Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Sign Beau Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Whoever they go with, it would behoove the pro scouts to target someone with a legitimate offensive toolbox as opposed to "ZOMG FAST" and "TRIES SO HARD."

I think for the price it is hard to find a player that has a better offensive toolbox than Rodrigues tbh.

I really don't understand this criticism of our team at all. People plead for identity. Then we focus on it and then it is like.. get a different identity.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don’t think we have the same identity as we did in 2015 though. That’s the issue for me. I think people fool themselves into thinking our Cup winning rosters were a lot faster and more skilled than they really were, instead of being balanced.

And for the record that doesn’t mean get rid of E Rod per se. It just means we don’t need 5 guys that play the same way and fill the same role.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Whoever they go with, it would behoove the pro scouts to target someone with a legitimate offensive toolbox as opposed to "ZOMG FAST" and "TRIES SO HARD."
Yeah. Targeting speed without any other consideration is as dumb as targeting physicality or size without any other consideration.

Though I think we need either a Hagelin or an early Kunitz more so than another big offensive guy right now. Unless Kap wants to settle into the Hagelin role, then we could definitely use another gunner (which is why I wanted to kick the tires on Mantha, before Yzerman used some weird alien magic to get a king's ransom for the guy from Washington).

It's about the mix, imo. Geno's no defensive stalwart, he's not going to be coming back down low, tracking assignments through the neutral zone/defensive zone, etc. Kap loves to cheat a bit and wait for a stretch pass for a shot at a breakaway, though he's not terrible in his two-way game. That line either needs a Cup-era Hagelin or a 2009 Kunitz. I think Miles Wood--again, I know, obsessed--would be perfect. But that's a damn hard move to pull off.

Reactions: madinsomniac

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’d like to propose a hot new take of having a balanced roster with different kinds of players to fill different roles instead of min-maxing our dexterity and speed scores for the best THAC0.

Ha... outstanding. What rules we using? 5 is a little weird but it's my vote.

But really though... a big detriment to this roster last few years has been this horseblinder focus on like one or two attributes and the results are often guys with 20 breakaways finishing none of them.

I know people there days are borderline frightened of all-out skill but this team needs a little.

Shit for that matter go get a guy or two that can put the fear of Gary Roberts in some of these bastards. Like you said... there needs to be some variation and a multitude of skillsets.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think for the price it is hard to find a player that has a better offensive toolbox than Rodrigues tbh.

I really don't understand this criticism of our team at all. People plead for identity. Then we focus on it and then it is like.. get a different identity.

Not really meaning ERod. I'd be a bit of a dolt to complain about what he's brought vs price.

Yeah. Targeting speed without any other consideration is as dumb as targeting physicality or size without any other consideration.

Though I think we need either a Hagelin or an early Kunitz more so than another big offensive guy right now. Unless Kap wants to settle into the Hagelin role, then we could definitely use another gunner (which is why I wanted to kick the tires on Mantha, before Yzerman used some weird alien magic to get a king's ransom for the guy from Washington).

It's about the mix, imo. Geno's no defensive stalwart, he's not going to be coming back down low, tracking assignments through the neutral zone/defensive zone, etc. Kap loves to cheat a bit and wait for a stretch pass for a shot at a breakaway, though he's not terrible in his two-way game. That line either needs a Cup-era Hagelin or a 2009 Kunitz. I think Miles Wood--again, I know, obsessed--would be perfect. But that's a damn hard move to pull off.

Eh I dunno if I agree for a variety of reasons. First off your assessment of Malkin's game particularly when the matches REALLY matter is... a bit off. He cares. He'll come back and play in his own end. Expecting him to do that all RS is just not gonna happen, though. I think people get it a little twisted. Dude has played like a damned 3rd D in a ton of playoffs and I don't see why he wouldn't again.

I LOVE Kap's game this year but lets face it the sample size is tiny and he was coming into this year as a question mark on the top lines. We aren't exactly far removed from that. Counting on him for TOO much at this point isn't smart. I want another REAL top six player on that line and I don't really have much use for another "200 foot player" either. This team has been half 200-foot-player'd to death the last few years then when they get here... they seem to stop playing a 200 foot game all the time, anyway. Stop fooling around and get Malkin his Guentzel or just move him to wing on Crosby's line FFS.

I will say Miles Wood is pretty awesome. Good luck getting him out of Jersey, though.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We spend a lot of time focusing on the forwards with this too, but the same argument applies to the blueline. I don’t think we need to go and get a Hal Gill, but having three pairings of positional guys hasn’t been too successful for us. Again, basic qualities such as mobility should be fine, but why not put a mobile sandpaper guy in every once in a while or get a guy that can clear the crease while supporting a player like Matheson (if Ceci walks for more money$) or Marino?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Not really meaning ERod. I'd be a bit of a dolt to complain about what he's brought vs price.

Eh I dunno if I agree for a variety of reasons. First off your assessment of Malkin's game particularly when the matches REALLY matter is... a bit off. He cares. He'll come back and play in his own end. Expecting him to do that all RS is just not gonna happen, though. I think people get it a little twisted. Dude has played like a damned 3rd D in a ton of playoffs and I don't see why he wouldn't again.

I LOVE Kap's game this year but lets face it the sample size is tiny and he was coming into this year as a question mark on the top lines. We aren't exactly far removed from that. Counting on him for TOO much at this point isn't smart. I want another REAL top six player on that line and I don't really have much use for another "200 foot player" either. This team has been half 200-foot-player'd to death the last few years then when they get here... they seem to stop playing a 200 foot game all the time, anyway. Stop fooling around and get Malkin his Guentzel or just move him to wing on Crosby's line FFS.

I will say Miles Wood is pretty awesome. Good luck getting him out of Jersey, though.
Yeah, I don't know what to make of Kap yet. He was great for half a dozen games but is that Kap? I don't know. No idea what to make of Geno either. He looked putrid early on, like legit horrendous, then got real hot for a stretch before injury. It's a crapshoot which Geno we're getting when he comes back. Then there's the issue of both those guys coming off of lengthy injuries, so it's all up in the air. It's gonna take time for them to get their speed/timings back, etc. That's why I'm not ready to anoint them the saviors of the season or anything yet.

I don't know. This season's weird. I hope we see some real work this summer by Hextall and Burke though. Shake things up. I know we are in a solid spot despite injury and all that, but we've seen this team have great regular seasons before blowing mud in the playoffs before. Not saying it's gonna happen, especially with the new weird divisional stuff and how bad the East seems to be, but I'm not holding my breath. I still think this roster needs some tinkering.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Anyhow, my hottest take is that Meteor Swarm < Abi Dalzim’s Horrid Wilting.
giphy.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don’t think we have the same identity as we did in 2015 though. That’s the issue for me. I think people fool themselves into thinking our Cup winning rosters were a lot faster and more skilled than they really were, instead of being balanced.

And for the record that doesn’t mean get rid of E Rod per se. It just means we don’t need 5 guys that play the same way and fill the same role.

I don't really see a huge difference between this roster thought process wise and the 2015-16 / 2016-17 Penguins

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I don't know what to make of Kap yet. He was great for half a dozen games but is that Kap? I don't know. No idea what to make of Geno either. He looked putrid early on, like legit horrendous, then got real hot for a stretch before injury. It's a crapshoot which Geno we're getting when he comes back. Then there's the issue of both those guys coming off of lengthy injuries, so it's all up in the air. It's gonna take time for them to get their speed/timings back, etc. That's why I'm not ready to anoint them the saviors of the season or anything yet.

I don't know. This season's weird. I hope we see some real work this summer by Hextall and Burke though. Shake things up. I know we are in a solid spot despite injury and all that, but we've seen this team have great regular seasons before blowing mud in the playoffs before. Not saying it's gonna happen, especially with the new weird divisional stuff and how bad the East seems to be, but I'm not holding my breath. I still think this roster needs some tinkering.

That's all fair. I guess I just mean moving forward, though. If Malkin is a thing going forward then friggin support the guy properly at 36 years old FFS. Don't hand him some try-hard with rocks for hands and bitch when he can't make it work because he NEVER works with those guys.

Anyhow, my hottest take is that Meteor Swarm < Abi Dalzim’s Horrid Wilting.

Completely agree. People get all caught up in the flash of MS though. But Horrid Wilting won't tag party members, has leveled damage and will put the opposing party's saving throws in the toilet.

Skull Trap > Fireball, too.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Yeah I don’t think the supporting players on the ‘16 team were necessarily some insanely talented, soft skill, all-hands team.

That said the speed was legit a huge factor imo. But it was more that everyone could play the game as a team together at a high pace and we were so fast to loose pucks, rather than 12 forwards who could all burn.

But yeah, I’d place motor and tenacity/relentlessness above the skill.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Do you demand a shake up every off season? Why would we shake up this group? How is the East bad?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Again, Sully makes me hate ERod. He’s not a top 6 player, but Sully doesn’t understand that. Erod is okay when he’s in the bottom six.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Do you demand a shake up every off season? Why would we shake up this group? How is the East bad?
Every season we continue to shit the bed in the playoffs, yeah. Hasn't happened yet, but until this team shows a pulse in the off-season, I'll just assume the trend of playing pretend continues.

Zucker should be swapped if we can find a deal that makes sense. We still need another winger for Geno's line, with a specific skillset that isn't easy to find.

I think it's a mistake to be satisfied with this group.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don’t think this team needs a total shake up, unless Sid needs a wake up call to stop playing his lawful evil paladin like he’s still watching Game of Thrones. You just need to tweak some parts for better execution.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Every season we continue to shit the bed in the playoffs, yeah. Hasn't happened yet, but until this team shows a pulse in the off-season, I'll just assume the trend of playing pretend continues.

Zucker should be swapped if we can find a deal that makes sense. We still need another winger for Geno's line, with a specific skillset that isn't easy to find.

I think it's a mistake to be satisfied with this group.

I mean, ED will probably knock out Zucker.

Shake up to me involves moving four or five pieces. Seems stupid with the success we'e had this year considering the talent in this division.

We will be in a worse division next year. CBJ will be rebuilding, PHI will probably make some big moves that blow up in their faces as they are apt to do. NYI get a year older. WAS gets a year older.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, ED will probably knock out Zucker.

Shake up to me involves moving four or five pieces. Seems stupid with the success we'e had this year considering the talent in this division.

We will be in a worse division next year. CBJ will be rebuilding, PHI will probably make some big moves that blow up in their faces as they are apt to do. NYI get a year older. WAS gets a year older.
That's a pretty significant overhaul, imo. Shakeup just means a piece or two swapped out to me.

I still think it's a mistake to lose Zucker for pure cap space. I'd rather lose TB, a guy who stands to be the 4C moving forward, than to lose Zucker for nothing. I think there's a Perron-Hagelin type deal to be found there. Unless we can move TB for a middle-6 winger to replace Zucker once he's taken by Seattle. Either way, somebody's gonna have to be dealt unless we want to get into a bidding war over guys like Coleman or Hyman.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's a pretty significant overhaul, imo. Shakeup just means a piece or two swapped out to me.

I still think it's a mistake to lose Zucker for pure cap space. I'd rather lose TB, a guy who stands to be the 4C moving forward, than to lose Zucker for nothing. I think there's a Perron-Hagelin type deal to be found there. Unless we can move TB for a middle-6 winger to replace Zucker once he's taken by Seattle. Either way, somebody's gonna have to be dealt unless we want to get into a bidding war over guys like Coleman or Hyman.

Wow. I can't disagree more. Losing Blueger will be a death knell to this team.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't care about the hows whys and whats re: Zucker so long as he isn't back next season.

Losing Blueger would be horrible.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Wow. I can't disagree more. Losing Blueger will be a death knell to this team.
That's a very hefty overreaction to losing a guy that's going to play 4C for another year before battling McCann for the 3C spot once Carter's done, imo.

I like TB a lot, but "death knell to this team" is some asinine stuff. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's a very hefty overreaction to losing a guy that's going to play 4C for another year before battling McCann for the 3C spot once Carter's done, imo.

I like TB a lot, but "death knell to this team" is some asinine stuff. :laugh:

You must not fully comprehend the role Blueger exists in. Him and Carter / McCann are completely different players subject to completely different usage.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
@Big Friggin Dummy my opinion on Kap is he was a player we need in the top 6 going into this season I was confident he would shine.

I honestly think if this team can play a full 60 minutes in a game we can win it all. Maybe I'm too optimistic but we gotta remember we are missing Malkin and Kapanen right now.

The 6 goals one period really hurt my mental thought process on this however I still hold out hope that we can move on from that and hope that is a wake up call for the penguins and Sully.

Still regular season however we gotta start looking at building the next season roster.

I want the below if possible.

Zucker and pettersson traded/ taken by Seattle.
Zucker honestly his pace isn't bad just need the 5.5 million for moves.

Need the cap space plain and simple and need to make roster changing moves.

Top priority signings: top 9 lw (I am unsure if we will get a top 6 forward as it may be McCann slotted and Bleuger long term cheap deal. 3 to 3.5 x 5 years. Hope he signs that.

Ceci has played really well see if he will go for like a 2.5 x 2 deal. ( most likely will go to Ufa to Get more but atleast try)

Fill other D spot internally or cheap like this years Ceci.

I think the biggest thing to remember is this year coming up is easy decisions it's the year after where we have a lot of contracts up that we have to make decisions.
Franchise altering decisions!!!

Malkin Rust McCann kapanen Letang all done with there contracts

Malkin will take less maybe 7.1 because of his number.

Letang who knows what he wants but I'd want to keep him. I imagine his current contract or a little less. Would love if he took like 5.5 or 6 to help us chase.

Rust kapanen and McCann are most likely 3/4 of our top 6 wingers.
We have Poulin but will he be ready to take a spot?
These 3 will all want raises. Do we try to keep all 3 or get 2 of em locked up and let one loose. This is looking too far in the future and unsure what we are doing this off-season to even know the cap situation year after.

Reactions: Trade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad