to move or even discuss it happening

This place bored of talking about the roster that's working and ready to blow it up already?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, people are bored. Nobody believes the team is thinking about moving Rust. But it's a more fun discussion to kick around ideas like Petts, Zucker, Rust out for a 1st, 2nd, great prospect and Hyman in and what that'd mean for the team now and moving forward.

What's the discussion we should be having in the cap thread like 2 weeks before the playoffs begin? :laugh: Whoa, can't want to hand two 36* year old guys like 5 year deals for a combined $14 million AAV!

*Letang will be 35. My bad. :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Neal for Hornqvist is a good one. But that happened what like, 6 years ago.

Scuds for Daley was not a hockey trade......but high way robbery. And at the time both teams thought they were getting rid of a complete crap player for some dude that just wasn't the old player. I meant like big time hockey trades.

Perron for Hagelin, Hagelin for Pearson, Pearson for Gudbranson, Pettersson for Sprong, and then Horny for Matheson...

I mean, like, what? How big does the hockey trade have to before it's a "hockey trade"? Anderson for Domi? Laine for PLD? Weber for Subban?

The "bigger" they are, the less frequent they are.

Probably free agent like Palmieri/Hyman/Saad/Granlund.

Honest question, if Rust plays to a level that justifies a big pay day...why would we let him go to sign on of these guys who may very well get big pay days themselves (in UFA relative to what they bring as it always the case with UFA signings).

I think if you are wanting to jettison Rust, you are getting a premium asset back and possibly a pick and you are doing so because someone like Poulin has made him tradable...and we are no longer in contention in which case I doubt they throw money at any of the guys listed.

The Rust out, Hyman in...it just makes zero sense to me. Now, Zucker out, Hyman in, sure I can see that. Rust? No. I am just not following the logic on this one (mainly because I don't think it exists).

So in the main boards you seem to think he's an established top ten RW but in here you think he's Cinderella.

It's okay for me to talk about my mama...its not okay for you to talk about my mama. Make sense?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Trending down from a point per game pace? Yeah I guess so.

In his last 110 games Bryan Rust has scored 36 goals per 82 games. That's a number Hornqvist never touched here. Palmieri either in his career.

And remember Hornqvist was five years older than Rust when we finally let go. And he's having a great year at 34.

Palmieri never spent a 110 game stretch where he spent 780 minutes with Jake and Sid/Geno and only 120 minutes with none of them. I don't think Hornqvist came close to that either. There's a very short list of guys in the NHL who've had better RW situations at 5v5, and obviously there's a ton of PP talent too.

And yet despite the quality of the situation remaining pretty much in place - more PP time if anything - his 5v5 p/60 is down by about 1 and his PP p/60 is down by about 2. Which is actually a pretty similar trend down to Palmieri.

Yeah, people are bored. Nobody believes the team is thinking about moving Rust. But it's a more fun discussion to kick around ideas like Petts, Zucker, Rust out for a 1st, 2nd, great prospect and Hyman in and what that'd mean for the team now and moving forward.

What's the discussion we should be having in the cap thread like 2 weeks before the playoffs begin? :laugh: Whoa, can't want to hand two 36* year old guys like 5 year deals for a combined $14 million AAV!

*Letang will be 35. My bad. :laugh:

I dunno that it's totally off the cards. We've heard Hextall was talking to teams about ways to get back in the 1st at the deadline. That's a pretty limited number of guys on the team who can do it. I doubt it's happening but if Hextall's going to rebuild the prospect pipeline quick like he and the media have talked about a bunch, something surprising's gonna have to happen.

Also re Rust and Dumo - Rust's got two peers on the team already with McCann and Kapanen, plays in a position that's flush in free agency, and has a number of guys on the roster/in the prospect pipeline who can plausibly fill in for him. Dumo's got no peers, POJ's not projected to be that good, and there's not really anybody in free agency that matches what he does. Not to mention Rust is one year closer to free agency, and his numbers demand more of a pay rise. Rust may or may not be a great idea, but it's plausible. Dumo's a non-starter unless I'm missing something.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I really like McCann and I think Kap's a gem. They're not Rust's peers yet, but I'm hopeful they will be as soon as next season.

Again, I'm not wholly against moving Rust if the right stuff falls into place. Hell, I'm in favor of it. But this team absolutely will not move Rust, they'd let him walk before moving him, imo.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
One last thought. I think Rust scores so many types of goals. Corner shots, ugly deflections, backhands. I understand his unlikely acceleration from a middle six mid 20s guy but he really does have a knack for the net. He was a playoff hero then became a big regular season scorer. What if he can be both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad