Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Man this part is where I feel there is an interesting discussion. JR sat there and said Geno/Sid wanted protection. I call 100000000000000000000% bull**** on that. But they said it over and over and over again.

Then we lose in the playoffs and what is the FIRST thing out of 71's mouth? "We need to be faster". What in the ****? :laugh:

So what is real? Because I was getting sick and damn tired of hearing how "comfortable" Sid/Geno felt out there with Reaves in the lineup. Complete bull****.

Judging by the way Malkin has always behaved after a dirty hit or when the team needs a lift. He seems fine fighting his battles.

Judging by how smart Sid is when it comes to hockey. I can understand him appreciating the role, but let’s be honest. Reaves probably would’ve been fine here if we got a legit 4C. And let’s be more honest Sid and Geno play in a way that better suits the Downie’s, Cooke’s and Kunitz’s of the world. Not Reaves.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Judging by the way Malkin has always behaved after a dirty hit or when the team needs a lift. He seems fine fighting his battles.

Judging by how smart Sid is when it comes to hockey. I can understand him appreciating the role, but let’s be honest. Reaves probably would’ve been fine here if we got a legit 4C. And let’s be more honest Sid and Geno play in a way that better suits the Downie’s, Cooke’s and Kunitz’s of the world. Not Reaves.
I still don't think Reaves was a terrible move on paper. He's not a bad 4th liner. Probably overpaid, but still. That's one where the GM really needed to sit down and talk to the coach first. It's like those two decided to never speak to one another for 14 months or something.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I still don't think Reaves was a terrible move on paper. He's not a bad 4th liner. Probably overpaid, but still. That's one where the GM really needed to sit down and talk to the coach first. It's like those two decided to never speak to one another for 14 months or something.

Trading your only ready for the NHL center prospect for a 4th liner is pretty bad.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Aside from signing Johnson, and maybe letting Bonino go and the Hagelin for Pearson deal in hindsight I don’t see much to be mad about other than shit happening in life, and the fact that there’s a price to pay for success. Dumo, Rust and Schultz got raises that were inflated a bit at the time due to winning, Fleury had to go, Tocchett and Boterill were poached due to success, Kunitz had to go, Daley with his injuries had to go. You can’t put the team changing for the worst all on JR after all.

Plus last year was the only really crappy year since, 2018 they looked really competitive until injuries sunk them.

Reactions: Peat and Dominance

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
the Reaves trade might not have been a compete disaster if they picked someone like Comtois (if they traded up a spot or two) or Ikonen IMO. Sundqvist wasn't doing much in Pittsburgh and had his chances. i think he wouldn't have found his stride without the trade. the trade looks that much worse because Lauzon had concussion issues.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
What a turd that that ended up being.
it hurts because Sundvist was a contributor to a Cup winner, but I also agree with the sentiment that Reaves could/should have been useful here. Reaves has shown he can play with good skaters. Acquiring Reaves only backfired because it seemed to coincide with the team around him getting inexplicably (based on the b2b cups) slower

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
it hurts because Sundvist was a contributor to a Cup winner, but I also agree with the sentiment that Reaves could/should have been useful here. Reaves has shown he can play with good skaters. Acquiring Reaves only backfired because it seemed to coincide with the team around him getting inexplicably (based on the b2b cups) slower

If Sundqvist showed half of what he did with the Blues with the Penguins, I doubt they would have sent him out, especially given the fact they had no 3C or 4C at the time.

It sucks when players you send out break out but it happens. Doesn't change the logic of the trade at the time of it happening. Shame too because I really liked what Sundqvist was able to do with the Blues. I often wonder if they didn't send him out, what the roster make up for us would be. Would Simon be here? Bleuger? Who knows.

Reactions: Giskard and Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I think the issue is more.. JR knew he wasn’t signing Bonino. So what exactly was his plan at C?

Reactions: KIRK and JackFr

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If Sundqvist showed half of what he did with the Blues with the Penguins, I doubt they would have sent him out, especially given the fact they had no 3C or 4C at the time.

It sucks when players you send out break out but it happens. Doesn't change the logic of the trade at the time of it happening. Shame too because I really liked what Sundqvist was able to do with the Blues. I often wonder if they didn't send him out, what the roster make up for us would be. Would Simon be here? Bleuger? Who knows.

Don’t really see what Sundqvist has to do with those two?

We needed a 3C and 4C heading out of 2016-17. JR knew he was low balling Bones and wasn’t signing Kunitz, and I’m pretty sure he knew Cullen was likely gone too.

We could’ve acquired Sheahan and ran Sheahan and Sundqvist up the gut and used valuable assets / cap space to solve the obvious D problems that were coming. Instead JR addressed an issue that wasn’t an issue and didn’t focus on the problems.

2017 off season - we need centers. JR signs Dumo and Schultz to nice deals with Letang and Maatta under contract. JR signs Hunwick and trades Sundqvist and a pick swap for a 4th line winger.

2018 off season. Oleksiak looks like a fine 5-6 D and we have Dumo, Letang, Maatta and Schultz under contract. We sign another D after trading Sheary and Hunwick when LW is the obvious need.

2019 off season. We move out Maatta and Kessel. Top nine wing talent and a legitimate # 4 D are the need. JR uses cap on a 4th line winger.

JR is consistently locking out positions where we should add cheap depth due to bigger contracts in the depth chart and typically spending assets and cap space to do it.

I love Rust, but when you have Sprong ready to break into the league. Why do you sign him to a 4 year deal and sign a UFA D for the bottom pairing vet role. Move Rust for an improvement for D. And let Sprong play as the bottom top nine RW behind Kessel and Horny.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What a turd that that ended up being.

Let me put it this way.

Sunqvist +1st 2017

for

Reaves + 2nd/Lauzon

Turned into

Reaves, 2018 1st, Gustavsson, Cole and 2019 3rd round pick

for

Brassard (Vegas retained salary), Dunn, Lindberg (Traded to Ottawa later) and 2019 3rd pick

Holy Crap!!!

Reaves and then Brassard for all that.

Imagine what 2017 and 2018 1st, Sundqvist, Gustavsson, Cole and a 2019 3rd could get you?

That's not even gonna make it to be a turd because you'll throw up before hand.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Subdqvist was making good progress exactly like you wanted for a prospect. That year in the NHL he had 20 goals and 23 assist while being a great defensive center. He was perfectly where he needed to be for a prospect.

I would argue he showed half and the upside was there. They just wanted reeves more and ignored the need for a center.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Subdqvist was making good progress exactly like you wanted for a prospect. That year in the NHL he had 20 goals and 23 assist while being a great defensive center. He was perfectly where he needed to be for a prospect.

I would argue he showed half and the upside was there. They just wanted reeves more and ignored the need for a center.

*AHL.

Now...tell me about the NHL. Then tell me about his NHL stats with the Blues the following year.

...was he all that perfect? I mean, really? Was he? We can't look at previous season (two years later) as a basis to judge whether or not we should have traded him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Don’t really see what Sundqvist has to do with those two?

We needed a 3C and 4C heading out of 2016-17. JR knew he was low balling Bones and wasn’t signing Kunitz, and I’m pretty sure he knew Cullen was likely gone too.

We could’ve acquired Sheahan and ran Sheahan and Sundqvist up the gut and used valuable assets / cap space to solve the obvious D problems that were coming. Instead JR addressed an issue that wasn’t an issue and didn’t focus on the problems.

I love Rust, but when you have Sprong ready to break into the league. Why do you sign him to a 4 year deal and sign a UFA D for the bottom pairing vet role. Move Rust for an improvement for D. And let Sprong play as the bottom top nine RW behind Kessel and Horny.

JR said a few times that they were waiting for guys that weren't necessarily available yet. Most of us figured that was Sheahan.

JR wanted Reaves. It's completely reasonable that Blues asked for Sundqvist in return. You gotta give to get sometimes.

Damn good thing we didn't trade Rust with the intent of replacing him with Sprong, eh? I'm quite happy having Rust and Pettersson.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People fretting about Sundqvist forget he looked pretty bad in his stints with the Pens. Like, Carter Rowney-clone bad. Just because he developed in St. Louis doesn't mean that's the Sundqvist we would have seen develop here, especially since JR seemed obsessed with re-signing Cullen and adding veteran centers to fill out the 3C/4C spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad