Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Sign Beau Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honest question, if Rust plays to a level that justifies a big pay day...why would we let him go to sign on of these guys who may very well get big pay days themselves (in UFA relative to what they bring as it always the case with UFA signings).

I think if you are wanting to jettison Rust, you are getting a premium asset back and possibly a pick and you are doing so because someone like Poulin has made him tradable...and we are no longer in contention in which case I doubt they throw money at any of the guys listed.

The Rust out, Hyman in...it just makes zero sense to me. Now, Zucker out, Hyman in, sure I can see that. Rust? No. I am just not following the logic on this one (mainly because I don't think it exists).

Right now, none of the top 6 Ws available this summer have the numbers to get as good a pay day as Rust in free agency. Unless Rust wants to offer a big discount (or waits until the '22 offseason to sign and has a really bad 21-22 season), a guy we sign this off-season is almost certainly cheaper than Rust from '22 onwards.

Which is not the main reason you do it.

It's about there being three roads on what to do with Rust. One is to lose him for nothing in '22. One is to reup him at a cost that may not match his future contributions. The last is to trade him for assets. If the latter is the plan, it has to be this summer. It can't be summer '22 because he's a free agent. I guess you could sign him this offseason and trade him before his new deal kicks in, but he's going to be a far less attractive asset on that sort of money. And this summer, Poulin isn't ready. It's either make do or mend from within the roster - promote Carter maybe - or sign a free agent.

The fact that the free agent signed this off-season has a good chance of being an equal or better contributor for their cap hit from '22 onwards does factor in from this point as we're talking about whether the team can afford to lose Rust from a contention standpoint. Nobody likes the idea of trading him for assets if it hurts us as a contender but if we can get a reasonably priced UFA it changes a lot.

But basically it comes down to which of the three options is the most appealing. I think there's good reason to think losing him for nothing and fat UFA contracts are both unappealing options. Trade and replace mightn't be fantastic either, but if the other two options aren't great it should be an option on the menu - with the quality and cost of potential UFA replacements being a big part of whether to go there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
One last thought. I think Rust scores so many types of goals. Corner shots, ugly deflections, backhands. I understand his unlikely acceleration from a middle six mid 20s guy but he really does have a knack for the net. He was a playoff hero then became a big regular season scorer. What if he can be both?

We can get even more for him in a trade after we win the cup this year :)

Bill Torrey the best GM in hockey history IMO always said you needed to turnover 20% of the roster to be a repeat champ.

Is Rust going to have the desire left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad