Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Sign Beau Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
A team as barren in the pick/prospect pool as we are should probably start to think about cashing out on guys like Rust and Dumo before they fall off a cliff or are up for raises too rich for us. But I don't see the team doing it. They'd rather let those guys walk, imo, than to worry about cashing out and replacing them.

Though I do think Hyman's a really solid replacement. Not age-wise, but in terms of production and style. If you swap Rust for Hyman, I don't know that you'd really notice much of a difference and you'd get a nice return. But again, this team's not that cutthroat or forward thinking, and it won't happen, so this is all just kicking around ideas.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
tenor.gif

Someone asked and I explained? What are you 7?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because at a certain point we're doing their last few seasons a disservice by ditching what works in favor of a better bargain elsewhere.

Hypothetically my argument is to acquire a 1st, prospect along the lines of Kaut, and a UFA signing like Palmieri to replace Rust.

I'm not sure that is a bargain. I think that is hypothetically how you extend your window past one year which Hextall and Burke were hired to do.

All I see happening if we resign Rust is repeating what happened in 17-18 and 18-19 which was falling in love with your cup winning roster.

Last edited:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Hypothetically my argument is to acquire a 1st, prospect along the lines of Kaut, and a UFA signing like Palmieri to replace Rust.

I'm not sure that is a bargain. I think that is hypothetically how you extend your window past one year which Hextall and Burke were hired to do.

All I see happening if we resign Rust is repeating what happened in 17-18 and 18-19 which was falling in love with your cup winning roster.

Palmieri? How does putting older and worse players on the roster extend the window?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Palmieri may be regressing. No thx.

Injecting youth has done wonders for us this year. We're just faster all over the ice. Would like to continue with that approach.

We're virtually forced to let Petts or Ceci go. Let's say Ceci makes 3 mil next year and returns, we'd be looking at 29.1 mil allocated to the defense, compared to 23.8 mil this year. Way too much.

This is why we have Joseph, to lighten the drop-off.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's pretty optimistic to assume a UFA with Palmieri's track record signs a 3 year deal for 3.5 mil per.

I could see him signing a one year prove it deal for that much.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd only be comfortable doing this insane, never-gonna-happen move Rust endeavor if we land Hyman. Extremely similar production, works with elite talent, fills Rust's role while also bringing a physical edge. Saad's the fallback, but I don't think he's on the level of Rust or Hyman for a number of reasons.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why would UFA market change next year

81.5m worth of new cap around the league plus a season of adjustment.

But, whatever adjustment shows in Palmieris next contract, shows in Rusts and probs a little extra unless there's a nice discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad