Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You don’t know that bjugs leaving means no replacement. IF they get someone cheap like Lewis is there really that much of a drop off?

You save like 2.5 mil in cap space too.

Tanev bujs Horny
Simon Tb rust

Tanev TB Horny
simon Lewis rust

Tbh I’d move bujs and JJ to Anaheim for a pick and carter rowney back.

That would free up a lot of cap. And let TB be third line center.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Riptide and Beauner

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Damn some have amnesia. It took 2 flipping years to find a Bonino replacement (yes I know he wasn't the second coming) and folks think we are just going to be fine moving Bjugstad and finding a 3C to backfill. With what assets and cap space? Keep Bjugstad, trade Rust if you must, but do everything in your power to keep both.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Re 3C:

I think the only way Bjugstad gets moved is if the Pens think McCann is able to take over the 3C duty.

I hope they don’t. I still think he’s a work in progress at centre. He played it in Florida but was basically on L2, 3 & 4 at different stages.

That and Bjugstad worked out really well for us at 3C.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Damn some have amnesia. It took 2 flipping years to find a Bonino replacement (yes I know he wasn't the second coming) and folks think we are just going to be fine moving Bjugstad and finding a 3C to backfill. With what assets and cap space? Keep Bjugstad, trade Rust if you must, but do everything in your power to keep both.

We can be cap compliant without a forward going out. If we want a better D though we’d have to trade one.

I’d like JJ gone for nothing (add Jarry,picks) then Rust (with a pick if needed) for the best LHD you can get. Think we’d be pretty set then.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Nah dude Greg McKegg was an all time great!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We can be cap compliant without a forward going out. If we want a better D though we’d have to trade one.

I’d like JJ gone for nothing (add Jarry,picks) then Rust (with a pick if needed) for the best LHD you can get. Think we’d be pretty set then.

Agreed. Personally, I am fine with just dumping JJ and rolling with the D we have for now and finding an upgrade before deadline.

If there is someone materially better than Riikola that can pair with Guds OR an upgrade on MP, go get it, but I don't think it's necessary to start the year.

Reactions: KIRK and ownal

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Agreed. Personally, I am fine with just dumping JJ and rolling with the D we have for now and finding an upgrade before deadline.

If there is someone materially better than Riikola that can pair with Guds OR an upgrade on MP, go get it, but I don't think it's necessary to start the year.

This is my exact thought. Roll with Riikola and Guds as your bottom pairing and get a rental d-man at the deadline if the pairings aren't working out

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
This is my exact thought. Roll with Riikola and Guds as your bottom pairing and get a rental d-man at the deadline if the pairings aren't working out

I get that opinion as well as @Shady Machine but I think Riikola and Gudbranson are bad partners for each other and if that’s the case then Pettersson take quite a jump and puts more pressure on him because we’d be riding our top 4 pretty hard

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Kahun
McCann-Bleuger-Rust
Tanev-Boyle (2.5)-Simon

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson (2.5)-Schultz
Riikola-Gudbranson

Gives you about 3 mil in space, give Murray his raise. Boyle and Tanev can do most of the defensive heavy lifting.

Murray's raise isn't until next year, when a new contract would take effect.

And, if your numbers are right, I'd rather give Gusev 4M and have 1.5M cap space. :D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd point out that TIOPS report on that goes directly against (iirc) Mackey's statement that other teams were willing to do 4x4m for Johnson.

In a battle of the know nothings, it's best just to laugh.

BTW, JR bidding against himself is far more plausible than the idea of other teams willing to pay 4 x 4 for Johnson (4 for a year, I could see, but for 4 years is just plain comical).

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Man, this team’s forward group is going to be UGLY if we move Bjugstad.

We turned around and added Gusev. :D

You're higher on Bjugs than I am. There's a reason he never stuck as 3C in Florida when their top 2 centers were healthy.

Reactions: wheelz87 and Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The forward group arguably has more role-cohesion if you replace Bjugstad with a guy like Boyle.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The forward group arguably has more role-cohesion if you replace Bjugstad with a guy like Boyle.

Assuming you trust Blueger to be your 3C and are okay with paying a 4C 2M+ per.

EDIT: MODS LOCK THREAD PLEASE

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Id go into the season with this current forward group. Too many questions to be answered still. Plenty of guys who could take that next step...id rather not move and miss out on that.

Let the first few months play out and if its not happening with some then look for a trade. We have a GM who surely isnt shy in doing so.

And while our D looks meh on paper...that changes if Pettersson takes next step. Schultz gets back to where he was few seasons ago and healthy. Giving us 4 top 4 dmen in Letang, Dumo, Petts, Schultz. With Guds being a solid bottom D . One guy(JJ) wont destroy this whole team like some think. And if hes doing bad we continue to look for trade/bring in Riikola. If JJ will be as bad as most think I doubt you have to worry about him being in there come playoff time and thats what really matters.

The season will me more exciting than the last 2...with so many new players that are on the verge of breaking out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->