Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Sign Beau Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Last page of posts:

Boy.... I hope he has a growth spurt in the next few seasons...

I'm not shocked to see Matheson up there.
Guy skates in and takes shots close up a lot.

Shocked to see Ceci though.

tenor.gif

Funny thing is that you could be talking about either Surovy or Milan Kraft here according to us Pens fans back then.

Kraft DID have a nasty shot, though. Too bad he could never get it off because the rest of his game was like 2 steps behind.

I used to enjoy going back to the last pages on here to see the time capsule of that season. What a time it was.

Now you can only go back to 2012 to see the debate of Joe Morrow vs Derrick Pouliot. Spoiler alert: neither.

In a lot of ways I had the most fun with hockey back then. Zero stakes. Anything remotely good that happened was a treat, like the Morozov jersey moment. I remember Malone scoring like ONE pretty goal all season and putting him up on a pedestal as a future team fixture.

I mean... I was KINDA right.

Oh god Pouliot. See THAT is real disappointment. Strange isn't it that something like that upset me worse than the team wallowing around in hopelessness for a few years? I guess because I sorta knew there was little they could do about it at the time whereas a guy like Pouliot is a stupid unforced error made out of like... hubris.

That year was one of my favorites, but I've come to realize I only romanticize it because I was in my high school years and went to most of the games with groups of friends. Early on this season was a stark reminder that watching a legitimately bad hockey team sucks. Glad they turned it around. A lot of people on here do not realize how lucky we have been and how bad it can be. Even our last dark period was short compared to a lot of franchises.

Crosby is shit, just ask Semin.

It's super easy to be a fan when the team sucks. Wins are fun because they're not expected. No higher than reasonable expectations. Seeing a player you know sucks happen to score a goal is fun. :laugh: Like you said, in some ways, GenX hockey was the more carefree and fun hockey.

Yinz trippin' if you miss the GenX.

Just don't hockey that seriously if you get upset when a Crosby-Malkin team loses. They've got their Cups. Everything is good.

Yeah... it's mostly nostalgia. But I mean there really is something to be said about the gallows humor that comes with trying to root for a bunch of lovable losers. People (myself included) take things often far too seriously these days compared to then.

you don't want sid and some others on the pk during the regular season. but come playoffs all bet's are off the table. in fact, you could argue that it would be a big coaching fail if he and some others are not.

Man, I've been a Bills fan my entire life. I remember being 5 years old and crying my eyes out when Norwood went wide right against the Giants in the Super Bowl. A couple of rough years of GenX Penguins hockey wasn't even that bad. :laugh:

I'm definitely not worried about the post Sid/Geno era. The team's gonna suck, but sometimes that can be fun as hell too. :laugh:

I don't miss the GenX Pens X-treme H0Ck3y brought to you by Surge at all. What I do miss is, honestly, a fanbase that is more fun and less... well.. Stillers Nation.

One of the best memories of back then was how Morozov inexplicably owned Brodeur. That was when the only place to read about the games was in the next day's Post-Gazette column. I understand it's "better" now that jabroni's like all of us can post our nonsense online, but still, it was kind of nice.

Sorry OT, trade Zucker, Zohorna for president, etc.

2003 was the all time lowpoint in modern Pittsburgh sports... the pirates, Steelers and pens sucked.... guy junker got fired from sportsbeat... it was miserable lol

For me it's less the idea it was "fun" to cheer for bad teams, and more the idea that I didn't have preconceived notions about winning the game that made tuning in easier to take when they had off-nights.

I'll obviously miss the "highs" that come with having guys like Sid and Geno on the Pens, but losing games when those guys aren't on the team would also provide me with less angst.

Yeah. Back then I didn't have an Evgeni Malkin to bag on.

And we know how much fun that is for everyone.

Speaking of old time Pens....this is hilarious...

Beau is certainly a good sport about things. I'd buy him a beer.

Guy made 4 million playing a sport.
He should buy you a beer.

I want Crosby's career to be capped off by passing the torch/mentoring Bedard just like Lemieux did with Sid. I kinda gotta think it's written in the stars...

What is band aid Bennett doing these days?

What's your opinion on Evan Rodrigues this season?

You better make sure it's a plastic bottle. He'd probably end up hurting himself with anything coming out of glass or can.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
@Gurglesons as a follow up to your question, E Rod has been playing well recently. I do feel like he usually scores against crappy teams. I will need to check his game logs, but I bet he has scored the majority of his points against turd teams.

He’s playing better than I thought he would this season.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Evan Rodrigues 2020-21 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com (hockey-reference.com)

3 in 4 vs Boston
3 in 6 vs Buffalo
2 in 6 vs NJD
1 in 2 vs NYI
4 in 6 vs NYR
0 in 4 vs PHI
1 in 2 vs WSH

edit: p.s. not aimed at anyone in particular, but the tale of Evan Rodrigues - 14F one season, signed to be 3rd line the next - is a good cautionary tale for assuming we know too much about what Sully likes and dislikes based on who's getting played.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Evan Rodrigues 2020-21 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com (hockey-reference.com)

3 in 4 vs Boston
3 in 6 vs Buffalo
2 in 6 vs NJD
1 in 2 vs NYI
4 in 6 vs NYR
0 in 4 vs PHI
1 in 2 vs WSH

edit: p.s. not aimed at anyone in particular, but the tale of Evan Rodrigues - 14F one season, signed to be 3rd line the next - is a good cautionary tale for assuming we know too much about what Sully likes and dislikes based on who's getting played.
So 9 of his 14 points were scored against non-playoff teams. That is about what I would have guessed.

Didn’t Dupuis usually only produce against crap teams? Maybe I am confusing Dopee with someone else.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So 9 of his 14 points were scored against non-playoff teams. That is about what I would have guessed.

Didn’t Dupuis usually only produce against crap teams? Maybe I am confusing Dopee with someone else.

Yeah, although that's also due to playing more games vs the non-playoff teams - 22 vs NJ/Buf/NYR/Phil, 8 vs Bos/WSH/NYI. The 5 in 8 vs those guys is a pretty solid return; better than the 9 in 22 for non-playoff teams.

Might be fair to say his production against the good teams is a little untested due to not playing that many games vs them, but what he's done is all we could want.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, although that's also due to playing more games vs the non-playoff teams - 22 vs NJ/Buf/NYR/Phil, 8 vs Bos/WSH/NYI. The 5 in 8 vs those guys is a pretty solid return; better than the 9 in 22 for non-playoff teams.

Might be fair to say his production against the good teams is a little untested due to not playing that many games vs them, but what he's done is all we could want.

yeah, but I’ve seen enough to say that I’m not interested in trying him out on L2 next to Geno...he’s a good player to have in the bottom six though as he does provide some playmaking...

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
ERod is a perfectly serviceable player if you aren't relying on him to be a legitimate top 6 scoring type. I've said before that he reminds me a little of Dupuis - Erod isn't quite as good, but he's a similar "utility guy" who at least looks competent at every position and can provide secondary scoring. I definitely don't think he should be penciled in with Geno or anything, but considering he is barely making above the league minimum, he's been a positive contributor for the team this year and could be a useful piece in the playoffs on the third or fourth line.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be totally fine bringing back E-Rod if he doesn't ask for too big a raise. He's been solid in the appropriate role. He's the better Dominik Simon, imo.

Still gotta sort out that middle-6 winger situation though. Whether Carter or McCann plays 3C, we should still try to find a LW for Geno+Kap and another winger for the 3rd line, assuming we (I think rightfully) move on from Zucker.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I'd be totally fine bringing back E-Rod if he doesn't ask for too big a raise. He's been solid in the appropriate role. He's the better Dominik Simon, imo.

Still gotta sort out that middle-6 winger situation though. Whether Carter or McCann plays 3C, we should still try to find a LW for Geno+Kap and another winger for the 3rd line, assuming we (I think rightfully) move on from Zucker.

Ovechkin will be a UFA... ;)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think Rodrigues is going to price himself out with his season this year which is fine. Keep cycling in similar players.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

Guentzel Crosby Rust
????? Malkin Kapanen
McCann Carter Rodrigues
Aston-Reese Blueger Tanev
Lafferty Zohorna Angello

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hey you know what would be cool is to streamline the roster a bit, cut some fat and make a real play to go out and get Malkin a rock solid LW that will fit with him and give the team two legitimate scoring lines and more flexibility and options when the games get tight and you suddenly can't put up 7 against a crap team in the RS.

Hahahaha... yeah I know... I'm quite the delusional one. Whatever is leftover and doesn't really fit on any other line will do.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Rodrigues is going to price himself out with his season this year which is fine. Keep cycling in similar players.
Wouldn't be a huge loss. I'd keep him if he stayed cheap, but yeah.

We got guys waiting for a spot in Zoho and Angello. The year after we'll need a spot (hopefully) for Poulin and/or Legare.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wouldn't be a huge loss. I'd keep him if he stayed cheap, but yeah.

We got guys waiting for a spot in Zoho and Angello. The year after we'll need a spot (hopefully) for Poulin and/or Legare.

Exactly.

I think one big advantage to having a more conservative FO is that there will actually be like... AHL guys with some seasoning they can realistically work in moving forward. As opposed to being traded in an overly-generous package for like... Gudbranson or some dumb shit.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What about Saad?

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Saad Malkin Kapanen
McCann Carter Rodrigues
Aston-Reese Blueger Tanev
Lafferty Zohorna Angello
I like Saad more than most, but I don't know if he's the sort of guy we need for Geno+Kap. Miles Wood (I know, I have a problem) would be perfect. I would seriously be working the phones to try and pry him out of NJ, even if it cost significant assets. The issue is that it'd require a 3rd team to get involved, and that's always a headache.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
yeah, but I’ve seen enough to say that I’m not interested in trying him out on L2 next to Geno...he’s a good player to have in the bottom six though as he does provide some playmaking...

I don't love the idea but I think it could work for 20-30 games. My big question is rodrigues is coming good as a player who plays his own game rather than being a good servant type player - this gonna work with Geno?

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Whoever they go with, it would behoove the pro scouts to target someone with a legitimate offensive toolbox as opposed to "ZOMG FAST" and "TRIES SO HARD."

I’d like to propose a hot new take of having a balanced roster with different kinds of players to fill different roles instead of min-maxing our dexterity and speed scores for the best THAC0.

Yes, I know about the halfling bonus to saving throws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad