Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JR is the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
okay, I want Jake, but I do think Jake - Letang is asking for some sort of end to the universe, so maybe get Jake, but not pair him with Letang.
Gardiner paired with Letang or Schultz would be a bit risky.
Dumo Letang
Pets Schultz
Gardiner Guds

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
People are overreacting to the impact of signing Tanev, he's not going to negatively impact the Penguins in the long-run anymore than Rust would have.
Doesn't that depend on the next move and how we need to free up some cap space?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We don’t have to be in the gutter. Retool as needed and try to keep getting younger. Luck out on some draft picks and make good trades. Finally don’t sign bad contracts.

Tanev is an average bottom 6 player it’s so unnecessary to give 6 years. If he doesn’t work out it’s just another difficult contract to move.

What’s he going to do next free agency. A third of our roster will be out of contract next year.

I'm just trying to convince myself that its not terrible. Its one thing giving a guy like Zucc alot of term who atleast moves the needle. Tanev isnt worth messing up your future cap situation.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Gardiner would become the new whipping boy around here by New Years.

His ill timed mistakes will drive all of you bananas.

JR needs to find a legit top four puck mover that Sullivan can lean on, and Gardiner is not that guy.

I think he’d succeed in the Pens system more. I don’t mean like JJ, turning shit to gold or whatever. But Oleksiak for example gave legitimately ok results his first year, in large part of how the Pens system insulates defensemen, despite imo not really being a quality player. Gardiner would have his moments but he’d also help keep Malkin and Galch in the O zone.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I wish there were some way we could get our hands on Kapanen again. Even if it were in a separate deal and it meant losing Rust that's one guy I'd do it for. The Leafs still need to shed salary.

They don’t. They need to sign Marner and Ceci and will have 11 mil in cap plus 5.3 mil in LTIR plus sending down 1 D man 700k. So that’s 17 million.

Reactions: Ryder71

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kahun-Malkin-Galchenyuk
McCann-Staal-Rust
Simon-Bleuger-Tanev

Gardiner-Letang
Dumoulin-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson

How do we do it? Would we lose a game? I doubt. I’ll give all the picks, I don’t care.
That forward lineup is badass. Deep as any in the league.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'll give Jim until next year, but it's pretty hilarious our biggest weakness, transition defense, has yet to be addressed despite moving a beloved D-man and a ppg winger.

Reactions: Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I won't be against Hornqvist. I think he's still good for 20-25.

Reactions: Turin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That's why I said "Rust would have", because I expect Rust to get moved for futures.
If that in fact is the case then getting Tanev somewhat is negated. You get a gritty, speedy forechecker and in turn you lose a speedy, forechecker with better offensive acumen who has scored some big goals for us. Doesn't exactly move us forward.

Reactions: Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm just trying to convince myself that its not terrible. Its one thing giving a guy like Zucc alot of term who atleast moves the needle. Tanev isnt worth messing up your future cap situation.

Zucc is way older and makes more. The Pens future cap situation isn’t going to be screwed by a 3 mil contract. The Pens situation isn’t even screwed by JJ, it’s the fact that JJ is a net negative at a pro level that hurts them.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'll give Jim until next year, but it's pretty hilarious our biggest weakness, transition defense, has yet to be addressed despite moving a beloved D-man and a ppg winger.

I think it has been addressed. Letang, Dumo, Petterson, Schultz, Riikola, and Gudbranson can all retrieve and turn pucks up ice. That used to be the only good thing Johnson could do, but that has went to shit. Maatta was the real lone guy who was an absolutely atrocious guy at getting pucks out of the zone and he's gone.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think it has been addressed. Letang, Dumo, Petterson, Schultz, Riikola, and Gudbranson can all retrieve and turn pucks up ice. That used to be the only good thing Johnson could do, but that has went to ****. Maatta was the real lone guy who was an absolutely atrocious guy at getting pucks out of the zone and he's gone.

Johnson is worse than Maatta at that. Way worse.

Reactions: Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Thankfully every LD who might help that is still potentially available

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think it has been addressed. Letang, Dumo, Petterson, Schultz, Riikola, and Gudbranson can all retrieve and turn pucks up ice. That used to be the only good thing Johnson could do, but that has went to ****. Maatta was the real lone guy who was an absolutely atrocious guy at getting pucks out of the zone and he's gone.

Maatta was scratched for most of the postseason. We still sucked at it. JJ sucks but his absence and Rikkola playing 10 minutes/game ain't moving the needle that much.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If that in fact is the case then getting Tanev somewhat is negated. You get a gritty, speedy forechecker and in turn you lose a speedy, forechecker with better offensive acumen who has scored some big goals for us. Doesn't exactly move us forward.

You're basically getting a pick and prospect for free at that point if you look at it like that. Based on the Shaw trade, you're probably looking at something like a 2nd and 3rd for Rust. If you can get a near NHL ready prospect and a 3rd for Rust, I think you're overall in the green.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I cannot believe Rutherford looked at us on camera and told us how awesome Jack Johnson is.Sold us a big lie big lie....

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Johnson is worse than Maatta at that. Way worse.

I don't deny that. I don't think Johnson starts the season here though, so I pretend like he's not here. I'm hoping if I keep doing it, he won't be.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

It’s probably not the end of the world if he can be a consistent 3rd liner for most of the contract. It’s more it wasn’t necessary and JR while mostly great at trading has been making some unnecessary moves/poor decisions lately.

Yeah he can try to fix them but **** we need a better transition from the back end for the forwards to work better.

I thought there was 2 priorities this preseason. Kessel and the bottom 4 D pairing to be sorted. I guess there is still time.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Maatta was scratched for most of the postseason. We still sucked at it. JJ sucks but his absence and Rikkola playing 10 minutes/game ain't moving the needle that much.

I think Riikola will have an increased role here this season. If he wouldn't I couldn't envision us signing him and then re-signing Ruhwedel, and I couldn't envision him wanting to stay.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
in 5 years 3.5 million might be the equivalent of 2.5 million today.

Right, and that is why I never get too hung up with money. That being said, We have to bet this dude is going to have 4 really good years with us because if his wheels fall off in the next couple of years, thats going to be a rough contract to be strapped with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad