Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Mathensum

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Simon is pretty underrated. I think he and McCann would work pretty well.

I hope we can get Sheary back for cheap too to be on Sid's RW.
I wouldn't be against having a 3rd line of Sheary - McCann - Simon, but unfortunately if Sheary is on this team he would be played with Sid and for that reason alone, JR should not sign him.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Just sign simon, Jarry and Lafferty. Catapult jj to the moon. Add in Poulin. Move Murray and evaluate things once the season starts. Thats all I hope happens and pray JR doesn't do something stupid in free agency

Jake - Sid - Kap
Zucker - Geno - Rust
Poulin - McCann - Simon
sceviour - TB - Tanev
Lafferty

Dum0 - Letang
MM - Marino (M&Ms Pairing from now on)
Petts - Riikola/Ruh

Jarry
Desmith

That line up is good enough to start and get you to the playoffs. You can make more deals later to bolster it.

There is also decent capspace savings for next Summer

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Just sign simon, Jarry and Lafferty. Catapult jj to the moon. Add in Poulin. Move Murray and evaluate things once the season starts. Thats all I hope happens and pray JR doesn't do something stupid in free agency

Jake - Sid - Kap
Zucker - Geno - Rust
Poulin - McCann - Simon
sceviour - TB - Tanev
Lafferty

Dum0 - Letang
MM - Marino (M&Ms Pairing from now on)
Petts - Riikola/Ruh

Jarry
Desmith

That line up is good enough to start and get you to the playoffs. You can make more deals later to bolster it.

There is also decent capspace savings for next Summer

He needs one of these then........

moonvisa108062016__78400.1474053030.1280.1280.jpg

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I wouldn't be against having a 3rd line of Sheary - McCann - Simon, but unfortunately if Sheary is on this team he would be played with Sid and for that reason alone, JR should not sign him.

No Sheary. Let Poulin try to make and impact. Signing sherary automatically blocks any chance. If Poulin doesn't pan out you still have Lafferty, ZAR, AJ, Angello or event potential O'Connor.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This team has far too many hopes for me.

I hope Rust doesn't have too much of a regression.
I hope Marino doesn't have a sophomore slump.
I hope Kapanen fits in the top 6.
I hope Jarry is ready to be a #1.
I hope Poulin is ready for L3.
I hope McCann can figure something out.
I hope Matheson is Schultz 2.0 and not Jultz 3.0.
I hope the assistant coaches make a significant impact and can help Sully get his head out of his ass.
I hope JR can get a good return on Murray.
I hope JR can dump JMFJ without too much pain.
I hope JR can find a somewhat significant piece to pair with McCann and Poulin.
I hope JR can find a 3RD better than Ruhwedel.

I'm more confident towards the top of the list, but there's a lot of things that are going to have to break the Penguins way for me to have any faith in this team getting where they want to be.

Every one of those things are fair to "hope" but what we tend to forget, is that every single team does the exact same thing. Every roster has a certain level of "hope". Some over-achieve, some under-achieve, some just achieve as expected. To suggest that we are the only ones "worried or hopeful" on several similar things is short-sighted.

@JimmyTwoTimes @Empoleon8771

Simon does enough other things that I'm not worried about his underwhelming production away from Crosby. He's a 3rd line playmaker who's decent enough defensively that it's not an issue. No he doesn't have Lafferty's speed, but his ability to hang onto the puck and make plays with it is worth more then Lafferty's speed and overall lack of offense. Lafferty is a nice 13/12F. But you don't want him anywhere but L4. Maybe he takes another step but at 25 I'd say the odds (which are small for most players) are even smaller. And until he takes that step, you don't scratch him for Simon.

Lafferty, Simon, and ZAR are all in this 12/13F category. Each one has their pros and cons and they are all worth that 900-$1mil range. Dime a dozen 4th liners but they are OUR dime a dozen 4th liners. None hold that much value except to us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Anything worthwhile in here for those of us without access. Thanks

Yohe: Breaking down the best trade destinations for Matt Murray
Oilers:
make sense: ther's been inquiry...Oilers don't want to give up first rounder, Oilers need goalie
doesn't make sense: no idea what he is saying here...I guess they can find cheaper goalie
Hurricanes:
make sense: they desperately need goalie for the next step
doesn't: Canes are cheap don't have money and Murray is not sure thing. However according to Yohe, Flower would fit perfectly cause he has awesome post game celebration (not making this up)
Flames:
makes sense: same as others they desperately need a goalie to get them to that next level
doesn't: same thing...do you want to commit a lot of money for someone who is not sure thing
Avs:
makes sense: having Grueber and Murray combo intriguing idea, and they have so many prospects they would not notice a good one losing in trade
doesn't: no pressure why spend money on goaltending?
Wild:
Makes sense: Guerin connection
doesn't: Guerin connection (he may actually know that MM sucks)
Sens:
makes sense: they have money to spend
doesn't: he may be too costly (how do these two things make sense together asking Yohe?)
Sabres:
makes sense: if they want to keep Eichel happy and get better they need goali and they have cap space
doesn't: cant't find the reason why not!

You're welcome;)

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Anything worthwhile in here for those of us without access. Thanks

Yohe: Breaking down the best trade destinations for Matt Murray

Flames
Buff
Edmonton
Colorado
Carolina
Ottawa
Wild

Everything in the article is typical Yohe fluff.
It was less in depth than many posts on here.

Basically boiled down to Flames, Oilers, Avs, and Canes are good teams and need a goalie, but might not like Murray enough with so many other options.

Wild need a goalie and you know, Billy G. used to work with JR.

Sabres and Sens have a bunch of cap room.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Every one of those things are fair to "hope" but what we tend to forget, is that every single team does the exact same thing. Every roster has a certain level of "hope". Some over-achieve, some under-achieve, some just achieve as expected. To suggest that we are the only ones "worried or hopeful" on several similar things is short-sighted.
I don't think many serious contenders have this many question marks with not much in terms of plan B's.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
True, but no other team has been seriously contending for about the last 14 years, either. It's different when you're nearing the end of your window vs. the middle or beginning.
I don't see the connection. It has little to do with Crosby, Malkin, and Letang aging and everything to do with JR bungling the roster post-Cups and Sully misusing the roster he did have.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Avs:
makes sense: having Grueber and Murray combo intriguing idea, and they have so many prospects they would not notice a good one losing in trade
doesn't: no pressure why spend money on goaltending?

Weird take. Makar has one season left on his ELC, Landeskog has one season left at 5.6, MacKinnon has 3 seasons left at 6.3, Kadri has 2 seasons left at 4.5 and their Johnson is aging with 3 years left. They absolutely have pressure to win before players get more expensive or leave in free agency. Grubauer who is also one signed for one more season went down in the playoffs with some kind of lbi and Francouz was a problem.

They might baulk at spending on a goalie but they have pressure and reasons.

Reactions: Shady Machine

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sheary lead the Pens forwards in Corsi.

Not sure how anyone could be against Sheary coming back at 1-2 mil.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Weird take. Makar has one season left on his ELC, Landeskog has one season left at 5.6, MacKinnon has 3 seasons left at 6.3, Kadri has 2 seasons left at 4.5 and their Johnson is aging with 3 years left. They absolutely have pressure to win before players get more expensive or leave in free agency. Grubauer who is also one signed for one more season went down in the playoffs with some kind of lbi and Francouz was a problem.

They might baulk at spending on a goalie but they have pressure and reasons.
Yohe's point was more they aren't under pressure to make a big move. They have a good team as is, so they might not want to spend big on a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad