Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
man, I know the internet has some spicy takes, but saying that Sid and Geno aren't leaders keeps my ass cheeks warm on an alaskan night
Meh why even bother with the 1% of people who think that? They are probably just saying it to stir the pot anyway. 3 Cups. Legacy stamped for life. These 2 go down in the history books forever.

And the "but more!" people would say but more no matter what number they hit.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
man, I know the internet has some spicy takes, but saying that Sid and Geno aren't leaders keeps my ass cheeks warm on an alaskan night

It's the laziest narrative. They've both won Conn Smythes. Geno played maybe his finest game of his career in game 7 against the Red Wings in 09. I know he didn't score, but go back and watch tape of that game. Geno's defensive brilliance was crazy that game. He was a beast. And then Sid when the series was 2-2 vs Nashville went and had the best game of his career and got the momentum going for the Pens so that they could win that third Cup. And I don't think I need to bother posting their long and established point production in the playoffs.

And then look at how Geno plays when Sid gets hurt. He puts the friggin team on his back and carries them.

It's funny how leadership only becomes a question when the Pens lose. How about find another reason for why we lose when we do because it's obvious that Sid and Geno can and have lead this team to an absurd amount of success.

And oh if you want some more examples of actual locker room leadership, how about this:

- The numerous examples that I've read in the past of Sid reaching out and welcoming new teammates and making them comfortable

- Geno telling Orpik et al to f*** off when they dared try to take Sid's C from him while he was hurt

- Geno telling teammates that their play was unacceptable when Therrien was about to get fired. Then Geno went out and played like a beast. Therrien still got fired, but it wasn't because Geno didn't care.

etc etc etc.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And just a quick comment. Even if we trade JJ, it doesn't solidify anything for the Pens. It's the step in the right direction that needs to build and build. Grab a dman who can skate the puck up (new thread must say) to pressure and we are moving in the right direction.

But even with all of that, it guarantees nothing. Look at Tampa. People drool over their contracts, their players, their luck, etc. And they would KILL for just one this era. And losing with the right style is nice, but it's still losing and people will still blame something.

I guess ultimately just never forget how good it is. :) This era will be over one day. And we are going to look back and wish it was here again.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Meh why even bother with the 1% of people who think that? They are probably just saying it to stir the pot anyway. 3 Cups. Legacy stamped for life. These 2 go down in the history books forever.

Sid also has olympic gold, a WC and a WCH... all as captain. There are countless stories of him texting new players/draftees and welcoming them to the team.

I mean...

(There are less stories about Geno, but I am not doubting him either)

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Idk where the discussion is coming from but Sid is obviously a world class leader. Geno, all I can say is that he easily could have put the Pens in a real tough spot like Toronto’s stars, or left to be his own guy, and yet he’s still here 3 Cups later at 32 years old.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sid always has olympic gold, a WC and a WCH... all as captain. There are countless stories of him texting new players/draftees and welcoming them to the team.

I mean...

(There are less stories about Geno, but I am not doubting him either)

Geno leads in a different way. As in he bullies all the young guys and refuses to learn their names. Keeps them balanced with Sid being so nice :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

It's just a really odd take from a "veteran" poster. Kind of jarring to me, too, in hockey, which is the most "if you win, you're automatically good" sport in the world. Like, Toews will never get questioned again, but Sid and Geno still deal with these issues, from their own fans, no less.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If even one of the teams that Malkin and Crosby were on won a cup, even just one, then you could make a case for their leadership.

As it is you have to concede the point.

Reactions: KIRK

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Idk where the discussion is coming from but Sid is obviously a world class leader. Geno, all I can say is that he easily could have put the Pens in a real tough spot like Toronto’s stars, or left to be his own guy, and yet he’s still here 3 Cups later at 32 years old.

No one is saying they aren’t leaders. I’m sure as hell not. I’m just relaying what I was told about the disappointment for the room going to shit after Brassard sucking and Kessel turning the room into a toilet bowl and then wanting a vet in the room that’s willing to chill Geno and Letang’s emotions out and focus them on the game.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I will say this.

If we were disheartened by some obvious boneheaded moves that worked out exactly as most here said that they would, disasterous, and the ...... interesting ...... change in direction of building the team after the second cup, just imagine how frustrating it would be for players like Crosby and Malkin who are literally watching the last third of their careers needlessly flush down the toilet through unforced errors.

I would not be surprised if there was a ton of frustration in the locker room. I would be surprised if there was not.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's just a really odd take from a "veteran" poster. Kind of jarring to me, too, in hockey, which is the most "if you win, you're automatically good" sport in the world. Like, Toews will never get questioned again, but Sid and Geno still deal with these issues, from their own fans, no less.

I honestly don't know who said it. I probably skip over his/her posts because they aren't really worth a damn. There will always be a very small minority that says the craziest things. And hey.. maybe they think they are true. But oh well. 99% of people live on it.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The team wasn't a contender last year. After going back to back and being one game away from beating the eventual Cup winner in a 3 year span, I think it was just frustration and disappointment that they took a step back.

They know what a winning team looks like at this point. And they knew we weren't one. Maybe if you had more leaders or whatever, they win a round this spring so the optics change. Personally, I'm glad there's no in-between for them. It's either long run or embarrassing 1st round defeat. Ownership wanting to make money won't like it, granted.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I like the idea of trading Bjugstad + Johnson and then trading for Gusev from Vegas. I wonder if Vegas would accept a 2nd or ZAR

Reactions: Dominance

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I will say this.

If we were disheartened by some obvious boneheaded moves that worked out exactly as most here said that they would, disasterous, and the ...... interesting ...... change in direction of building the team after the second cup, just imagine how frustrating it would be for players like Crosby and Malkin who are literally watching the last third of their careers needlessly flush down the toilet through unforced errors.

I would not be surprised if there was a ton of frustration in the locker room. I would be surprised if there was not.

Man this part is where I feel there is an interesting discussion. JR sat there and said Geno/Sid wanted protection. I call 100000000000000000000% bullshit on that. But they said it over and over and over again.

Then we lose in the playoffs and what is the FIRST thing out of 71's mouth? "We need to be faster". What in the f***? :laugh:

So what is real? Because I was getting sick and damn tired of hearing how "comfortable" Sid/Geno felt out there with Reaves in the lineup. Complete bullshit.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I like the idea of trading Bjugstad + Johnson and then trading for Gusev from Vegas. I wonder if Vegas would accept a 2nd or ZAR

This is where not signing a 4th liner to 3.5m is helpful because you can sit and wait for teams to need to unload good players and you can snatch 'em up. We have our tweener up/down the lineup in Rusty. And Rusty is vastly more proven, especially in the playoffs.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Salary Cap: - Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!
TheDuderino said:
The problems with this team last year were, in order: a) defense continually turning the puck over b) poor goaltending c) short handed goals.

Feel free to tell me which one Tanev cures...
@TheDuderino I already told you what he helps fix. If you don't want to acknowledge it, that's on you. Since you cut it out of my quote here it is again...

Metrics have nothing to do with it. It's a strategic need. With the style this team is trying to play, forechecking and transition are its lifeblood. We absolutely needed to improve the forecheck, and Tanev will provide a huge boost there. Kahun should help as well.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Man this part is where I feel there is an interesting discussion. JR sat there and said Geno/Sid wanted protection. I call 100000000000000000000% bull**** on that. But they said it over and over and over again.

Then we lose in the playoffs and what is the FIRST thing out of 71's mouth? "We need to be faster". What in the ****? :laugh:

So what is real? Because I was getting sick and damn tired of hearing how "comfortable" Sid/Geno felt out there with Reaves in the lineup. Complete bull****.

I don’t see how those things are mutually exclusive. They only needed/wanted one guy to be the muscle, but the rest of the roster got slower.

It’s going to be pretty damn quick again if JJ leaves now.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don’t see how those things are mutually exclusive. They only needed/wanted one guy to be the muscle, but the rest of the roster got slower.

It’s going to be pretty damn quick again if JJ leaves now.

JJ out if only 1/2. That defense isn't solidified. They need the 2016 version of Daley in some way. Those are not cheap anymore.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
JJ out if only 1/2. That defense isn't solidified. They need the 2016 version of Daley in some way. Those are not cheap anymore.

And that is the point.

If anyone believes that Sid and Geno were content with three cups, their legacy is secure, etc., they certainly are wrong. I am sure that they are glad that they nailed those three but players like them want three more.

I never for a moment believed that came from them. Mario is a more likely pusher for that given comments he has made in the past and that he pays their salary now.

They still could win another cup, but JR's moves the past couple of years have made it much harder, and although he is actually once more building a team that he should have held onto, speed and skill, four dangerous lines who drive possession, the moves made the last couple of years, and need to correct them, have weakened this team by a tier or two.

Crosby and Malkin have to be livid at what went on and behind the scenes I would not be surprised if they were pretty animated about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad