Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Please Be Nice To Us, JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
How many players can we bury in the AHL and get maximized cap savings to sign someone like Haula?

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Crosby - Poulin
McCann - Haula - Kap
Janakowski - Tb - Tanev

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kasperi Kapanen
Cody Ceci
Mike Matheson

Also, Jack Johnson.

The old man likes his alliteration.

Not to get overly picky...but technically alliteration has three of the same, not just too. Now, if it was Kasperi Kasper Kapanen, Cody Coco Ceci, Mike Madman Matheson, and Jack Junk Johnson, we'd be in literary and poetic heaven.

Daily reminder that Matheson is not a top 4D. If he's in our top 4 it's likely to be a major issue. Ceci is a #6 at best as well. These guys are nooot going to drive play, they're going to need shielding.

Matheson just did top 2 minutes with Florida. Why wouldn't he be capable of performing a top 4 role with a good partner? Ceci is a depth signing. There's a 3rd pairing that's up for grabs...or rather, 1 slot that's up for grabs why 4-5 guys. Just be cause JR makes the signing doesn't mean there's an automatic roster spot.

Yeah, okay, but, like, when does context ever matter?

When it's convenient to my argument but not yours.

To be fair, that's why I posted the stats, I wanted to get insight from our overseas brethren.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Again, I'm pretty bullish on Zohorna's ability to play in the NHL, but I don't think this organization is going to give him anywhere close to a chance to do so. And it's not a JR thing, it's a coaching staff thing, before we get the inevitable "I'm so against JR" circle jerk going again. :dunno:

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
How many players can we bury in the AHL and get maximized cap savings to sign someone like Haula?

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Crosby - Poulin
McCann - Haula - Kap
Janakowski - Tb - Tanev
Could send Lafferty down as he doesn’t have to clear waivers. Send Aston-Reese down or trade him and there would be a little over $3 in cap space with 12 Fs. If Haula signed for $2mil, leaving $1 mil for callups/injuries...

Guentzel - Malkin - Kapanen
Zucker - Crosby - Rust
McCann - Haula - Tanev
Janakowski - Blueger - Sceviour
Rodrigues

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wouldn't hate adding Athanasiou if he came very cheap.

I was on CF yesterday and noticed he was unsigned. Jeez...when you look at some of the guys signed and realize he isn't, not a good sign for him. Trouble is, I imagine he get a decent contract overseas, so he's likely not going to take a crap deal here. He's been a hard ball player on contracts his entire career and I imagine there are very few GMs willing to have a debate with him right now. He did himself no favors in Edmonton. At this point though, I wouldn't hate adding him...but I see little need.

More like Radim Vr-nadda.

:(

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Crosby - Poulin
McCann - Haula - Kap
Janakowski - Tb - Tanev

We aren't. Simple as that. You don't sign guys with intention of burying them.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Crosby - Poulin
McCann - Haula - Kap
Janakowski - Tb - Tanev

He has had two consecutive seasons with time missed from that knee injury.

22c3941a93a3578b56b4a5a539b5a4f8.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
"Two" as per Merriam Webster:

"the repetition of usually initial consonant sounds in two or more neighboring words or syllables (such as wild and woolly, threatening throngs)"

Definition of ALLITERATION

tenor.gif

I literally just looked at my writing book at it says three or more! What the hell! I was always learned on three in grade school as well. Odd. Timelines must have shifted. That said, my writing book was from college about 15 years ago.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Crosby - Poulin
McCann - Haula - Kap
Janakowski - Tb - Tanev

I'd personally rather have Granlund just becasue of the injuries and I feel hes a much better player but hes going to cost a little more and it would be difficult for either to happen

Reactions: ownal

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Again, I'm pretty bullish on Zohorna's ability to play in the NHL, but I don't think this organization is going to give him anywhere close to a chance to do so. And it's not a JR thing, it's a coaching staff thing, before we get the inevitable "I'm so against JR" circle jerk going again. :dunno:

I mean, Rutherford has done everything possible to give him an NHL chance by signing him.

What about the coaching staff/Zohorna's game are you seeing that makes you think they won't give him a chance though?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, Rutherford has done everything possible to give him an NHL chance by signing him.

What about the coaching staff/Zohorna's game are you seeing that makes you think they won't give him a chance though?

Well, for starters, it's only a one year, two-way deal, which doesn't make a lot of sense, financially speaking, for Zohorna to spend a year or two in WB/S adjusting to North American ice for a call up. I don't know what he's making in the Extraliga, but I'd warrant it's more than he'd be getting in WB/S without the hassle of traveling, relocating, paying lawyers for visas, dealing with taxes, etc.

Secondly, Zohorna's not quite skilled enough to justify jumping in in the bottom 6 without an adjustment period-- a lot of his goals are off the rush when he uses his straight-ahead speed and size to buy time for himself and get free for a shot. But he's not going to have that extra second or two in the NHL, so he'll either need time to get that straightened out in WB/S or he'll play for a game or two and then get sat in favor of NA players. You don't exactly need an advanced degree in game theory to see that coming.

I was hoping they would have brought him over for a bit in the spring to adjust and get to know the system, but they apparently didn't with the COVID and all. Which isn't their fault, but I also just don't see it being very likely that he'll even come over for the start of the AHL season, when he could just stay in the Extraliga and make good money there.

Again, I think he could do very well here if brought over and given time to adjust, but I don't think the coaching staff would be willing to let him work his game out, nor do I see any incentive for Zohorna to cut his Extraliga career short for a handful of games in WB/S.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My tl;dr take on RZ is basically I feel like a one year deal is a waste on him. I mean, it's basically just keeping someone else from signing him this year and should not be considered a serious attempt to bring him into the Pens' organization.

Especially since we signed 8 million 4th liners for league minimum on one way deals.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My tl;dr take on RZ is basically I feel like a one year deal is a waste on him. I mean, it's basically just keeping someone else from signing him this year and should not be considered a serious attempt to bring him into the Pens' organization.

Especially since we signed 8 million 4th liners for league minimum on one way deals.

He is an RFA so, basically Riikola situation.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Is he making 700k US in the Czech league?

No, but he's not making 700k unless he's on the big squad. And he's expressed interest in playing with his brothers in the KHL. :dunno:

Like I get that we all yank our cranks to the idea of the NHL as being the best league, but honestly, no Euro wants to come over and play in the AHL unless they're young and know that it's their best shot at getting a long NHL gig. Zohorna's 24. Next year he'll be 25. How much longer should we hold on to those rights?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No, but he's not making 700k unless he's on the big squad. And he's expressed interest in playing with his brothers in the KHL. :dunno:

Like I get that we all yank our cranks to the idea of the NHL as being the best league, but honestly, no Euro wants to come over and play in the AHL unless they're young and know that it's their best shot at getting a long NHL gig. Zohorna's 24. Next year he'll be 25. How much longer should we hold on to those rights?

It is a free asset. If he wants to come over and try to make the team in camp, he can. He made an extra 90k for the signing bonus and the team can loan him back to the Euro league.

I don't really see the problem for either in this situation.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It is a free asset. If he wants to come over and try to make the team in camp, he can. He made an extra 90k for the signing bonus and the team can loan him back to the Euro league.

I don't really see the problem for either in this situation.

Which is fair, I just don't think he'll ever come over here. We'll hold his rights until we hit the contract limit and then we'll release him. :dunno: It makes sense to a degree, but it also feels like a wasted contract that we paid a signing bonus for and that's it.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

Hasn't he been playing with his brothers his whole career? I thought I read his older brother was actually more highly touted but never wanted to cross the pond.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well, for starters, it's only a one year, two-way deal, which doesn't make a lot of sense, financially speaking, for Zohorna to spend a year or two in WB/S adjusting to North American ice for a call up. I don't know what he's making in the Extraliga, but I'd warrant it's more than he'd be getting in WB/S without the hassle of traveling, relocating, paying lawyers for visas, dealing with taxes, etc.

Secondly, Zohorna's not quite skilled enough to justify jumping in in the bottom 6 without an adjustment period-- a lot of his goals are off the rush when he uses his straight-ahead speed and size to buy time for himself and get free for a shot. But he's not going to have that extra second or two in the NHL, so he'll either need time to get that straightened out in WB/S or he'll play for a game or two and then get sat in favor of NA players. You don't exactly need an advanced degree in game theory to see that coming.

I was hoping they would have brought him over for a bit in the spring to adjust and get to know the system, but they apparently didn't with the COVID and all. Which isn't their fault, but I also just don't see it being very likely that he'll even come over for the start of the AHL season, when he could just stay in the Extraliga and make good money there.

Again, I think he could do very well here if brought over and given time to adjust, but I don't think the coaching staff would be willing to let him work his game out, nor do I see any incentive for Zohorna to cut his Extraliga career short for a handful of games in WB/S.

I mean, I agree with a lot of that, but that's not on the coaches. It's on nobody but the circumstances that he couldn't come over at the right time and he can't have a full season in the AHL to get up to speed like he needs to. If you think the coaches should be shoehorning him into the team come what may because that couldn't happen then I don't agree - unless he's got enough about him to justify his place in the NHL from the get go and it's a matter of him getting better as he gets acclimatized, then the odds are being in the NHL when he's not good enough won't be good for him. It rarely is for any player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad